It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a way to seriously make a Light Saber?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Sorry this is a bit off-topic, but it instantly sprung at me.
I remember reading some years ago that some nut had tried to build one using petrol or gas or something and the thing blew up xD
Just thought I'd mention it... careful you don't end up like Anakin in no. 3

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
These guys managed to lay their hands on a couple!

Good watch if you got 5 mins to waste

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by Daedalus

wow !.......................... the " star wars essential guide to weapons and technology " you say ?

well i guesss that settles it then

time to throw away all real physics and engineering research , and build everything acording to the " schematics " in tat book

war will never be the same again

Yes, because correcting people by citing the source for the technical explanation of a fictional technology is something someone should be chided for. thanks for the oh so witty reply

Care to start over, and try for a constructive post, instead of a big steaming wad of sarcasm, and counter-productive drivel?

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
reply to post by jca2005

Hmmm, you would need to find a way to stop the laser beam without having anything on the end.

How do you stop a beam of light midair without using anything?

My thoughts Exactly

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I'm thinking a regular sword dipped in gasoline and lit on fire will give you the effect you are looking for. It can burn things and slice them. Okay, it's not a light saber, but at least it's do-able.

Edit: If you hold it just right you might even be able to deflect bullets too (don't try this at home)

[edit on 6-11-2007 by b309302]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Ok, your main problem would be a power supply but here goes:

The handle (base) would have to contain a plasma generator (an electric ark is plasma) and a seperate device to form a magnetic field to the specific height you want the 'saber' to be. To prevent the magnetic field from expanding beyond the handle, there is a material that it used to constrain magnetic fields - this would be used to form the shape. Now that you can set up your magnetic field, your going to need plasma, which is attracted to magnetic fields (this is also the same technology behind plasma shields). Depending on how strong you want your beam to be is relative to the amount of plasma you supply, as well as the amount of power you have. You also have to take in consideration that once your beam interacts with an object its going to lose power, and new plasma will have to be supplied to 'recharge' it.

Look at how a plasma cutter works, its the same principle - the only difference is that your bonding the plasma to the magnetic field that is your saber constantly, rather then using that energy at the point of contact, which is what a plasma cutter does.

Have fun and be safe, you can be sure you'll be working with high currents and voltages. In fact, you probably shouldn't even try it.

While yes, the technology is there, its completely impractical. I seriously doubt you will be able to provide the device with a sufficient power supply. More likely you will have to hook it up to an external supply, like a plasma cutter has to, in order to power it, and even then, you still have to supply energy to that (a plasma cutter that can cut through 1/2" steel needs 5KW+ power just to operate).

So no running around with your light saber to fight the dark side.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I like all this talk about controlled electrical arcs and plasma generators.

It all leads me to one conclusion....

If there was ever one man on this earth who could create a working and functioning light saber it would have to be
Nikola Tesla of course.

As Halzman above me suggests - Maybe some kind of miniature variation of a Tesla coil in the saber handle creating a plasmic electrical arc controlled by magnetics and frequency - Simple!!!

[edit on 18-11-2007 by CyberTruth]

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
sure its simple lol but you still need to worry about a power supply, everything else is the easy part

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jca2005

Mirthful Me had it about as close as you an get it. A few years ago when Episode I came out, along with a plethera of merchandise, I picked up a child's book in a grocery store about becoming a Jedi. One of the things that stuck with me that they covered, was of course, the lightsaber. Of course, the technology described and bluprinted was unattainable due to our lack of certain substances on this planet, mainly certain crystals used to focus the "light" into saber form. Basically, it was a plasma fountain, because it was described as "light" as hot as the sun. Hence, plasma fountain. It did not go into detail for a stopping mechanism, but once again, Mirthful Me is probably right, it would have to have some sort of magnetism working to be able to block others.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Well, you could always try this for starters...

Take a steel police baton and replace the handle with one that has wired many stun gun electrodes to the expanadble section of the baton. Then, create a massive battery pack on your back and run the wire down through your shirt sleve to the handle of the baton.

There you go, instant super lightning saber, well sort of.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foffle
If you wish to look at it in an extremely technical manner, you should do it in steps.
1. What is the "beam"?
A laser would not look like that as you can only see it through fog or when it hits something. Plasma... what does plasma actually look like anyway? it really depends on the base material.

2. What stops the "beam" at a certain point?
A force field may possibly do the trick, but why stuff all that stuff into a tiny little handle and only use it to control light? You may as well knock over the other guy with it.

3. What's the point of stopping it at such a short distance anyway?
As someone said earlier, you'd want it variable so you could knock a guy off a rooftop or whatever.

