It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian students call president "dictator" during scuffle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Iranian students call president "dictator" during scuffle

www.reuters.com

Dozens of students scuffled with hardline supporters of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on the Tehran University campus and chanted "Death to the dictator" ahead of a speech there by the Iranian president.

"Revolutionary president, we support you," the hardline students shouted back, pushing and shoving those who were voicing opposition to Ahmadinejad, a Reuters witness said.

The president was due to deliver a speech at the university to mark the start of the academic year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
education.guardian.co.uk

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
It's interesting to see Iranian students voicing dissent at Ahmadinejad, it goes to show not all Iranians support his views. A similar incident happened at an Iranian university last December where students shouted abuse and burnt a poster of him.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I am surprised that these students haven't been arrested or beaten for what they did. I hope they keep it up, but more importantly, I hope the media over there reports all of these events in order to let the world know what the public really thinks about their president.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by NJ Mooch

Maybe because Iran is not what its made out to be in the American press? Seems to me that people can protest without getting killed. They were arrested, just like what happens in America for "disturbing the peace".

The Iranian people seem to be just like Americans, protesting against a leader they dont agree with.

[edit on 8-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
According to the Reuters article "some of those who have spoken out against the president and his government in the past two years have been detained or blacklisted from university courses". Also, "more than 100 students, who tried to leave the campus to protest, briefly scuffled with campus police who stopped them."

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Cthulwho

Yeah, blacklisting people for speaking out against the president is very bad. That would make me very angry if it happened to me to be honest. And I agree its a sign of a dictatorship when opinions are suppressed. Those actions cant be legal.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
He allows dissent. Better leader than we have in America.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
One thing to remember is that most of our news sources are reporting from thier own viewpoint. Dissent is allowed in Iran, but you could never tell from our own media.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

This also happens in the USA - in fact they just label you a terrorist now.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

so where is worse then...

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

This is exactly the kind of hypocracy that is driving me nuts. If we cannot live up to our ideals, our own constitution, then how can we even think of claiming the moral highground on this?

Protest against the war, get on a watchlist. For many of us that missed Vietnam this is what it must of felt like for our parents.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
These students know that their idiot president and mullahs want them killed in a war with the greatest military might on the planet.there not dumb and do remember the iran war with their kamakazi like human wave tactics.kudos to them for standing up to the madmen in chare there now.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Xfile

Ah but from thier perspective Bush is just as big of an idiot (If not bigger) and has access to far more resources eh?

And you also fail to note that there were far more peopel in support of the Iranian President that these few protestors.

And lets also note the similarities int he two regimes? Anti war protestors are being placed on "Watch lists" SO where is the difference?

Yes, the human wave attacks were a tragic thing and the Iraq war killed many in such a fashion, but also lets not forget who was sending weapons to Saddam during that time period?

I do not have enough post to upload the picture, but there are many to be found of Rumsfield meeting with Saddam in the 80's. They were not discussing moustach grooming to be sure.

[edit on 8-10-2007 by Operation AJAX]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xfile
kudos to them for standing up to the madmen in chare there now.

And where are the American students to protest against the madman in charge of the USA? they have been surpressed and imprisoned allready in the name of `the war of terror`.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Oh My God,

It can't be-- protests against the great achmadenajad??? the greatest leader of our time?

A "man" hailed for his brilliance on 20-20? or 60min interview.

I can't believe there are protests in the "Utopia" that is Iran.

For shame, the Mean, Nasty, Imperialistic U.S. Bush run government is putting such a strain on our right to protest. We might be put in jail for that or worse - they put you in a firing line and Bush himself comes out on the front lawn of the white house and pulls the trigger.

Wow. What a crazy mixed up world.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Big deal so afew people are protesting against there leader. Isn't this normal behaviour in any country.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by paul76

What makes it newsworthy is that according to the picture you'd get listening to the pro-war propagandists here, these kids should be on their way to the Iranian version of Siberia right now - but it isn't true.

Iran is a backwards, repressive theocracy, but it's also a multiparty democracy where people still have the legal right to speak out against their leaders.

We're not facing Nazi Germany (or even the Soviet Union) here.
The situation is a lot more complicated than that.

[edit on 10/8/07 by xmotex]

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Gee, sounds like something us Americans need to do.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

To tell you the truth, Iran reminds me of Pre-Nuke America socially speaking and that is what scares the powers methinks. They don't want an Islamic Republic springing up that may eventually rival the dominant Christian Republic.

[edit on 9-10-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Absolutely amazing that this makes 'mainstream' news. Yet I'm not suprised...
What a shame hardly anyone will even notice the hypocrisy.

A lot worse than the actual report of some kids protesting (OMG!
) is the fact that American mainstream is even reporting something like this in the first place. Just shows what depths the US government will go to in order to get the public on their side. Absolutely ridiculous.

Where are the reports, everyday, of the hundreds -- sometimes thousands of protesters in the US -- shouting against Mr. Bush?

Gah... why do I bother!

[edit on 9/10/07 by Navieko]

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 12:59 AM
link   
didnt the same thing happen a few years ago in iraq, showing the american public that the citizens of that county wanted regime change and they would welcome us with open arms?

please, please dont forget that they are trying to sell us a war and anything that supports that agenda will be slamdunked into your face on the news.
"whats that? iranian citizens dont like thier leader, well we better help those people out from under a repressive regime"

Iran's ultra-conservative Tehran Mayor Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has won the country's 9th presidential election, the Interior Ministry announced here Saturday.

Ahmadinejad has won a landslide victory according to the results of the counted votes from Friday's run-off and his victory is irreversible with a great margin, said spokesman of the Ministry of Interior Jahanbakhsh Khanjani.

Ahmadinejad has been taking a strong lead over his moderate presidential run-off rival Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani in the vote count, winning over 60 percent of the counted votes according to several partial results announced.

english.peopledaily.com.cn...

An estimated 100 students staged a rare demonstration Monday against Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad,

www.cbsnews.com...

WOW! 100 people !! time for a revolution..

i bet i could find 100 people that hate mother teresa

on the flip side..

Under a blue sky with a pale midday moon,tens of thousands of people angry about the war and other policies of the Bush administration danced, sang, shouted and chanted their opposition.

www.washingtonpost.com...

New York City; Aug. 30, 2004 – In a massive march that surpassed in size even organizers’ expectations, hundreds of thousands of activists overwhelmed midtown Manhattan today in a peaceful demonstration under the banner: "World Says No to the Bush Agenda."
snip..
Though they had predicted a crowd of 250,000, United for Peace and Justice organizers estimated that half a million people marched to express their collective displeasure with the Bush administration’s agenda.

newstandardnews.net...

hmmm

top topics

<<   2 >>

join