It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another bumper heroin crop in Afghan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Well it looks like the GLOBAL 'war on terror' is doing good things for the illegal drug trade. Gee, I wonder who benefits from that.........
Five years after invading Afghanistan.

I dont know what to say.
If you cant figure out whats going on then I cant help you.

Afghan poppy crop harvest sets another record

Afghanistan will produce another record poppy harvest this year that cements its status as the world’s near-sole supplier of the heroin source,

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Did you read that?
Cements its status as the worlds near-sole supplier of heroin.

Love when my taxdollars and brethren are used to secure poppy fields half a world away.

Thats the way I see it.
Afghanistan for the drugs, Iraq for the oil.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Funnily enough there was an article on BBC South last week about an English farmer growing Poppies for pharmaceutical use for conversion to Diamorphine
The article is on video on the BBC South Today News
www.bbc.co.uk...
check for it in the archives for last week.
The farmer was saying it could be anice little earner for UK farmers as it can be grown on setaside land

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton
Funnily enough there was an article on BBC South last week about an English farmer growing Poppies for pharmaceutical use for conversion to Diamorphine
The article is on video on the BBC South Today News
www.bbc.co.uk...
check for it in the archives for last week.
The farmer was saying it could be anice little earner for UK farmers as it can be grown on setaside land

Please No. Thats all we need is more smackheads on the streets this time probably getting there gear 50% cheaper than usual. We should burn the afghan poppy fields and police it purely for that reason to stop the drug trade.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint

Please No. Thats all we need is more smackheads on the streets this time probably getting there gear 50% cheaper than usual. We should burn the afghan poppy fields and police it purely for that reason to stop the drug trade.

Well it was true, the farmer was speaking standing in the middle of a field of huge fat poppy heads.
The problem is that Diamorphine is in very short supply in the UK Hospitals so Farmers are cashing in, which cant be a bad thing can it?

Take a look at the video

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Although it is surprising to see a record poppy crop in a country occupied by our troops, you have to remember they are quite busy fighting a resurgent taliban force. Plus even if it was destryoed it would be grown in other countries we couldn't get to, and would destroy the lives of the farmers. The only way to render this crop useless would be to legalise heroin and prescribe it in our respective countries.

We could then grow it here take out the dealer and their associates. This would reduce crime a great deal, as i know in my country(UK) at least 50% of crime is drug related.It would also lead to less deaths through overdose,infections(HIV,Hepatitias). Plus it would get these people back into the mainstream where as well as being prescribed this drug they can be given help to kick it all together. This policy has been introduced in Switzerland where they have huge problems. www.drugpolicy.org...

Whilst doing this we can help the Afghan farmers produce different crops, which would have a two fold effect, enhancing their feeling towards the troops and minimising the power of the Taliban and the warlords extracting the poppy from the farmers.

It would also i think take out some of the appeal of the drug to younger people, as it would now be more accepted and not seen as a rebelious act therefore less and less people will become heroin addicts.

It's a win win situation as long as it is well implemented and worldwide. It seems pretty unlikely this would happen, but for me it is the only soloution.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint

Well it was true, the farmer was speaking standing in the middle of a field of huge fat poppy heads.
The problem is that Diamorphine is in very short supply in the UK Hospitals so Farmers are cashing in, which cant be a bad thing can it?

Take a look at the video

Chorlton i believe you, By my phrase "Please No" i meant as in "Please No, Thats all we need" etc

I think Taliban forces have something to gain from distributing the world supply of heroin and i would take the poppy fields out therefore taking a huge amount of cash from the Taliban forces

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
But there aren't the forces avaliabel to burn all the fields in Afghanistan. The must be thousands at least!! And whilst doing this the Taliban has freedom of movement and attack. And it would only be a short term gain. A way would be found to hide it, move it in quick time.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I didnt mean troops actually walking round setting fire to all of the fields. I myself have served in afghanistan and my brother is there as we speak. I have seen the poppy fields myself and know how separated and out in the middle of nowhere they are. It should be a long term operation to destroy the Heroin production from Afghan. Without Heroin the world would be a better place and as the main supplier Afghan has to be hit first

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
It might be a nice cash crop for cash strapped UK farmers though as it can be grown on Set aside and not lose set aside status, though I suspect someone will jump on that one.

Its amazing that there is a shortage of Diamorphine in this country for Hospital use though

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Here are some links to the Morphine shortage statements. It looks like we need more poppy farms in the UK

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.ukhra.org...

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Fair enough the Saint. But the destuction of the crop would be short term as well as it would just be moved to some other country. Do you not think legalisation and prescriton is the best answer as i stated in a prior post?

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Fair enough the Saint. But the destuction of the crop would be short term as well as it would just be moved to some other country. Do you not think legalisation and prescriton is the best answer as i stated in a prior post?

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Some more information straight from the horses mouth....

Afghanistan is a major source country for the cultivation, processing and trafficking of opiate products. It has historically produced significant quantities of opium, and accounted for over 70 percent of the world’s supply in the year 2000, when the United States government estimated Afghan opium production at 3,656 metric tons.

Thats 70 percent in 2000, before we invaded.