4. Really, why not just use a sword anyway?
Possibly because a sword couldn't cut through as much stuff and the way a light saber can retract into itself.

Just my way of looking at it. So it's probably serverely flawed somehow. Meh.

#1. a ruby crystal would turn the specrum of the light red.

#2. a retracing stem created from glass at a molecular level (the conduction rate for heat would be like .00000000000000000000000001 due to the space of the molecules ~kenetic molecular theory~) on the end of this glass stem you gave another ruby crystal fitted with mirrors in pecise positions to relay the light back into the handle. a set of mirrors in the handle relay the light back to the top...creating an endless loop for the light to travel.

now the problem becomes the light source.....unless the stem doubles as the starting point for the light. the light would protect the spem...the stem wouldent conduct heat....there would be a continuous loop creating a stronger charge as long as that baby is running.

a lightsabre is indeed a possiblilty.

[edit on 6-2-2008 by Infadel]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Real Light Sabers...?

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Nowadays though Light Saber or not, Luke skywalker would be shot dead in his speeder by this guy :

two miles away! talk about feeling a great disturbance in the force!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
what if instead of lasers you use fire?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
You need to use tachyons instead of light.
tachyons are kind of reverse to light. The more energy the slower they move. They cease to exist once they loose their energy and have achieved maximum speed. So you just give them a little energy.
They go just so far, max out in speed, and cease to exist.

Just one problem, no one has ever proven their existence. Oh well back to square one.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
actually most of u are wrong or completely sad.
points too those in this forum.

1. it is almost possible to make a sabre but not in such a way that it is portable.

2. yes there is a point to discussing anything in the world... a lightsabre came from imagination justa as the first toaster, gun, vehicle, spaceflight, watch etc.. so this is no different...

2. yes there is more uses to it than a jedi look good weapon.. for one, mini cutting blades for very clean and acurate hand surgery.. and many other applications.

3. it doesnt matter what books or films say how the were fictionally made, the point is to dicuss how the reality of one could be made.

4. i would suggest lazers have a proble as they are light and this is infinite in distance, there for also hard to contain in length, same a as a pointer.

5. hey had many guns in the films, lazers, proton guns, etc.. who cares, if it can cause dammage, it would be used in the real world just as in the film world.

6.the most plausable way, is to use energy that is emmitted from the tip, with a negative energy [stability is key] surrounding it... thus the more neg energy, the shorter the length and visa versa.. the neg energy would either repulse on absorbe the positive energy thus a beam.... and yes this would cause noise... and also the neg of one would repulse the positive of the other sabre so u have of course, a parry possibility... the effects of the sabres electrical distchage in one direction would also cause giroscopic feeling... thus dont have a loose wrist when started or u loos some limbs lol.

7. as far as why... in the film, well if u make points the should be credible critical arguments, and in the story of starwars... the sabers were old weapons made before the typical guns, this is due in the films, that the harnessing of the energy field was used to throw them as projectiles... the beam... thus the guns fire laser looking bolts... of the same tyypes of the sabre, so thus sabres could repell or parry them., also this would explain the lost art of the sabre, but show that sabres were in major use during non-energy based projectile weapons were used.

lastly... yes i do have alot of time on my hands, however i dont think i have too much... we all have so little, thus i hope that someone is assuming a new wave of positive thought now.

thanks for reading,. SION

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to us 13-17 south post by bigbert81

by using electromagnets and plasma coils

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I'll show off mu nerdiness for a second here:

I remember some of the "uncannon" EU books describing Jedi adepts using crystals to build their lightsabers. They also could build controls to make it longer or adjust the intensity.

In some other books it was strongly implied that the Jedi using the Force was as much responsible for the function of the lightsaber as the device itself. (Though this was apparently not applied to all lightsabers.)

So perhaps it is actually a laser, which is mentally held into that particular shape?

Anyways. Here's my more realistic theory.

If it is possible that plasma could be made magnetic, perhaps the device stores plasma or could instantly create it. Then when the lightsaber is turned on, two things happen: first the plasma is released, and then a sword-shaped magnetic feild is created to retain that plasma to a particular area?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
But how do you shape a magnetic field.

I can understand a plasma shield around a ship.

But a lightsaber, when powered off, is just a handle. How would you get that magnetic filed to extend only 3-4 feet with a diameter of 2-3 inches?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
But how do you shape a magnetic field.

I can understand a plasma shield around a ship.

But a lightsaber, when powered off, is just a handle. How would you get that magnetic filed to extend only 3-4 feet with a diameter of 2-3 inches?

I don't know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join