It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami WARNING right now in Japan Hawaii & California!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
"There were no reported injuries or damage, officials said.

Meteorologists had warned of a tsunami up to 1m (3ft) in height from 1400 local time.

However, as the appointed time passed, most areas said there had been no visible changes to the sea level
";

news.bbc.co.uk...

The evactuations have been cancelled, so no need to worry everyone
!

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Tsunamis are dificult to predict and it is even more dificult to predict their magnitude. Here is an interesting link on Tsunamis related to todays quake: Tsunami, Unpredictable Threat

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
How does a quake of 8.3 cause a smaller tsunami than a smaller quake of 7.8? I beieve the tsunami that killed 230,000 people was caused by a quake smaller than this one. How does that work? Is it because the quake is closer or further from the surface?

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I guess I was writing my post when you posted Terapin.That's a good link, it just answered most of my questions.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
WOW! Look what it did to seismographs around the world! VERY interesting stuff...

USGS Seismic Server

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by opinionsarefree
How does a quake of 8.3 cause a smaller tsunami than a smaller quake of 7.8? I beieve the tsunami that killed 230,000 people was caused by a quake smaller than this one. How does that work? Is it because the quake is closer or further from the surface?

It is not the size of the earthquake, but the type of earthquake that creates a Tsunami. Some earthquakes in the water involve the ground moving in a way where the ground under the ocean is pushed up. This creates a Tsunami. Many earthquakes involve the ground moving side to side, which does not create a Tsunami. A huge earthquake in which the earth moves side to side will create a small Tsunami or no Tsunami at all, while a modest size earthquake in which the earth is pushed up can create a large Tsunami.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
hisz.rsoe.hu...

According to RSOE there has been 50 quakes in the exact same spot in the past 24 hours... no wonder there was a damn Tsunami warning...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join