It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dimming Sun?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
its called global dimming and its very real and is acutally slowing global warming if you can dig that.
personally I think we are wacked out the way we play with natural cycles and toxic waste like its a toy.

www.chemistry.org...

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Well for the past few years I have been seeing small flashes on the sun, at first it though it was just because I was looking at it with unshielded eyes, but one day I used a wielding mask and saw them clear, small flashes like something was being crashed into it.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglelord
its called global dimming and its very real and is acutally slowing global warming if you can dig that.
personally I think we are wacked out the way we play with natural cycles and toxic waste like its a toy.

www.chemistry.org...

All right! Thank you junglelord! This helps confirm some of my suspicions. Again, thank you for the link, very interesting to say the least.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladarl
I don't know if you are experiencing this, but I have less of a motivation to get up each morning and be happy. I wake up to marine layer aka smog that lasts all day long. It's disturbing my happiness on some level. Strange. I am curious to know if anyone else has experienced this...

I keep hoping for that one special day when it will be sunny and bright again...

Hmm, no, it does not affect my motivation or happiness.

If the weather where you live is affecting you that greatly, perhaps you should try moving to another place.

Maybe you have SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)?

Saesonal Affect Disorder

[edit on 2-6-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
as an avid astronomer with a big 10 inch

DOB telescope

I also made this thread as the ability to see the sky at night is being lost.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
In the days after 9/11 when there were no planes in the air over America a group of scientists did a study of the atmosphere and they discovered that less light is reaching the surface of the earth. It is not that that the sun itself is dimmer, it is that the particle pollutants we spew into the upper atmosphere are reflecting light back out into space and so diminishing the amount that reaches us.

Jungle lord is right up to a point... less light is reaching the surface of the earth so one would think that the planet should be cooling, instead it is getting warmer. Why is that? The answer lies in the nature of the pollution itself. Unlike air pollutants from say the early 20th and the 19th centuries, the stuff today is a much finer particle so it rises higher into the atmosphere and stay aloft far longer. It blocks the amount of light that reaches the surface, conversely however, the same pollutants along with CO2 and other aerosols holds the heat that reaches the earth surface in preventing it from radiating back out into space.

Either way the composition of our atmosphere is out of whack and we are largely responsible.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Goodness, I can tell no one either reads or believes what I write.

The Sun isn't getting dimmer if anything it is getting brighter.

The chemtrails, yes those chemtrails many/most here don't want to hear about or deny are covering the skies and taking the beauty of the Universe away from us. I am glad to see there are some here that mention and know of them.

Little kids can see the planes and know the difference between contrails and the chemtrails it amazes me adults are in such denial, reminds me of the TV show are you smarterr then a fifth grader.

You want to clean the air (I will repeat myself again for the zillionth time) get "planting those trees."

I have no doubt almost all of you won't.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
well, there is a theory on this which may be a cause of the extinction of all man kind...

www.exitmundi.nl...

it all seems like a gloomy doom to me

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
Goodness, I can tell no one either reads or believes what I write.

The Sun isn't getting dimmer if anything it is getting brighter.

I agree and I did read what you said.
My link does not disagree with your statement.
It mearly states that pollution has given us some shade
but yes the sun is hotter all the way to pluto.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   
The blue color in the sky is dependent on the water vapor in the air, not the brightness or dimness of the sun - for those talking about blue sky..

The sun's light is white, it's that light refracting due to the water in the air that makes the sky appear blue, so I'd say if something were changing it would be the composition of our air, not the sun.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Dimmer? Brighter?....I'm not sure but either way a great American Poet summed it up nicely....

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Robert Frost

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Yes, I seen this. Possibly it's dimmer because of more frequent air pollution. People of older generations have often remarked on the sun being much brighter when they were younger.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
There is a show on Nova called the Dimming Sun on now if anyone cares.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Actually I think the sun seems brighter.

There is also a more blueish tint, indicating an increase in temperature.

Yes these are subjective observations, but observations none the less.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
im watching it on tv now...its on pbs

Tuesday, Sept 4th at 8pm

www.pbs.org...

