It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan 'set for emergency rule'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by WorldShadow

I think Musharraf is going to be replaced by bhutto with the US blessings. .

She might need a hacksaw-blade to make the swearing-in ceremony.

Bhutto placed under house arrest in Pakistan

At each turn, Musharraf has played into the hands of the Jihadists.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by OBE1

I guess. But you can't rule out that this whole arrest bit is just a sort of stage play to make Bhutto look like the good gal. I've been listening to Pakistani dissidents on the BBC a lot, lately, though. Very bright, very articulate. They see what kind of angle Musharraf and Bhutto are playing, though I agree with you that once Musharraf and Bhutto are out of the picture, and I feel they soon will be-the people don't trust either of them-the only people left to fill the power vacuum are the Jihadis.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Imagine the scene at the proposed rally today mentalE. Even more surreal...the concept of lawyers actually risking consequences by defending the democratic rule of law

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
The NYT article reports Bhutto is under house arrest. A Financial Times article claims she is under virtual house arrest...and the Age.com.au reports that Bhutto is not under house arrest...and there are no restrictions on her movement.

Give-up...going to bed.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by OBE1

I wouldn't call what Bhutto has 'house arrest'. She was at some huge rally/party/function yesterday, and even had regular policemen blocking off and redirecting traffic so as to 'keep her safe'.

It's funny how the Mush' tries so hard to shut down certain parts of the media and how they bounce back completely unharmed:
Geo TV

[edit on 9-11-2007 by babloyi]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Heh...scratch that. She is under house arrest TODAY, and it is probably because of what she did yesterday.

Anyhow, I don't see how you could argue that the emergency rule is to help the government deal with the current problems. Yesterday the Pakistani government (army?) made an exchange: 20 captured militants for over 200 captured army personnel.

[edit on 9-11-2007 by babloyi]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Bhutto is currently talking outside(?) our home through a megaphone while armoured vehicles and heavily armed police officers surround the property. Pakistan TV cannot show this can they? Perhaps it can be shown on the internet. So she is speaking to the rest of the world.

And a statement from Downing Street states that they are, "very concerned" with developments today.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   
There was an article printed yesterday about militants taking over the Swat Valley in Northern Pakistan in the times online.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

The police officers and troops, outnumbered and demoralised, laid down their arms before hundreds of pro-Taleban extremists who are imposing Islamic law in an area beloved of Western hikers.

Last week the militia publicly beheaded 12 soldiers.

The region used to attract foreign tourists to its Buddhist heritage and archaeological sites. It is now one of the main centres of al-Qaeda activities, a sign of the growing influence of Islamic radicals in northern Pakistan.

It doesn't look like Musharraf's Martial Law isn't intended to do anything but round up opposing politicians and lawyer's. Screw the rest of the country.

[edit on 9-11-2007 by GAOTU789]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by OBE1

Originally posted by WorldShadow

I think Musharraf is going to be replaced by bhutto with the US blessings. .

She might need a hacksaw-blade to make the swearing-in ceremony.

Bhutto placed under house arrest in Pakistan

At each turn, Musharraf has played into the hands of the Jihadists.

I suspect some power is behind her. Why would she risk returning if there was not a support system propping her. I nominate the US as her benefactor. This house arrest keeps her safe from malevolent opponents. We shall see.......

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by WorldShadow

House arrest lifted for Bhutto...

The Bush administration had earlier urged Musharraf to end the house arrest.

Well now... aint that interesting....

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Commonwealth has suspended Pakistan.

BBC: Pakistan barred from Commonwealth

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Gh thats not a one line post now is it?

lol just kidding.....

Im still shocked by how little attention this situation is recieving.....

A nuclear capable nation, ruled by a military dictator (yes hes a dictator, just because hes letting the US use his country as a staging ground for Iraq does not mean he is anything less) declaring martial law and attempting to remove any opposition to his regimes continuation is IMHO totally incomprehensible...

whew.......better breath now

lol

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Update

Pakistan has ended the emergency rule.

In his speach ending the emergency, President Musharraf said it was imposed due to ...
a conspiracy!

Pakistani Leader Ends State of Emergency Saturday, December 15, 2007

[edit on 12/15/07 by makeitso]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join