It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA releases new close up of Mars Face

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I don't know if this has been covered but just in case, NASA has released new high res photos of the Mars Face.

www.associatedcontent.com...

NASA has released the new ultra high resolution pictures of the "face on Mars." For just a little bit of background, In 1979, scientists studying pictures of the Martian surface noticed that on the Cydonian plain, there stood out, what seemed to plainly be, a giant face staring out into space. Over the years, scientist Richard Hoagland has studied a series of NASA images. Richard and other investigators have postulated that this face is in fact, ancient architecture fallen into ruin. This structure is one square mile in size, and part of a larger complex which appears to be an ancient Martian city, all fallen into ruins.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Has anyone got the link to the full 300mb image i can only find small pictures of insignificance.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
um just goto the ESA site they have a 3d render of the whole thing.

www.esa.int...

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I think this is it.

hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu...

Says released April 2007

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
20 mins til i see the picture yayyy lol

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by souls
I think this is it.

hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu...

Says released April 2007

Am I the only one who just doesn't see anything? Not that I don't want to, just can't see any resemblance at this high resolution

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
here's something a little eerie -- turn the pic upside down and IMO, it resembles the head of a Grey.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Yea! It does resemble a grey upside down. Interesting....

SLPEXE

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Lol, maybe we've been looking at it upside down all along.
I mean a straight edge on on side and rounded on another usually does signify that the straight is the lower part (shoulders in this case). Just look at... a snow globe or something

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Well, the new photo of "The Face" at Cydonia is JP2 format, a huge (289mb) and hair-raisingly high resolution image (zooms down to a few meters, I believe) that requires a JP2 viewer.

This is my version, converted to JPEG at much, much lower resolution and file size, and cropped down to the face itself:

The lower picture is generated from topographic imaging of the area, demonstrating that "The Face" doesn't even remotely resemble a human face in profile.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 4/16/2007 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
this Hoagland guy is a bunko-artist. No face; no windows; no walls; no anything he claims is there. If anyone has any close ups of what he is talking about in the article, post them.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Doc Velocity,

With all due respect...

That is a computer generated image, it is not an actual photograph.

This proves absolutely nothing except that people will rather believe a computer generated image to suite their agendas...

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
what i recall of the 300mb face image that is supposed to be a significant Must See

is that Hoagland tell us that he sees the beams and decayed metal structure which framed up the exterior 'face'
...notice that the really detailed images remove any 'face' image
from being conjured in our brains, the pile of rock & shadow no longer allows it, with this closer inspection.......................so now

we're led to 'see' underlying structure, industrial produced framework
in the reflections & shadows..instead of a 'face' that had millennia of decay
to make it unrecognizable at closer inspection.

remember the reported petrified stumps of trees on the Martian surface
& lumber too? enterprise mission is is past the rescue phase and into a dire recovery mode to try to save itself...it was OK while it lasted just like StarTrek(s)(s)(s)(s) were

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Heres what i see

weird. it looks alot different than the original though

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by selfless
With all due respect... That is a computer generated image, it is not an actual photograph. This proves absolutely nothing except that people will rather believe a computer generated image to suite their agendas...

With all due respect... The upper image is my cropped JPEG version of a 289mb JPEG 2000 that reveals detail as small as meter-size boulders and smaller. That is the photograph that had Richard Hoaxland foaming on Coast to Coast last Thursday night, and it is the photo that is still featured on Hoaxland's Enterprise Mission website, if you want to go download the monster:

Hoaxland's Martian "Face" Image

The lower image, as I stated, was generated using topographic information obtained from Cydonia. Read more closely.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Wow, that 300MB file is quite a system hog.. Took a few minutes to open up in photoshop with the LEAD 2000 plug in... I have 2GB of ram and the photoshop used 700MB to open the file up... Not too terrible but on smaller systems it could make moving around the image hard.

I'm going to take a closer look now and see if I see anything...

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Upon closer inspection I do not see any girders or building fragments in the photo provided. The resolution is quite good, but also it appears to have heavy "dithering" effects that could make some objects appear as a straight line even if they're not.

Still an interesting "formation", are there ideas as to how this was formed naturally?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

The lower image, as I stated, was generated using topographic information obtained from Cydonia. Read more closely.

My point exactly, i rather keep open mind to all possibilities then be convinced from a computer generated image that for all I know, the purpose could be for a cover up.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by HaTaX
Still an interesting "formation", are there ideas as to how this was formed naturally?

Because of the appearance of that "broken crust" (which was originally revealed in the 2001 imaging by the Mars Global Surveyor), I've thought it resembled a very ancient and eroded volcanic dome. I've seen natural igneous formations on Earth that looked very much like this.

There's a 2001 article regarding the discovery of and repeated visits to the "Face on Mars" available at Space.com:

History of the "Face on Mars"

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
guys i am a die hard believer in ufo, aliens, etc...
and i know that the gov't. covers everything up, and i mean everything.

but don't you think that we are "making" ourselves see things now?

i mean believe me... when you turn the image upside down it does look like a grey.... and that is a huge coincidence. but also when we look at clouds, do we not see objects and people also if we try hard enough?

trust me... i'm not trying to debunk or "flame" anybody.... but until i'm walking on that mountain, structure, or whatever it is myself... then i'm just going to have to take the skeptic standpoint on this one.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join