It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XH558 First Flight Date Announced (Almost)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
A NOTAM (Notice To Air Men) has been raised to restrict the airspace around Bruntingthorpe Aerodrome on the following dates:

August 20 to 24th, 9.00 to 15.00
August 28 to 31st, 9.00 to 15.00
September 03 to 07, 9.00 to 15.00

The reason given was "RESTRICTED AREA(TEMPORARY) FOR VULCAN TEST FLYING AT BRUNTINGTHORPE."

Looks like this is it! Whoooooooot!

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The engines had there first full start(s) today in teh airframe - tommorrow is the first of the full power tests - they will start them in pairs and run 1 at a time up to power - she is back together and with a NOTAM very nearly ready.

www.tvoc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
www.tvoc.co.uk...

engine start up of nymber3 (full start) - this is the first time in 20 years her engines has been run ; the smoke is the lubricant used in storage burning off.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
sorry to keep bumping this thread

www.tvoc.co.uk...

video of high throttle of all 4 engines - XH558 is very chained down - watch the way she rocks with all 4 at high thriust - the RR201`s have a distinctive sound.

[edit on 25/8/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
i really cant wait to see this beauty in action again. the last time i saw her was at fairford about 11 odd years ago. i know they have been having the Vulcan to the skys fundraising going on for a while, and i usually donate. but to see her flying again will be amazing. just the sound as she thunders overhead on a fly by is something you never ever forget. i remember the ground shaking (to this day!) back 11 years ago as she flew over head, and the rumble in the core of your stomach. awesome times!! good luck on your maiden (sorta!!) flight again.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
bumping thread to keep the old girl alive! Anyone know how she's doing now since the power up?

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well, after that anti climax, heres some news

XH558 was released to the air crew earlier this week and has undergone slow taxi runs under her own power - there is very very little left to do before the first flight, essentially the aircraft itself is in flight worthy condition as it stands.

So, watch this space, it could happen any week now!

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
CAA are checking the aircraft over - she has been reclassified from `Complex` to `Heavy` to allow flight operations (complex type once out of military service cannot fly again in the uk) several video`s of slow taxi trials on

www.tvoc.co.uk

in engineering section

edit:

check the colour of the wheels - silver are brand new and fast taxi/flight capable

[edit on 14/10/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Now if only we could get a Concorde and Cosfords TSR.2 in flying condition. Of course this is stretching it a lot, but with the right amount of money, anything is possible. Cosford's TSR.2 is almost a complete aircraft and there are still a few zero time olympus engines around. With Concorde, it's not a question of possibility, just about the will to do it. Imagine the three olympus powered planes in a flyby-Concorde, TSR.2, and Vulcan. Now that would be amazing.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
only pressed it once !

[edit on 17/10/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
edit

only rpessed the button once

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
www.blogs.mod.uk...

Defence Diary: 17 October 2007
Today 17 October 2007

Media Event at Copehill Down, to demonstrate simulation equipment used on operations by the Army.

23 Pioneer Regiment return to their base in Bicester from Afghanistan.

Tomorrow 18 October 2007

Defenec Minister Mr Twigg to present medals to Henry Francis who recently had his medals stolen.

Vulcan bomber expected to take off from Bruntingthorpe Airfield today for a test flight.

Mr Twigg launches election registration for Service Personnel.

Marquee`s are going up midway down the runway.

Concord will never fly again

XH588 is actually very special - when she landed at brunners in 1992 the entire team knew she would fly again and asked all the spares suppliers that they would be used again - and not to scrap all the equipment.

Also when she arrived they had a warehouse full of spares - from the display spares kit and from scavenged vulcans around the country.

so here we are 16 years later - and all the calibration gear has been wheeled out and checked then used all the spares could be machines etc.

None of this is available for concord - spares have been ebayed , machines scrapped or sold. there is nothing left to restore concord - all the machines would have to be made for the project - and think how much it would cost to remake a 1 off copy for 1 use for 1 aircraft.

I would hope that 1 aircraft could have the same magic - and she is ground running at bruntingthorpe XM715 is one of only 2 ground running ones left sadly - a shame as these were in service tankers in 1993 and served in GW1.

Anyway - fast taxi trials are over - today she topped 130 decision - NO ROTATE ordered, streamed chute to slow down

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   
11.30AM UK time

be watching sky news.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Yep, she's flown - this lunchtime!

"All of us who have flown her have enjoyed her handling qualities but she really flies like a big fighter in some ways. It's a thrill to be involved with it."

BBC.co.uk

Now all we need to do is to get a Victor back in the air...

[edit on 18-10-2007 by timeless test]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
12.28 the worlds only flying VUlcan once again lifted from the runway at BRuntingthorpe to the unique howl from her 4 Olympus engines

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Awesome news and all aviation nuts rejoice! Can't wait to see some photos and highh quality video. Flight Global sounds like they will be updating with both as it comes in! www.flightglobal.com...

Wow not much you can say other then I got to get over to the UK and europe for my next trip!

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

first flight in 14 years

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Hey Harlequin, that link is dead - apparently youtube took the video down at some point. I'm going to try to link it again unless you get there before me.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Hmm - the only video i can find via youtube or google, is the test flight coming in to land. I'll link to it anyways. If someone can find a better video, please post!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join