In 2001, the Taliban banned the cultivation of opium poppy. The DEA believes that the ban was likely an attempt by the Taliban to raise the price of opium which had fallen significantly due to the abundant supply produced in years prior to 2001. Regardless of intent, production plummeted to 74 metric tons in 2001

www.usdoj.gov...

Look there, the taliban reduced opium exports from 3656 tons to 74 tons.
Thats quite a reduction isnt it?

Now here we are in 2007 and Afghanistan has cemented its role as the worlds near-sole (only) supplier of heroin.

The taliban was hurting the CIAs drug trade, and they were not going to let DICK Cheney build his pipelines through their land.
Now the drug trade is thriving and the pipelines are being built.

This is one of the reasons Pat Tillman was killed.
He documented how the troops were protecting poppy and oil fields and not searching for Osama.
Anybody remember Osama?

[edit on 5-8-2007 by 11Bravo]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I am not so sure as to if the talliban realy banned production,I kind of think they did as its against their religion its just we hear other stories online that this was a lie

so did they?Going to go with you and say yes they did stop the trade and only a handfull of diehard warlords allowed it on their land with local gun protection ensuring the harvest got to market

So would they allow it to be harvested now?Do they get weapon money from the sales involved?Or do they not need any drug money with Pakistan willing to fund them no strings attached

It is true that production has vastly inflated,i would love to know for sure who the drug lords realy are as we all know drug use is the main reason for crime with addicts trying to fund their adiction with theft

I dont know whats its like over the pond in America but over here the goverment trys to make us feel gulity for buying counterfit goods by claiming that there could be a link to terrorism.lol

So buying a cheap knock off designer label product or even a copied DVD is funding good old Bin Laden where ever he is!There the real criminals eroding our rights and taxing us to the hilt

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo

Now here we are in 2007 and Afghanistan has cemented its role as the worlds near-sole (only) supplier of heroin.

The taliban was hurting the CIAs drug trade, and they were not going to let DICK Cheney build his pipelines through their land.

He documented how the troops were protecting poppy and oil fields and not searching for Osama.
Anybody remember Osama?

Pfft should remember that the Taliban used poppy fields to fund their war chest in need of taking over Afghanistan when fighting against the Northern Alliance back in 94. The only reason the Taliban was removing poppy fields was in hope of international recognition, nothing to do with their brand of Islam is illegal. When the Taliban was removed from power and started their guerilla warfare in hopes of bringing the Taliban back in power, thats when it started prodding farmers to help bring back the rise of drugs in hopes of fueling their war, after all, how the hell is the Taliban going to raise money for their war? Taxpayers?
They got no country, so find another alternative funds for their war.

Not to mention why would the U.S. admit the rise of poppy fields in the first place?

[edit on 5-8-2007 by deltaboy]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Here are some links to the Morphine shortage statements. It looks like we need more poppy farms in the UK

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.ukhra.org...

Given the high quantity of herion that enters the UK and the fact that currently prices of all class A drugs are low (it is only cannabis that is in short supply and high in price) including herion isn't it odd that it has not been considered that we buy from Afganistan since this is where 90% of street herion in the UK originates. Diplomatically it could be a sound arrangement and would assist in the economic rebuilding of Afganistan. Not only that it would be a very cheap solution.

I am all for farmers diversifying but given the problem with herion in this country and the shortage of the clinical product do you not think a more radically sensible approach might be more practical in the long run?

Before you say it - I know that our government would never sanction such a thing, but beyond the so called 'moral' issues, the only reason their is a diamorphine shortage is because so much herion is on-the-streets and the big pharmacutical want to keep it this way so that they can keep supply lower than demand and therefore prices high. Basic economic.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This just released today:
Government accused over opium crop

Antonio Maria Costa, executive director of the UN Office of Drugs and Crime, said the situation was "dramatic and getting worse by the day", adding: "No other country in the world has ever had such a large amount of farmland used for illegal activity, beside China 100 years ago.

That's kinda funny. Everything is relative. Opium is produced in 12 Countries across the world, though only in India "legally". So, in which country is Director Costa referring to when describing "illegal activity?" Afgahnistan, Britian ... the world?

How much longer is the U.N. going to police the world with their ideals? India could make slaughtering cows illegal and denouce the U.S. for it's "illegal international trafficing" of McBurgers.

LMAO. These guys that think they run the world are jokes.

[edit on 27-8-2007 by tyranny22]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
dont the US and other countries make millions/billions from this?
from confiscated drugs to drug money.
more money for the black projects or what ever they do with the money from drug sales

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Some more information straight from the horses mouth....

Afghanistan is a major source country for the cultivation, processing and trafficking of opiate products. It has historically produced significant quantities of opium, and accounted for over 70 percent of the world’s supply in the year 2000, when the United States government estimated Afghan opium production at 3,656 metric tons.

Thats 70 percent in 2000, before we invaded.

In 2001, the Taliban banned the cultivation of opium poppy. The DEA believes that the ban was likely an attempt by the Taliban to raise the price of opium which had fallen significantly due to the abundant supply produced in years prior to 2001. Regardless of intent, production plummeted to 74 metric tons in 2001

www.usdoj.gov...

Anybody remember Osama?

[edit on 5-8-2007 by 11Bravo]

Thank-you for this 11Bravo, you know it really amazes me how this stuff can just stare people in the face and they still can't see whats going on.

join