It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nu-Horror Classics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Alright...they're probably not classics now but what new horror films have you seen that you'd consider reaosnable candidates? Which films within the last 10 (or 12) years do you feel will be talked about for years to come?

Anybody that mentions Leprechaun - Back 2 Tha Hood will automatically be disqualified and belittled.

List the films you believe have lasting power and if need be provide some type of reasoning.

[edit on 4-10-2007 by Preest]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I think the whole Saw trilogy will be viewed as horror classics eventually. I also think that some of the "Horror fest" shows coming out will be considered classics sooner or later.

[edit on 10-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The Abandoned and The Hamiltons were fantastic! I also agree with you on Saw but I'll reserve judgement on Saw II & III. With Saw 4 & 5 being worked on we may very well see the series tank and I think most will point fingers at part 3.

I'd definitely like to include...
May
The Descent
Dog Soldiers
The Devil's Rejects

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The Devils Rejects
Saw (only the first one)

I have enjoyed many more horror films, but those 2 just stick out. In my opinion, they should have left it at saw1, 2 was alright, but if they never made 2 then 3 couldnt have been made, and thats where they failed.

[edit on 10-4-2007 by pshkwamy]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Preest
The Abandoned and The Hamiltons were fantastic! I also agree with you on Saw but I'll reserve judgement on Saw II & III. With Saw 4 & 5 being worked on we may very well see the series tank and I think most will point fingers at part 3.

Actually, since I am someone who likes background information, I personally thought Saw II and III were the best. In Saw I, I really didn't understand what the hell was going on because there wasn't much detail about the guy who was doing it. Saw II was probably the best out of the trilogy.

I haven't seen the Abandoned, but I have the Hamiltons and Penny
Dreadful. The Hamiltons was good, Penny Dreadful was so,so.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The Gravedancer is also one from the Horrorfest to check out.

I didn't mind Saw 2 or 3 really but I know some sticklers that took issue with the fact that they weren't originally written as Saw films. I say if it works go with it. In my opinion the Saw franchise has remained above water when it comes to quality and that's something not many film franchises can say.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Preest, yeah,I've seen the previews of the Gravedancers. It looks pretty good. I also want to see UnRest. I hope to eventually to own the whole collection of the "Horror fest" series. I honestly think they will be collector's items actually..

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
According to a few friends connected with After Dark Films they'll continue the Horrorfest this year and have quite a few cool films lined up. I'm actually excited about heading to the theaters for another Horrorfest.

Unrest was decent. I found myself really enjoying the tension it created which is rare these days. Another great entry was Reincarnation. I'm a huge J-Horror fan and I've been waiting on this third installment of the J-Horror Theater series for quite some time.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
J-Horror? I don't think I am familiar with that one. What is J-Horror?

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Ah sorry...it's a snappy little way of saying "Japanese Horror." In my opinion, Asia has been turning out the best horror these last few years but that appears to be slowly changing.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Preest
Ah sorry...it's a snappy little way of saying "Japanese Horror." In my opinion, Asia has been turning out the best horror these last few years but that appears to be slowly changing.

Yeah, they do make some good ones. I have the movie The Locker I-II.. The only thing I wish is that they were in English. I get tired of reading subtitles.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I typically prefer subtitles for my overseas/foreign films unless its Italian horror, Gialli or Spaghetti Westerns. Then...it's gotta be dubbing. I love bad dubbing on old Italian films.

You're right though, the dubbing on Asian films can be quite bad. I'm usually okay with it when I'm watching martial arts flicks but it gets annoying while watching horror.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Oh definitely, Seed of Chucky (Child's play 5; Son of Chucky) - Brad Dourif, Jennifer Tilly, Billy Boyd, Don Mancini.

Jennifer Tilly's stellar performance, Oscar worthy. Outstripped the disbelief factor in Bound by miles.

What?

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:10 AM
link   
You feel Seed of Chucky will be discussed 20 years from now? Interesting, I'm sure anything is possible.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I think Scream will be, 20 years from now there will be people saying "did you see that old film Scream, it kept me guessing all the way through, no films are like that anymore, don't make like they used to"...

[edit on 11-4-2007 by chris01621]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Scream was a decent horror film but I don't think it will ever be considered a "horror classic." It is a bit too cliche.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I have to agree with chris01621, Scream will definitely go down in horror history. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's better than The Omen or Rosemary's Baby but it has positively secured its place in the genre. Scream had a big hand in re-introducing horror after years of theatrical exile. It made horror "cool" again.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Preest, you may not be old enough, I will be thirty in June, but do you remember the movie "Pieces" back in the mid-1980s? I only saw it once, but much like Sleep Away Camp, the ending stays with you forever.

[edit on 11-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
lol Wow that made my day! I'm actually 31 and yeah I definitely remember Pieces! You just don't get those type of crowd-pleasing shock endings anymore.

It's a shame Pieces hasn't seen a decent DVD release yet! I know Grindhouse was supposed to release it. HEY SAGE STALLONE GET OFF YOUR ASS! I'm surprised this hasn't seen a decent release considering Joe D'Amato and Dick Randall wrote it. Those two are legends.

[edit on 4-11-2007 by Preest]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Yeah, I have looked for Pieces every where and still have not found it. For a while I thought I may have gotten the title wrong, but,no, the title of the movie was Pieces. While Pieces was indeed shocking. I don't think it was any more shocking than Sleep Away Camp, but, there isn't any other movie that is either. Sleep Away Camp took the cake as far as shocking endings are concerned.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join