It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun will go through intense solar flares in 2012?!?

page: 1

join
share:
cj6

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Ok, I know absolutely nothing about science, so I would really appreciate it if someone could help and maybe explain, in as much detail as possible, how this "intense solar flare" business will affect all of us here on Urth?!?!

...if it were to happen!

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Do you have a source for this information? I have no idea what your talking about.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Google is your friend.

Yes, there is solar storms coming, but I dont think it will cause much worse stuff than we already have. They say some gps may stop working, there may be blackouts and so on.

NASA
NewScientistTech

(not sure why I do the searches for you.... guess im more friendly than lazy).

[edit on 11-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Hi

Sun flares can be accompanied by Coronal Mass Ejections (CME) these were once thought to happen at the same time but its been found that these can occur separatly.

Source: Space.com

A CME can carry up to 10 billion tons of electrified gas traveling at speeds of up to 2,000 kilometers per second. Fortunately, our planet's magnetic field serves as shield against these storms.

Article

If NASA are predicting a flare on or around 2012, the question that i think needs asking is "Could we also be hit with a CME?"

With the flare affecting so much on earth, could it be possilbe that combined with a CME some of the charged particles could actually reach the ground instead of bouncing off the manetic field of earth.

Look at the way Canada was affected by a flare in 1998, it took down everything, could this effect be amplified by a CME?

Coronal Mass Ejections - Nasa

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
just found this

Looks like the sun reaches its sun spot peak around 2012

This is why the flare activity will be picking up !!! Im now very curious about this topic.

I really hope that its nothing but hype and in the end nothing will happen but you never know.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by scepticsRus

Another one:

The next 11-year cycle of solar storms will most likely start next March and peak in late 2011 or mid-2012—up to a year later than expected—according to a forecast issued by the NOAA Space Environment Center in coordination with an international panel of solar experts.

Source: ScienceDaily

But we have lived through these things before. Seems to me that we may get some computer problems and satellites dying on us, but nothing really bad...

Here is another (which im sure you will be very skeptic against):

It is possible, intense solar wind will cause us to feel out body experiences.

In that case we will experience for a year or so something amazing – out of body experiences. Hopefully, nothing of that will happen. The solar wind may not go that intense and the magnetosphere of the earth will be able to protect us.

Source: IndiaDaily

Hehe.

[edit on 11-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Cycle 23 of Sunspot activity is due around 2011-12, which will make Amateur Radio communication around the world qiite interesting

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

I think that last quote is pushing it a little, out of body experience indeed

Im not a scientist so would appreciate a response from one on this - is it possible that a flare and could be magnified by a CME if they occured at the same time?

With all the financial systems etc all dependant on computer tech ..... if something similar to 1989 in Canada happens (but increased).... could the markets crash, could it cause failures in systems world wide sending us back to the dark ages !

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by cj6
...if it were to happen!

If? You mean when. Its in revelations (one of the bowl pours), which if you didn't know, has all the merrit you could want. (non-believers do not question holy merrit, only DENY it.)

www.december212012.com...

2012 is the end of one of the 11 year cycles of the sun where sunspot activity rises and falls. In this peak, in 2012, it will be at maximum. Scientist have confirmed this. The flare could be so intense, as to "melt Europa's ice", if you didn't know, is Jupiter's moon.

Originally posted by scepticsRus
reply to
Im not a scientist so would appreciate a response from one on this - is it possible that a flare and could be magnified by a CME if they occured at the same time?

With all the financial systems etc all dependant on computer tech ..... if something similar to 1989 in Canada happens (but increased).... could the markets crash, could it cause failures in systems world wide sending us back to the dark ages !

It will be the biggest this civilization has witnessed.

Build your faraday cages. I have my NVD's (night vision device) in one. Simply wrap a cardboard box completely with aluminum foil and hook a wire to it running to a ground. en.wikipedia.org...
Put radios, laptops, portable wireless TV's, anything else you might need in them.

[edit on 11-10-2007 by 1337cshacker]

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I have a thread on this.
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
HA, DON'T TELL AL GORE BUT THESE FLARES ARE CYCLICAL, JUST LIKE THE GLOBAL WARMING BS HE INVENTED!

This must be what is melting the polar ice caps, not just on Earth but also on Mars!

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
This is the result of "global warming". Well not really, global warming is man made, and does nothing. People have to realize that there's more to Planet Earth then themselves. We're merely dust mites in this vast universe.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tomis_Nexis
I have a thread on this.
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

ERROR: You've Requested A Page
That No Longer Exists
(it happens to the best of us)

On July 28th, 2007, we underwent a significant upgrade to our servers and technology infrastructure. Part of that upgrade included some modifications to the information architecture across several sites. Perhaps you followed an old link, or used a bookmark to an old page, or, it may even be possible that you (or someone else) mistyped a link to our sites.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tomis_Nexis
This is the result of "global warming". Well not really, global warming is man made, and does nothing. People have to realize that there's more to Planet Earth then themselves. We're merely dust mites in this vast universe.

There's actually quite a lot of evidence to say that after the Sun passes it's sunspot activity peak we'll end up in a period of global cooling, so it might not all be doom and gloom.
the next ice age could be few years away.

new topics

top topics

join