It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli Jets Run Iran Attack Drill?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Israeli Jets Run Iran Attack Drill?

www.military.com

NY Post | September 08, 2007
JERUSALEM - Israeli warplanes may have been testing air routes for a possible attack against Iran when they were fired on by Syrian forces, experts said yesterday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I figured something like this was the reason behind the the bizarre intrusion into Syrian air space. Who knows where the Jets were coming from or originally going?

www.military.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Really interesting. But is there any other sources claiming the same thing or is this an isolated incident? And as a matter of interest what do you think the chances are of the Syrians hitting a jet travelling faster than the speed of sound

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

So far it appears to be just the New York Times. I do think the Syrians will have much difficulty hitting any Israeli jets using their air space as a corridor to Iran.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
It sounds like a logical explanation given than I doubt they were actually trying to attack a target in Syria. The only other explanation I can think of is that they were simply trying to intimidate the Syrians. The report says that they were allegedly flying the closest straight line from the Mediterranean Sea, which could be used as another staging area (other that the obvious Persian Gulf) for US carriers as well. Certainly does seem like a test run.

They also now know some extra intelligence about Syrian air defences (which I'm sure are now cruise missile targets).

[edit on 9/9/07 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
It wouldn't suprise me at all, I am kind of expecting the Israelis to go and bomb an Iranian nuclear facility at some point, kind of like how they did in Iraq in Operation Opera.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I don't see how this can be misinterpreted. They are flying very advanced pieces of equipment with state of the art GPS/satellite navigation. If they stray into Syrian airspace I say blow the israelis out of the sky into little tiny pieces.

Borders serve a purpose.

brill

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Well here's the odds according to Wiki...

"Each TELAR is able to launch and guide two missiles against one target simultaneously. Kill probability is quoted as being 0.35-0.85 for the Osa and 0.55-0.85 for the Osa-AK and Osa-AKM (presumably depending upon target aspect, speed, maneuverability and radar cross section). Reaction time (from target detection to launch) is around 26 seconds. Time to prepare for engagements from being in transit is around 4 minutes and missile reloading takes around 5 minutes. Each battery of four TELARs is usually accompanied by two reload vehicles carrying 18 missiles in sets of three, with a crane mounted on the reload vehicles to assist in moving the missiles."

Full article

I don't know if they have anything better than the SA-8 to use though.

Could always get lucky with AAA too...

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Last year during the Lebanon conflict the Israelis buzzed Assad's home in F-15s so don't doubt their ability to crush any Syrian defenses or use their airspace on their way to Iran. They would more than likely skirt the Jordanian border anyway.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Either way it look slike that missle system they bought from Russia is junk. Please Syria and Iran, keep buying more "defense systems" from Russia. They really are such a great deterrent.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
the entire notion of this being some rehearsal / recce for a strike on Iran is IMHO assanine

no Israli commander would send a strike force bound to Iran accross syrian airspace

apart from giving the Syrians a chance to take down aircraft , or at least force the IDF to expend fuel / countermeasures / munitions fighting off a syrian attack

it would simply give Iran a 30+ minuite warning

ample to get thier QRF interceopotors in position , AND have a significant portion of thier other squadrons in the air , or at leasy taxiing to the runways AND have all airdefence radars / guns / missile batteries deployed manned and ready - plus reserves alerted and mobilising

that is how daft it is

someone has already cited thier raid on the osiraq reactor - read the accounts of that mission - they went through jordan / saudi and moved the date forward to avoid detection by the saudi AWACs aircraft which wre being delivered but not yet operational

just acceopt the obvious answer that this is the latest round in the 6 decade long isreal / syrian emnity that has seen 3 all out wars , and numerous skirmishes / proxy battles

everything is NOT about iran - so stop pretending it is

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Either way, an attack on Syria would mean an attack on Iran, does it not? Don't they have a mutual defence pact between them?

[edit on 9-9-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Either way, an attack on Syria would mean an attack on Iran, does it not? Don't they have a mutual defence pact between them?

[edit on 9-9-2007 by Beachcoma]

An attack on syria is defenetly an attack on iran,but not from israel

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Are there any aircraft Experts on here that know what the range of these aircraft are with fuel pods. I find it odd about the Fuel pods being dropped.
Were they empty? I'm thinking if they dropped Empty Fuel Pods over Syria it was a message: We can go to Iran and you cannnot stop us.

It wasnt too long ago Israel was conducting runs out to Gibraltar. This might just be the next phase.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I strongly believe that if the Syrians wanted to blow the jets out of the sky they would have. If they shoot down the jets, Israel will just be all like "look at the evil Syrians, they hate us Jews so much they have unjustly killed our pilots, WE MUST BOMB THEM TO HELL!!" and all you Israel supporters will be just feeling pity for poor little Israel.

Syria simply plays it smart, says "ahh well they have not shot at anything, and it does not look like they are planning too, we wil just fire some warnings to chase them outta here so we can all go onw ith our lives".

A war declared by either party will only create THE WAR the Zionists and Neo-Cons are dragging their tongues on the floor for. The Defensive party is just looking out for their own by trying to prevent the war, even if it means some people on the internet will just insult the defender and defend the instigator.

JSR

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Are there any aircraft Experts on here that know what the range of these aircraft are with fuel pods. I find it odd about the Fuel pods being dropped.
Were they empty?

they always fly with the fuel pods. and when they need to make evasive manuvers, or, are faced with an enamy air threat, they drop the pods to become lighter and faster. it creates less drag.

then your only left with the fuel in your wings. which is full, up untill you drop the pods. this tech has been around a long time.....

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I find it odd about the Fuel pods being dropped.
Were they empty? I'm thinking if they dropped Empty Fuel Pods over Syria it was a message: We can go to Iran and you cannnot stop us.

Interesting you ask about fuel pods, it appears that Turkey is inquiring about the same thing.

Turkey Asks Israel About Fuel Tanks

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey has requested information from Israel about fuel tanks found near the Turkish border with Syria that allegedly were dropped by Israeli aircraft, an official said Sunday.

The request follows Syria's claim last week that Israeli aircraft entered its airspace and dropped "munitions" onto deserted areas after being shot at by Syrian air defenses. Israel has not commented on the incident.

Turkey requested information from Israel on the fuel tanks Saturday but has not received a response, said a Foreign Ministry official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to make media statements.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JSR

Were they empty?

they always fly with the fuel pods. and when they need to make evasive manuvers, or, are faced with an enamy air threat, they drop the pods to become lighter and faster. it creates less drag.

then your only left with the fuel in your wings. which is full, up untill you drop the pods. this tech has been around a long time.....

Yes it has been around a long time but were the fuel pods empty? Thats what I want to know? If they were empty whats the range they could of flown?

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
More so a test?
To see how far they couldnt actually get until someone was able to warn Iran?

Either way, its a long haul and they will need refueling if going over syria,
likewise, going in over Iraq too many shia-iranian supporters would be able to tip off Iran when the attacks occuring.

The only thign this has accomplished, is for them now to know where the sam sites are that would be first response against an attack on iran.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I have read before that they would need to refuel on the way back but I dont know this for a fact. They could fly over Turkey and completely ignore Iraqi airspace. If they did fly over Iraq how would the Iraqis be able to tell the difference in Israeli and US F-15s? There is so much air activity over there already I cant imagine the Iraqis being able to discern what is in the air.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join