It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Particle beams!!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   
and high-energy laser equipment. does anyone have any stories, facts, theories, or rants about this sort of topic?

im very fascinated by this kind of weapon, and was MAJORLY disappointed when they were inside an actual particle accelerator in Terminator 3 but never had it fire which would have been beautiful.

here's a picture representing the tech for ppl going

that may be simulated, and not a real satellite with a laser deployment system, BTW

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Mmmm.....PPC. Ah, how my Nova Cat misses me. ANd my Dire Wolf. AH yeah, back to the topic at hand. From my understanding of the matter, the problems with these systems are too great for actual field use. Mostly things related to heat (my ancient nemesis on teh field of honor) bulk, and the rarity of the materials required for a personal sidearm, much less a cannon type device. Aside from thsoe, I figure it would have great stats for penetration and the like. The only other major problem I cna see is reflective surfaces.

DE

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 03:13 AM
link   
ah yes my supernova cat and atlas and battlemaster miss the PPC.

in actuallity the games technical redouts are by far the best explanation for a logical way of fielding these type of weapons...

PPC, is Partical Projection Cannon, in the game it explains the use of this system by using magnetic rails to guide and control a magnetic field of ionic particles that are charged in both heat and electricity.....it then discharges the electric field using the magnetic rails as would a bullet down a barrel, once hitting the target the heat generated by the ion electrostatic field melt metal while is positve charge fry or disrupt electronics within.

now i have actually seen such devices but they are more along the line of lasers for the fact that they dont use magnetic rails.

but the idea is very very feasible and with the right amount of money even with our current technology one such weapon could be fitted on a tank replacing its main turret.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Freebirth.

I wonder about maitenance of such a thing tho. How much would it cost? How easy is it to know a laser / PPC out of alignment?

DE

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Freebirth.

Ah Ha! Fellow Trothkin. Of which of Kerensky's Children are ye?

I am Star Colonel Gideon Fetladral, Loremaster(FCGC) of the True Clan Wolf!

LOL

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Lasers and Particle Beams...
Ok..

Northrop Grumman's THEL
The Tactical High Energy Laser (THEL) THEL, was developed by TRW Inc. under a $89 million contract. During several tests in teh USA, the system has shot down 25 Katyusha rockets, but has not been deployed.

Here's an image of it...

Here's a Katyusha rocket in flight that got destroyed by the THEL

Boeing's ABL
The Boeing Airborne Laser (ABL) missile defense is designed to destroy a theater ballistic missile in its boost phase. It is based on a 747 freighter aircraft.

Image of the ABL stationary

...and the ABL in flight...

Shiva Star
An offshoot of Star Wars technology during the Reagan years, Shiva Star showed much promise as a particle beam type weapon, it worked by creating small compact plasma halos and projecting them at very high hypersonic speeds towards an intended target.....
The discharge of "ShivaStar" was also reported to produce massive magnetic fields that made the iron beams that were the frame of the hangar it was housed in to bend upon Shiva's discharge - so much so that the researchers had to reinforce the hangar's frame.
It was around these first successful tests that Shiva Star was "officially cancelled".
Nick Cook of Janes Defense Weekly has stated that rather than being cancelled he believes that Shiva Star became a "black", special access development program.

Shiva Star in it's unclassified form - the largest EMP generator in the world.

Hope this helps...

Intelgurl~

[Edited on 7-1-2004 by intelgurl]

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
You can look it up on the main page of ATS, not the forums. They're are links and news articles under that section of ATS. I think it is great, it adds a sense of better security to the U.S. Once completed, these lasers will be able to destroy/disable them midair - within seconds of launch. We will need the intelligence system to be updated and buffed if we want to be effective with these lasers. Lasers + Intelligence worldwide = untouchable by missile/sea attack. Fascinating stuff, really.

-wD

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by vonschuon

Originally posted by DeusEx
Freebirth.

Ah Ha! Fellow Trothkin. Of which of Kerensky's Children are ye?

I am Star Colonel Gideon Fetladral, Loremaster(FCGC) of the True Clan Wolf!

LOL

Star Commander Wenter Kiesiel (elite), 352cond Wolf Assault Cluster, Bravo command star.

