It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami WARNING right now in Japan Hawaii & California!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
This LINK details a breaking story of a Tsunami warning after a 8.3 magn. underwater earthquake off the coast.

AAC

[edit on 12-1-2007 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

[edit on 13-1-2007 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
This article says Mag 8.3, but USGS says Mag 7.7 (for the moment). Watch out for tsunami!

Channelnewsasia.com: Japan issues tsunami warning after quake

Japan issued a tsunami warning Saturday along the coast of northern Hokkaido region and the Pacific coast on the main island of Honshu following an 8.3-magnitude earthquake, the meteorological agency said.

Waves as high as one metre (three feet) are expected to reach Hokkaido around 2:00pm (0500 GMT), the agency said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

BBC also says 8.3
news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 2007/1/12 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I think if I lived in Japan, I'd want to live inland up in the mountians.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
This is nuts, let pray nothing happens to the Japanese.

If a tsunami happens there, it will swallow that whole country.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Well I hope nothing happens to innocent souls out there and everyone is ok.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Pacific Tsunami Warning Center

ESTIMATED INITIAL TSUNAMI WAVE ARRIVAL TIMES

Makes me wonder if comet McNaught has something to do with this quake, although I would think its effect would be miniscule. Still it's a strange coincidence and even on the 13th....(que the spooky music)

Japan warns 3.3-foot tsunami headed its way

[edit on 13-1-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
This certainly adds to the oddness of Earth's behavior lately, with all the earthquakes, gas-leaks, and violent weather and such.

I hope they are just being smart and cautious, and that nothing happens to the people of Japan.

Best of luck to them.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Here is one more link and story for you all. I hope these people are all ok, but I just spoke to a friend in Japan and he said it was really a big one.

Bloomberg

Japan Warns of Tsunami Following Major Quake in Pacific Ocean

By Steven Bodzin and Hiroshi Suzuki

Jan. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Japan's Meteorological Agency issued a tsunami warning over the eastern coast of Hokkaido in northern Japan after an earthquake northeast of the island that the U.S. Geological Survey measured at magnitude 7.7.

A tsunami of about 1 meter was expected to reach the eastern coast of Hokkaido around 2 p.m. local time, the agency said.

Some local governments of cities located in eastern part of Hokkaido, including Nemuro-city and Kushiro-city, issued evacuation recommendations, Japan's NHK TV reported.

The U.S. Joint Tsunami Warning Center said there was a tsunami warning in effect for coastal areas of Russia, Japan and the Marcus Islands. The center said the quake had a magnitude of 8.4.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
California, Hawaii, and Alaska are on advisory for a tsunami too for this earthquake.

A tsunami advisory is in effect for the California coast and a warning has been issued for the coast of Hawaii and Alaska's Aleutian Islands after an 8.3 magnitude earthquake in the northern Pacific.

Greg Romano of the National Weather Service in Washington D.C. told KCBS, the fact that there is just an advisory means that we just need to monitor the situation and be aware that there is a potential for a tsunami."

"Basically a warning means that all coastal residents in a warning area near the beach or lower lying areas need to move away from all harbors and inlets. A watch means that all coastal residents should prepare for a possible evacuation," Romano added.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I live in LA, I wonder the chances of having a warning here. Crazy. I hope it is weak and anti-climactic.

AAC

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Tsunami spotted!

A tsunami has observed at the following sites: Hanasaki, Japan. 0.1 meter / 0.3 feet observations are the amplitude above sea level.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   
That is not a good thing being able to spot a Tsunami at all is only suppose to happen when it nears land, if they can spot one out far away that means the inertia is really big, but I hope not for those people's sake.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   

COASTAL AREAS FROM THE CALIFORNIA-MEXICO BORDER TO THE
NORTH TIP OF VANCOUVER I., BRITISH COLUMBIA

...TSUNAMI ADVISORY STATEMENT...

NO - REPEAT NO - WATCH OR WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE
COASTAL AREAS FROM THE CALIFORNIA-MEXICO BORDER TO THE
NORTH TIP OF VANCOUVER I., BRITISH COLUMBIA

SELECTED TSUNAMI ARRIVAL TIMES FOR INFORMATION AND REFERENCE ONLY.
THESE TIMES DO NOT INDICATE A DESTRUCTIVE TSUNAMI IS EXPECTED.
TOFINO-BC 0321 AKST JAN 13
NEAH BAY-WA 0433 PST JAN 13
CHARLESTON-OR 0441 PST JAN 1
CRESCENT CITY-CA 0445 PST JAN 13
SEASIDE-OR 0446 PST JAN 13
WESTPORT-WA 0452 PST JAN 13
SAN FRANCISCO-CA 0531 PST JAN 13
SANTA BARBARA-CA 0540 PST JAN 13
LA JOLLA-CA 0604 PST JAN 13

[edit on 13/1/2007 by ANOK]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:32 AM
link   
lets hope this is nothing but an exaggerated item on the evening news.. because if it hits the coast it will interrupt my much needed sleep.. 5 AM i believe?

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   
According to RSOE Havaria there has been five 5.0 or higher quakes through Russia since the big one hit earlier today. Aftershocks along the same faultline maybe?

Tsunami's predicted to hit, and have hit, in several places.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
To the members out in California, Japan and Hawaii...stay safe ladies, gentlemen and your family members. Hope this passes to be nothing but a warning.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   
The West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center is saying that there no longer exists a threat to the U.S. mainland west coast, Alaska, or British Columbia.

No destructive tsunami threat exists for Alaska, British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, and California. However, some areas may experience observable effects which could include strong currents in harbors and bays dangerous to those in or near the water. These effects are expected to begin at approximately 0440AM PST in the Pacific Northwest ranging to 0600AM PST in southern California and could continue for several hours after initial arrival.

To repeat, NO tsunami watch or warning is in effect for the U.S. West coast states, Alaska, and British Columbia. ...

(Shortened by me.)

Source: wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov...

It does however say that tsunamis of no greater than one foot were observed at Hanasaki Japan, Kushiro Japan, Ofunato Japan, Kamaishi Japan, Miyako Japan, and Shemya Alaska.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Well this is scary. My kid's in Alcapulco this weekend. He called me from the balcony of his hotel room last night and plans to go jet skiing and parasailing today.

He's my water baby who's always loved the ocean, except for the time he was stung by the Portuguese-man-of-war in Gtmo when he was four.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The tsunami warning issued has been cancelled so rest assured everyone will be safe although I was glad to read that so many left the predicted danger zone here in Japan.

The fears persisted for several hours, sending some Aleutian Islanders rushing for cover, before a tsunami warning that had been issued after the earthquake was canceled a little before 11 p.m.

The warning affected much of the state's Aleutian Islands and was disseminated within minutes after the magnitude-8.2 earthquake struck east of the Kuril Islands in Russia. The quake hit at 7:23 p.m. Alaska time.

A wave measured around 1 foot rolled onto the shores of Shemya, near the western tip of the Aleutians, about 9:30 p.m., according to the Alaska Tsunami Warning Center. Japan's coastline also saw small waves coming ashore, almost all of them less than a foot.

"Indications are that a tsunami was generated but small in nature," said weather service spokesman Greg Romano.

Tsunami warning pulled back

[edit on 13-1-2007 by ImJaded]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
How do you tell the difference between a normal, local wave and a small Tsunami?

Wave trains come in at alternating times and with such a small Tsunami it looks to me like it would be difficult to determine which was which.

I'm guessing there are specialized instruments/devices along coastlines to read wave height, but probably not too many of them....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join