It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putting daughters up "for sale"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Soooo I really don't know where to put this . sorry mods i just honestly wasnt sure..but im ranting about this.
this website im not sure if its real or what but please give it a looksie...
It has people putting their daughters hand in marriage up for sale. The testimonal section is what makes me think maybe it is a joke??? but if not then WHAT THE FUDGE!?!

"Thank God for your site! Our daughter was really nervous walking down the aisle, but she seems okay now and the money we got let us keep our farm and even add on a few acres."

and oh yeah the girls are 14 15 years old etc..

“Our 15 year old daughter Mary wasn’t very popular and did nothing but mope around the house bringing everybody down, so we decided to marry her off through your site. Now our house is a lot cheerier and we love our new swimming pool and Jaccuzi! We’ve told our youngest that when she turns 15 we’re going to marry her off too!"

i guess its some religious thing...

Q: WHAT IS A BRIDE PRICE?
The bride price is an ancient custom, somewhat like a dowry. A man wishing to marry a woman would offer her family a Bride Price in cash or kind, or sometimes offer to work for their family.

www.marryourdaughter.com...

um wow.

mod edit: changed to external quote tags
Quote Reference (review link)

[edit on 6-9-2007 by UK Wizard]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
That is one of the most bizzare and sad things I've ever seen!!! How can a parent sell off there child like an old car, One of the girls is only 13 surely that cant be legal. The things people do because of religious beliefs (or is it just for money??) just mystifies me. I just hope that the site turns out to be fake.

[edit on 6-9-2007 by Kurokage]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Here is yet another reason I think religion is dangerous. This is absolutely appalling.

Marry Our Daughter is an introduction service assisting those following the Biblical tradition of arranging marriages for their daughters.

However, something didn't seem right, so I poked around on Google a little.

It appears to be a hoax:

www.museumofhoaxes.com...

Snopes also believes it to be a hoax.

It's still sick. Why even put something like that up on the web, except to provoke people?

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
wow i didnt think to look it up to see if its legit or not hhaha anyway either way what the heck..people these days !!
maybe someone should "propose" and see what happens hahaha
if it is fake who are the girls in the pics and do they know? it has to be illegal to do that if its fake..i guess they can get away with it legally . it is true you can get married young if your parents are cool with it.

and yeah the religious thing jeez..dont they realize thebible is super outdated

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
It depends on the state, how young girls can get married.

In most states, the age of consent with parental permission is 16. In New Hampshire of all places, it's 14 for boys and 13 for girls. In Massachusetts it's 14 for boys and 12 for girls. 15 in Missouri and Hawaii.

It is actually quite complex from state to state, there are exceptions and procedures for lower marrying age in many places.

If you're interested, Cornell Law has a table that includes all states and statutes.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
well ima have to ask my two sides on this.what to du think sides?

good side:dawn that sick no person should be forsed to love someone they dont love and blablabla

dark side:yea we can finnaly find a girl to do us^^ she cant say no and wil have to like us couse WE BOUGHT HER^^

but yea its not right this is not japan in middle ages or sometin

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I knew it was a hoax. There was one girl with a price tag of 99,000. Ain't no female worth that much.

Roper is now in hiding.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
hehee it would be so sweet if they make a law that we can buy girls^^
im going to enjoy my new toy that will do everything i want couse i bought her^^ REVENGE^^

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I know you're joking and all, but the idea of women being sold is offensive. It's bad enough being stuck in a relationship with an abusive or uncaring man without adding on top of it that you and he both believe he owns you.

Women are people with the same rights and feelings as men. It's time this attitude that it would be "nice to buy a girl" for revenge or otherwise died out in our species.

[/soapbox off]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
i know i know u cant make someone love somebody that he dosnt love
the idea of my parent marring me to some girl i dont like it terrible
but well nice to dream^^

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Thank God this is a hoax.
As the father of 4 girls i was furious when i saw the title of the thread and was ready to go nuts.
There is no price you could pay me....Grrrrrrr.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Score on this subject so far:

Atheists: 2 Biblical Mandate: 0

Where're your morals now, Old Testament?

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Ya know, I think it was a Paul Harvey radio segment where he said that arranged marriages out lasted the ones we in the west go through.

Just thought I add this to even things up.

Roper

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Arranged marriages last longer because of cultural disapproval of divorce, and because countries where this occurs, the women are considered property of the man and are in some cases in danger of death if they try to leave. It has nothing to do with "good matches" and everything to do with expectations of family and having nowhere to go if things go wrong, because the bride's family often won't take them back in. That's my take on it, anyway, from a lot of the modern Indian literature I've been reading.

There is an interesting layout of the pros and cons here.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I guess it depends on the spirit to the man and woman if a marriage works, arranged or not.

Roper

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It would not have surprised me in the least if it was real. How scary is that?

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I think it's ironic how a few people wondered what could go wrong with the post your kids thread, this is a prime example. These images were probobly taken from random spots on the internet, which is usually, unfortunately, all legal once you upload them to a public domain.:bnghd:

[edit on 9/6/07 by AcesInTheHole]

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Probably made by some atheists wanting to stir more trouble up for the Christians.

Either way, I could really care less. It´s bullhonkey all the way, so no need to get your panties in a wad(s).

Frontkjemper

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
This whole daughters being sold off thing reminds me of something i heard about happening in my high school years ago:

Apparently some people i know in the town i went to high school in tried to sell the virginity of the daughter of the guy who ran one of the towns 2 local ISP's. They were quickly dumped as customers.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I kind of figured the site was bogus... selling off daughters like that just didn't seem like a legitimate operation.

That being said, I sure am glad that the practice of arranged marriages doesn't remain in the US. I can only imagine what type of scumbags and pedophiles would buy their way into such an arrangement at the detriment of young girls.

A funny comparison though... a couple of months ago I put up a one time listing on an internet dating site. Nobody wanted me.
If only the guys had looked further than my picture, they'd have found a 39 year old multi millionairess. Oh well...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join