It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a way to seriously make a Light Saber?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Is there seriously a way to make an actual light saber? And if so please explain. This is a serious post.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jca2005

Hmmm, you would need to find a way to stop the laser beam without having anything on the end.

How do you stop a beam of light midair without using anything?

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
That is a good question. I guess there is something in the handle of the light saber, that emits something in there to do it but what?

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jca2005

I think it's probably best if we ignore Georgey for the purposes of this DIY lightsaber.

Now then, i have a question - what is it that defines the size the flame on a zippo lighter?

EDIT: Serious question here folks, i don't care whether or not the theory is incompatible, i just want an answer.

To jca; I'd imagine it's some sort of irradiated photon, tbh.

I was never too good with physics - i always settled for biology in high school.

[edit on 27-10-2007 by Throbber]

[edit on 27-10-2007 by Throbber]

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
History Channel did a show on this...

Take a look at the technology shown throughout the six Star Wars films and examine their viability through the eyes of cold hard science. Could a Death Star really be built? Can you build an army of clones? What is 3-D imaging, and where the can you get a Light Saber? Travel to a galaxy far, far away to answer all of these questions and more.

Link

It was pretty interesting, they addressed the light saber along with propulsion, anti gravity, other weapons like the Death Star beam.

I think a "real" light saber would have to be a plasma fountain with a magnetic component (otherwise they would never be able to "block" another light saber).

Jedi Monkeys, not just for splattering the Emperor with poo anymore...

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Sure, 4 AA alkaline batteries, a walmart toy, and a whole lot of imagination. Enjoy.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
Sure, 4 AA alkaline batteries, a walmart toy, and a whole lot of imagination. Enjoy.

ROFL, that's what I was thinking.

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I was also thinking along the lines of plasma and anti gravity.

We would have to go to the begining though too. How we make lasers, still in the experimental stage (and correct me if i am wrong), that we use differnt gas types and heat and then their expelled. I dont really know but i read about it somewhere.

Thing is, i say crystals because its a point of concentration for the laser to form, like if its a rod type crystal, the laser will take shape of it.

I dont know, i speak crazy talk. But cool stuff nevertheless.

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Anything is possible once you discover the technology to do it.

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 04:14 AM
link   
appologies for being a wet blanket , but the entire concept of the " light sabre " is a collection of fictional plot devices assembled for a movie

here is , in no particular order my analysis of why the light sabre works the way it does in the movies

" light " - well DOH! in a movie you have to be able to see the special effect - pluss different colours for heros and villans is a usefull plot device

thats why the light sabre is a colured " beam "

" parrying " if the light sabre cannot parry another - the combats will be over in miliseconds - bioled down to who can draw first

thats why the light sabre can parry

" parrying " part two

the ability to parry projectiles and beams is pure twonk , its only included so the heroic jedi do not get shot from range and die like muppets like the guy with the sword in the origional indiana jones movie

thats why it parrys beams , not because it can , but because it has to to save the idiotic jedi concept from certain death

"length "

again , the fixed lengh is kowtowing to the notion of the chivalric jedi - if i had one i would want it to be able to project a 1 to 100m beam tunable at will - so i could shoot people off roof tops and @ the ends of corridors - and scythe muppets who stood around like chaff

but that would not fit the jedi hero concept - so the blade is fixed length

"hum "

the humm is another effect put in soley for the benefit of the movie soundtrack

there you have it - the characteristics of the light sabre are selected not by logic , physics or compatability - but simply the whim of the director and demands of the script

even iff a portable melle " beam " weapon was developed - it would be unlikley to be used as shown in starwars - it would be more likley to be in the hands of engineers and commandoes - as a subsitute for dems and breaching charges

because without the super human abilities of the jedi - and the curious morality and ethics of the movies - the light sabre as a weapon is of very little value

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
check out this link, it might have some answers.....

www.futurehorizons.net...

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
A LIGHT SABER IS NOT A LASER

Light sabers, as envisioned originally, had nothing to do with light. The handle contained a spool of very fine "wire", power supply, and a force field generator.
The force field emminates from the wire, over a short distance, in all directions.The force field "pulls" the wire out till is is fully extended. The force field is gives it rigidity and does the cutting, by breaking the atomic bonds of what ever material it is used on.
It is still Sci Fi but at least the original explanation is plausible without completely ignoring all of the laws of physics.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Oh and by the way, "blasters" are not lasers either, they are plasma weapons, and their "projectiles" bolts of high energy plasma do not travel at anywhere near relatavistic speeds. They would make noise and since it is infact a physical discharge of material there would be a recoil. Thats why they carry cartridge belts blasters take ammunition.
What a geek I am

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
My thoughts on a "light saber" does not have a laser. Reason have already been explain. I look at a focused beam of plasma and maybe compressed air.

Just a point of view with Star Wars 3, the droids can be cut into any number of pieces but the weapon they use with the lightening out the end must be some really stout steel. The light sabers bounce off those. Just an observation....

The zippo lighter question poised. It's the nozzle that controls the flame with a given pressure. You want a larger flame, drill a little bit bigger orifice in the nozzle.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Wow, actually, you're all wrong.

If you read the star wars essential guide to weapons, the light saber's blade is described as a controlled electrical arc....this is more realistic than force fields, and lasers...

not sure if it would have all of the desired characteristics, but that's how it's explained.

As to blasters, they are actually a type of laser......read the book, guys.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

You got way way to much time on your hands mate

Joking

It would make sense though more than a laser, although i dont undertsand how two light sabers would clash together. Wouldnt the energy exerted by them push them away from each other

I cant believe I just asked that

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

wow !.......................... the " star wars essential guide to weapons and technology " you say ?

well i guesss that settles it then

time to throw away all real physics and engineering research , and build everything acording to the " schematics " in tat book

war will never be the same again

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
reply to post by jca2005

Hmmm, you would need to find a way to stop the laser beam without having anything on the end.

How do you stop a beam of light mid air without using anything?

or bending it , like making the laser light make a u-turn by using somekind of gravity particle entrapped between [ magnetic ]force fields.
as we all know extreme gravity bends light , so a gravity wake may bend the light around and if you do that you can make the laser light bounce between two points and the slingshot affect can make the photons go faster and faster after each bounce .
so this is in theory but I am not as well know with the effect and I don't know which particles may create this effect or if this have to be done some other way but bending the light is the clue because we can't stop light currently.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I don't know how to post a video but if a person was to go to youtube. Search Xmas light saber. You'll see a neat video of a light saber in action not star wars related.

Enjoy how the saber works.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
If you wish to look at it in an extremely technical manner, you should do it in steps.
1. What is the "beam"?
A laser would not look like that as you can only see it through fog or when it hits something. Plasma... what does plasma actually look like anyway? it really depends on the base material.

2. What stops the "beam" at a certain point?
A force field may possibly do the trick, but why stuff all that stuff into a tiny little handle and only use it to control light? You may as well knock over the other guy with it.

3. What's the point of stopping it at such a short distance anyway?
As someone said earlier, you'd want it variable so you could knock a guy off a rooftop or whatever.

4. Really, why not just use a sword anyway?
Possibly because a sword couldn't cut through as much stuff and the way a light saber can retract into itself.

Just my way of looking at it. So it's probably serverely flawed somehow. Meh.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join