DE

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Rail weapons are looking to deployed on the chasis of some older tanks within the next 20 years. The cost of these weapons are surprisingly cheap since the ammunition they fire is inexpensive, unless of course they intend to fire a radioactive heavy metal at a target. Projectiles are incased in a cylindrical package and then wind shear tears the package open when the weapon is fired. What actualy hits the target is a needle like chunk of solid metal which creates mass kinetic energy. Laser weapons are all ready utilized as can be seen in the above post. Though we will most likely never see laser side arms lasers will play a crucial role in shooting down ballestic missels on the ground or in the air. The United States Army and Airfroce has been surprisingly up front with their development of rail/laser weapons. A plasma or particle weapon functions much defferintly and seems a bit out of our technological grasp for now. The problems with these weapons is that they are difficult to deploy and meet only limeted tactical roles which in most cases are better fit by using conventional Arms.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
thank you all to those who provided factual information towards this topic. those pictures are also appreciated and thanks for reminding me of airborne deployment, intelgurl.

for those of you ranting on about mehcwarrior or whatever dumb ass game you're talking about--->

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlnilamOmega
thank you all to those who provided factual information towards this topic. those pictures are also appreciated and thanks for reminding me of airborne deployment, intelgurl.

for those of you ranting on about mehcwarrior or whatever dumb ass game you're talking about--->

You just lost all credibility you ever had... All of us reading this thread are now stupider for having done so. May god have pity on your soul.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Isn't the only reason we see lasers here on Earth is because the light is reflected off of particles in our atmosphere? Doesn't that mean that any laser or light is completely invisible in space, as there is no atmosphere to reflect it? So, no doubt, that picture above is as simulated as when you hear EXPLOSIONS in space in Star Wars movies

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I really like the boeing with the lazer.

really nice machine.

wish it works good tooo in the battle feild.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Theoretically you could use a high powered laser to act as a wave for electron particles to ride on (which is the whole Idea of a particle accelerator). Though a long linear tube surrounded by electromagnets are used in the real versions to keep the particles in alignment, they also have circular based accelerators as well. Basically this would then collide the electrons or other particles with your target creating microscopic atomic collisions. The problem with this concept is the amount of energy needed and the cost.

However I might design a plasma or Ion based weapon. I was thinking of a weapon that would Ionize the air and build up enough pressure, then release that in either a beam or a "ball" at the desired target. This hasn't really been thought out very well yet but Im interested to look into it down the road.

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by daeldren]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by daeldren
However I might design a plasma or Ion based weapon. I was thinking of a weapon that would Ionize the air and build up enough pressure, then release that in either a beam or a "ball" at the desired target. This hasn't really been thought out very well yet but Im interested to look into it down the road.

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by daeldren]

That's what Shiva Star was... supposedly cancelled - many reputable defense journalist feel it simply went into the "black" as a very classified project.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Read in the latest issue of popular mechanics (hate that mag, too much indycar and furniture), that the navy is developping smaller scale lasers to take the place of the CIWS and that "rolling airframe missile" (forgot its name i think searam?). in ay case these laser would be used in point defense applications or even high altitude and range interception in combination witht the SPY-1D radar.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilblam
Isn't the only reason we see lasers here on Earth is because the light is reflected off of particles in our atmosphere? Doesn't that mean that any laser or light is completely invisible in space, as there is no atmosphere to reflect it? So, no doubt, that picture above is as simulated as when you hear EXPLOSIONS in space in Star Wars movies

You're right. You can't see lasers in space. Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by amantine

You're right. You can't see lasers in space. Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics

This is one of the most amusing sites I've seen in a long, long time.

DE

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
Lasers and Particle Beams...
Ok..

Northrop Grumman's THEL
The Tactical High Energy Laser (THEL) THEL, was developed by TRW Inc. under a $89 million contract. During several tests in teh USA, the system has shot down 25 Katyusha rockets, but has not been deployed.

Here's an image of it...

Here's a Katyusha rocket in flight that got destroyed by the THEL

Boeing's ABL
The Boeing Airborne Laser (ABL) missile defense is designed to destroy a theater ballistic missile in its boost phase. It is based on a 747 freighter aircraft.

Image of the ABL stationary

...and the ABL in flight...

Shiva Star
An offshoot of Star Wars technology during the Reagan years, Shiva Star showed much promise as a particle beam type weapon, it worked by creating small compact plasma halos and projecting them at very high hypersonic speeds towards an intended target.....
The discharge of "ShivaStar" was also reported to produce massive magnetic fields that made the iron beams that were the frame of the hangar it was housed in to bend upon Shiva's discharge - so much so that the researchers had to reinforce the hangar's frame.
It was around these first successful tests that Shiva Star was "officially cancelled".
Nick Cook of Janes Defense Weekly has stated that rather than being cancelled he believes that Shiva Star became a "black", special access development program.

Shiva Star in it's unclassified form - the largest EMP generator in the world.

Hope this helps...

Intelgurl~

[Edited on 7-1-2004 by intelgurl]

This will be a great ABL for the ground. I have heard some reports of devices similar like this at our base Thule, Greenland. Also, on the islands of Kauai and Maui, Hawaii, there are some instillations (call-signed as missile installations) which were in development during the Regan administration. These lasers may be operational to a point. ABMs there may be possible there as well, but I highly doubt it.

[Edited on 17-1-2004 by TheConservative]

new topics

top topics

join