It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible four US carriers very soon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
It looks like things are going to get stepped up quite a bit. Possibly two more USA carriers in route to Gulf area. A transition is planned soon but thats a lot of firepower in the area. Not to mention the other smaller LHD's out there with helicopters, harriers and amphibs.

USS Enterprise Strike Group is speeding towards the Persian Gulf

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
"Someone set up us the bomb"

Thanks for pointing this out. If you've been waiting around looking for more proof that George Bush is serious about Iran then this is it. Saber rattling is when countries point out how many weapons they have to another country. When one country pulls it's saber out and sticks it up against another country's neck, it's gotten a lot more serious. Iran is between Iraq and a hard place. If they retaliate by striking out against the carrier groups, "boom goes the dynamite." If they sit back and wait, more fire-power is brought into the region. Basically this whole region is a powder keg and the U.S. just added a few more barrels of TNT and some strike anywhere matches to the mix.

What's this? Looks like the B2 has just been upgraded with some fancy new features. I bet that would come in hand in Iran.

* A "smart" bomb rack assembly that allows the aircraft to deliver 80independently targeted, 500-lb. smart weapons, five times more thanpreviously
source

My belief is that the Carriers are simply there to guard the Straights of Hormuz. Also they provide a bit of distraction since Iran has to adjust it's posture to prepare from an attack from the Gulf. Realistically the attack will be from a wave of B2 bombers. We know that the US probably has up to 8 of them in Indian Ocean island of Diego Garcia. That's a short flight to Iran from there. As a bonus, it's out of Iran's reach.

[edit on 21-6-2007 by dbates]

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

* A "smart" bomb rack assembly that allows the aircraft to deliver 80independently targeted, 500-lb. smart weapons, five times more thanpreviously
source

80 500lb bombs? Wow!! What was the previous load that the B2 can carry before that exactly? 16? Definitely a big change. I wonder how they did it. Its like trying to cram more things into the trunk when its probably impossible.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I believe it could always carry 80, but now each one of the 80 can be used on a different target. It's an improvement in targeting instead of a payload inprovement.

source

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I believe it could always carry 80, but now each one of the 80 can be used on a different target. It's an improvement in targeting instead of a payload inprovement.

source

Ah thanks for the correction.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I'm not really worried about bombing Iran. I'm worried that we wont get to have a nuclear holocaust because I'd like to be collateral damage.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   

source

from Military.com forums

Upgrade Multiplies B-2 Weapon Capacity

(Source: Northrop Grumman Corp.; issued March 28, 2006)

PALMDALE, Calif. --- Northrop Grumman Corporation has completed an upgrade of the U.S. Air Force's B-2 stealth bomber that allows the aircraft to deliver five times its previous capacity of independently targeted, “smart'' (GPS-guided) weapons.

The company delivered the 54th and final smart bomb rack assembly (SBRA) earlier this month to the Air Force's 509th Bomb Wing at Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo., home of the B-2 fleet. A SBRA-equipped stealth bomber can deliver 80 500-pound smart weapons, each targeted against a different aimpoint.

Northrop Grumman is the prime contractor for the B-2, which remains the only long-range, large payload aircraft that can penetrate deep into protected airspace. Combined with superior airspace control provided by the F-22 Raptor and global mobility provided by tanker aircraft, the B-2 ensures an effective U.S. response to threats anywhere in the world.

The SBRA upgrade program enhances the B-2's ability to respond to current and emerging worldwide threats as a key element of the military's network-centric warfare concept.

“We are increasing the B-2's capability and flexibility in areas such as weapons loads; precision targeting and retargeting; communications for better situational awareness and mission updates; and airframe maintainability,'' said Gene Fraser, vice president and B-2 program manager at Northrop Grumman's Integrated Systems sector. “In this way, the B-2 will provide even greater effects for joint force commanders.''

Northrop Grumman was awarded a $131 million Air Force contract in 2001 to develop the SBRA system, including substantial modifications to hardware and software on the B-2. In 2003, Northrop Grumman was awarded another contract to begin conversion of 45 existing B-2 bomb rack assemblies to the new configuration (in addition to nine that were converted during the development phase of the program). The total value of the production work was $31.7 million. All bomb rack conversions were delivered to the Air Force on or ahead of schedule.

Northrop Grumman was responsible for development, validation and production of the SBRA system and integration of the GBU-38 (JDAM-82) 500-pound smart weapon on the B-2. The JDAM is produced by The Boeing Company, which also designed and fabricated the B-2 SBRA hardware kits for the SBRA conversion under a subcontract to Northrop Grumman.

Looks like these are mini JDAM's. Just right for large missle batteries along the Iranian coast. Most of these missles batteries are older Hawk systems we sold to them. They will get bombed to keep the Straits of Hormuz open for oil.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I found some pics of B-2's in Diego Garcia.

B-2's in Diego Garcia

[edit on 21-6-2007 by on_yur_6]

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   

What was the previous load that the B2 can carry before that exactly? 16? Definitely a big change. I wonder how they did it. Its like trying to cram more things into the trunk when its probably impossible.

It is likely the payload is limited if a B-2 wishes to take off with maximum fuel, however a way around this is to take off with maximum payload (bombs) and then immediately after take off to use air to air refueling to gas up in the air.

What is different in all this appears to be an ability to independently target each bomb (and perhaps stagger release) rather than release all in salvo.

Once the B-2 is deployed to the Gulf preparations are serious.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Those pictures were from 2003-2004. The B-2s were using Diego Garcia as a crew swap base. They would fly from Whiteman AFB Missouri to Iraq or Afghanistan, then land in Diego, keep engines running, swap crews, and fly back to Whiteman where they'd rearm and do it again.