"Dimming the Sun" investigates the discovery that the sunlight reaching Earth has been growing dimmer, which may seem surprising given all the international concern over global warming. At first glance, less sunlight might hardly seem to matter when our planet is stewing in greenhouse gases. But the discovery of global dimming has led several scientists to revise their models of the climate and how fast it's changing. According to one recent and highly controversial model, the worst-case warming scenario could be worse than anyone has predicted. "Dimming the Sun" unravels this baffling climate conundrum and the implications for Earth's future.

To find out what global dimming means for the fate of the planet, NOVA reports on the findings of the world's top climate detectives, including an American scientist who found a grim but crucial opportunity immediately following September 11, 2001, when the entire U.S. airline fleet was grounded for three days. This presented a unique opportunity to study the effects of airplane vapor trails on the atmosphere (see The Contrail Effect). Comparing changes in the daily temperature range showed that the absence of dimming from aircraft pollution alone made a marked difference to the temperature. This result hints at how much the effects of atmospheric pollution had been underestimated.

Working in Israel, Dr. Gerald Stanhill was one of the first to discover the surprising fact that less solar energy is reaching the Earth's surface. While his measurements were met with skepticism, a review of worldwide data by Stanhill and a German researcher demonstrated that during the 1980s and early '90s, sunlight reaching Earth's surface had dropped just about everywhere. Halfway around the world, independent studies by Australian scientists confirmed this disturbing diagnosis. (For more, see Discoveries in Global Dimming.)

Scientists have long known that increasing air pollution—the smog that clouds urban skies—endangers our respiratory health. But they had underestimated the impact of pollution on the amount of sunlight reaching Earth. Some scientists now believe that global dimming may also disturb rainfall patterns such as the Asian monsoon. If they are right, global dimming may be one of many factors that contributed to severe droughts and famines in Africa during the 1980s.

The good news is that pollution controls have slowed and possibly even halted global dimming during the last decade. The bad news—and the ironic twist in NOVA's story—is that without pollution, more sunlight is reaching Earth, revealing the full impact of global warming. Although all climate models have important uncertainties, the unsettling implication is that, with dimming fading away in many regions, global temperatures may rise even faster than most models have predicted.

[edit on 4-9-2007 by Funkydung]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
There is this documentary on google video :

Global Dimming

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Must be a symptom of where you live. I'm fortunate enough to live in the place where the world's clean air reference standard is taken and I can assure you the sun's intensity is as strong as ever if not stronger. In spring and autumn here, with the help of the antarctic ozone hole overhead, the sunlight positively glares with UV and will burn you in literally minutes of exposure to it.

Newcomers to our highlands have been hospitalised with severe sunburn - the types who thought they were adjusted to exposure enough to work all afternoon without a shirt on.

sty

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
it is unlikely we will see very much sunshine with chemtrails like those I manage to capture on my phone here in Bristol (UK) --
Bristol photo 1
Bristol photo 2

[edit on 5-9-2007 by sty]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I saw the program on PBS the other night and found it interesting, since global dimming is not one of the things I've read up on. I then (of course) hopped off to see what was being said about it.

One of the interesting things is how it balances out the greenhouse gasses and global warming effects... one model says that it won't cause much of a change in crop production (paper not available so the link is to cached html) :
64.233.179.104...:UUsW5kSHlz8J:vortex.suiri.tsukuba.ac.jp/~asanuma/.papers/PanEvaporation/Stanhill_2001_AFM.pdf+%22globa l+dimming%22

Another suggests that we need to study how large cities affect global dimming:
irina.eas.gatech.edu...

And looking for "contrails", I found a very readable abstract than neatly summarizes their impact in one area:
ams.allenpress.com...(1981)020%3C0496:MCSATT%3E2.0.CO%3B2&ct=1

I think what impressed me most when I saw the program is how complex the maths have to be to really model our world and climate with any degree of accuracy.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Pilgrum

I agree with you here. The sun is getting warmer, and brighter, as evidenced by ice melting on moons around Saturn and Jupiter, and also polar caps on Mars melting, the more blueish hue on everything, etc.

There are mechanisms that would explain why the sun can heat and cool over such a short timescale, and that is where the real controversy comes in, as it has to do with plasma cosmology and electric sun theory. The sun being a sink in a circuit, receiving its energy from galactic filaments and magnetic and electric fields, traversal through differing fields could energize the sun over much shorter time scales than the old 'nuclear' explanation could ever account for.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join