As for the carriers, the USN has been keeping 2-3 in the ME since we went into Afghanistan for combat operations. The deployment of the Enterprise was planned for awhile now. She came back from the ME in November of 2006 after a 6 1/2 month deployment. She rearmed, made any minor repairs she needed, and has been doing sea trials since April or May. She's PROBABLY going to be replacing Stennis. Stennis deployed from Bremerton in Jan, and started ops with 5th Fleet in February, so it's about time for her to head back home.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson

What was the previous load that the B2 can carry before that exactly? 16? Definitely a big change. I wonder how they did it. Its like trying to cram more things into the trunk when its probably impossible.

It is likely the payload is limited if a B-2 wishes to take off with maximum fuel, however a way around this is to take off with maximum payload (bombs) and then immediately after take off to use air to air refueling to gas up in the air.

What is different in all this appears to be an ability to independently target each bomb (and perhaps stagger release) rather than release all in salvo.

Once the B-2 is deployed to the Gulf preparations are serious.

The payload of 16 was for JDAM and JASSM. The 500lb bombs that we're talking about was always 80. It's capable of taking off with a full load of 80, and max fuel. They don't actually deploy them to the Gulf. They fly them out of Whiteman, and stop over somewhere in the Gulf, usually Diego, to swap crews.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Thanks for that. I have never come across JASSM before ?

What are these ?

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by on_yur_6
It looks like things are going to get stepped up quite a bit. Possibly two more USA carriers in route to Gulf area. A transition is planned soon but thats a lot of firepower in the area. Not to mention the other smaller LHD's out there with helicopters, harriers and amphibs.

Good Thread here OP

Just goes to show how serious we're gonna get with Iran if this things comes out as Bush wants it to. Bur fortunantly we have had talk with them in recent months so hopefully no skirmish with them will go on. But when we talk about the Mid East anything can happen. For those who even care, the US have enough problems with Israel when Olmert came to Bush to talk about the civil war between the Hamas and Fatah. So once things settle down over there we can foucus on Iran.

Sorry for kinda going off-topic.

But yes, good thread. Good to show others how the US is taking this approach. Especially since there are ALOT Of rumours going around that the CIA and US Mil. have finalized bombing run plans to bomb integral Iranian nuclear facilities and such.
Crazy times we're living in eh?

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
Thanks for that. I have never come across JASSM before ?

What are these ?

Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile.

The Air Force/Navy Joint Air to Surface Standoff Missile (JASSM) program was established in the fiscal year 1996 budget, following cancellation of the Tri-Service Stand-off Attack Missile (TSSAM), to develop a replacement for that system at the earliest possible date. In light of the urgent need for the operational capability that would have been provided by the TSSAM, the Secretary of Defense established a joint program in the Air Force and the Navy for development of a replacement for TSSAM, canceled for escalating program cost, that would meet the requirements of both services. After the termination of the TSSAM, the Services continued to reiterate the need for a high survivability standoff weapon capable of attacking a variety of deep interdiction type targets. The Joint Requirements Oversight Council revalidated the need for the weapon in an August 1995 mission need statement.

JASSM is a precision cruise missile designed for launch from outside area defenses to kill hard, medium-hardened, soft, and area type targets. The threshold integration aircraft are the F-16, B-52, and F/A-18 E/F, and the airframe design is compatible with all JASSM launch platforms: the B-52H, F-16C/D, F/A-18E/F, F-15E, F-117, B-1B, B-2, P-3C and S-3B. The weapon is required to attack both fixed and relocatable targets at ranges beyond enemy air defenses. After launch, it will be able to fly autonomously over a low-level, circuitous route to the area of a target, where an autonomous terminal guidance system will guide the missile in for a direct hit. The key performance parameters for the system are Missile Mission Effectiveness, range, and carrier operability.

www.fas.org...

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The key Iranian SAM system to use JASSM against therefore will be the S-300 anti stealth system. Perhaps the S-300 batteries themselves will be targeted ?

They will deny a 50nm radius around Netanz and Isfahan. I think Iran has only about six S-300 systems so far. If it does happen this is going to be a modern day Operation Linebacker.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by on_yur_6
I found some pics of B-2's in Diego Garcia.

B-2's in Diego Garcia

[edit on 21-6-2007 by on_yur_6]

The other day i was having a look with google earth, it was a clear sky so you could actually see all the B52 bombers laying there! The B2's are probably hidden in bunkers..
How is the Shaffaq project going? the Iranian so cald "stealth figher"?

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Good for nothing rotten technology.

Yes, this is a one liner.

[edit on 21-6-2007 by selfless]

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foppezao
The other day i was having a look with google earth, it was a clear sky so you could actually see all the B52 bombers laying there! The B2's are probably hidden in bunkers..
How is the Shaffaq project going? the Iranian so cald "stealth figher"?

They aren't deployed to Diego Garcia. They flying most of their missions from Whiteman AFB, or if they DO forward deploy it's to Anderson AB in Guam.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Does this mean Iran can pre-emptively target these hostile forces and neutrolize most of them before they get to strike Iran?
its only fair if they are destined to attack the country that they should be destroyed beforehand by that country before losing offencive and defencive weapons capibility

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
Does this mean Iran can pre-emptively target these hostile forces and neutrolize most of them before they get to strike Iran?
its only fair if they are destined to attack the country that they should be destroyed beforehand by that country before losing offencive and defencive weapons capibility

Yep the pre-emptive action we so 'intellegently' used against iraq is a doubled edged sword, that will be used against us.
Thankfully, our zionist pig controllers will replace 'pre-emptive' strikes with the word ' terrorist acts' thus invoking painful memories of the foney 911 terrorist attacks to rally up suppot for the needless bombing of innocents.

its just to easy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join