It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ten billion to put an base on the moon? what a waste of money

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I seriously hope this is a joke. NASA plan to spend an obscene amount of money just
to put some sort of high tech living quarters on the moon? what in gods name for?

No normal average joe will ever get there, we will never see it being constructed, if
anything alien is there, we will never see it.

It would cost NASA millions to get people fit for space travel.

NASA also claims it will be a launch pad for our first trip to mars, so by their reckoning,
the launch of the biggest and most important space flight in history will be safer in a
dodgy cold harsh enviroment with no oxygen, instead of the tried and tested launches
from earth?

The moon is a dead rock, so they say. So whatever is there,(past relics and whatnot) we will never be allowed to find out the true secrets of the moon so whats the point.

Its funny how NASA releases pics of supposed water on mars to get people juiced up,
then announce they're going to spend a vast amount of money on a pointless project
on which we thouht they had given up on years ago.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
You got a link or something ?

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
LOL you do know it would be cheaper in the long run to send ships from the moon instead of earth.
10billion isn't that much compared to the hundreds of billions of $ that have been spent on black projects.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Where did you hear NASA will spend 10 billion on this project ?

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
go on to the bbc news website

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
look on the audio/video section

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
10 billion for a moon base, is probaly going to be pretty small actually. They should build one with a Mcdonalds where average joes get to come and sip a cappacino.

Any dollars that get spent towards space is a step foward for humans think about it

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I'm right there with you. It's clear NASA's motives are dubious.

The release of the Mars info concurrent with the announcement to build a base on the moon is conspicuous to the point of absurdity.

NASA's clunky, unskilled public relations menuevering smacks of a Three Stooges routine...like when Moe has Larry watch his fist as he swings another one from behind and whacks Larry's head. You expect to hear the *BONK* followed by the *WAH WAH WAH WAAAAAAAH* sound...

Water on Mars? Let's build a moon base! I said this before, but building a moon base may be fiscally prudent for the unambitious, broke and misdirected space program, but all it does is create the perception of progress.

If NASA wanted to make the announcement that there was water, and therefore possible life on Mars, and do it without virtually having to do anything about it for at least a half century, then making the Mars announcement at the same time they decide they're going to build an apartment bulding for astronauts on the moon is the way to do it. Tie up your resources for decades to come.

If NASA wanted to obviate, or marginalize themselves even further - then spending the next fifty (...) years building an apartment building on the moon, updating us on what the astronauts had for lunch, and how they're testing the "something scientificky" for the twelfth time - just to make sure - is actually going to achieve that. Look, another rock!

Who cares anyway? NASA is an impotent space mechanic - a misdirection and public front to placate and draw away the public's push for space exploration. The vapid show that has been NASA since their single and only great feet since their inception - the moon landing - has been enough for the majority of the public. And that's all they've wanted; or at least the individuals directing that program.

The individuals controlling that organization from behind the scenes, the ones who are silencing our astronauts, can go on with their game. But those individuals who are NOT from this planet will keep coming and coming and coming until this tenuous web of lies falls away, revealing the program for what it really is...

I truly hope that soon NASA will be standing bare amidst the lies they've perpetrated on the public, and will appear as ridiculous and self-serving as they really are.

I love the quote I read someone on ATS put as their signature. I think it was Benjamin Franklin or someone, "Censorship is when a man is told he cannot have a steak, because a baby can't chew it". Something to that affect...

Bring on the steak!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(...)
Edited for censor circumvention

[edit on 9/12/06 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Let's see what's 10 more billion compared to $9 Trillion national debt that was at only $5.6 when Bush took office. I did vote for this (...) and totally regret it now. And I think the Democrats are just as bad. What a worthless bunch of legalized criminals.

www.npr.org...

www.brillig.com...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edited for censor circumvention

[edit on 9/12/06 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Any dollars that get spent towards space is a step foward for humans think about it

Why is it? Why will benefit us? Do you think its gonna be like star trek in a few
generations? Aliens have meant to have been here for donkeys years, they're
hardly likely to start up a federation just cos we dont have live on earth anymore. Also, if there was any resources on the moon to harvest for earth, they would have reaped that rock years ago.

Lets discover the secret of the our own planet first.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by thesneakiod

I seriously hope this is a joke. NASA plan to spend an obscene amount of money just
to put some sort of high tech living quarters on the moon? what in gods name for?

NASA is a joke nevertheless it’s the only joke we have for now to get humans into space.

No normal average joe will ever get there, we will never see it being constructed, if
anything alien is there, we will never see it.

There is more alien stuff on earth than on the moon that the average Joe will never get to see also

It would cost NASA millions to get people fit for space travel.

More like trillions, but if we are going to waste money in the government what better place?

NASA also claims it will be a launch pad for our first trip to mars, so by their reckoning,
the launch of the biggest and most important space flight in history will be safer in a
dodgy cold harsh enviroment with no oxygen, instead of the tried and tested launches
from earth?

We have to crawl before we can walk, building a moon base will be a first step in learning how to walk in our solar system.

The moon is a dead rock, so they say. So whatever is there,(past relics and whatnot) we will never be allowed to find out the true secrets of the moon so whats the point.

Humans haven’t figured out the pyramids of Egypt and many other ancient sights, but they make nice tourist attractions. In the next century all the people in the world will know about extraterrestrials but not if we don’t start crawling off this planet.

Its funny how NASA releases pics of supposed water on mars to get people juiced up,
then announce they're going to spend a vast amount of money on a pointless project
on which we thouht they had given up on years ago.

Not one penny will be shipped into the moon or into space; all that money will remain here on earth creating jobs to build all those moon modules and whatever else we send up there. And the technology acquired from those baby steps into space will be used down here on earth.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I would rather have the government spend my money on space and science meant to further the human race and make life better for our children than to spend it on killing other people's children in the name of the war on terror.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The space program is a joke.

NASA spends billions a year and all they have to show for is a few Mars pictures.

We have to save our Earth. This is the only reliable spaceship anyway.

NASA spending should be re-routed to places that could actually use the money for something good.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by omega1

NASA spends billions a year and all they have to show for is a few Mars pictures.

Well, at least that is all they are telling us about. I for one tend to think that there must be some reason for sending rockets into space other than just to "spend money." However, if they are not going to be open about everything that they are finding out, and they haven't been, then,yeah, it's an extreme waste of money.

[edit on 9-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

jra

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by omega1

NASA spending should be re-routed to places that could actually use the money for something good.

If that's all you think comes out of the space program is a few Mars photos, than you have some serious misunderstandings.

You want to save the Earth? Who helped give us the ability to view and study our planet from above in different ways and learn new things about it, using satellites and all sorts of imaging and sensing equipment? Oh that's right, NASA (and other space agencies)

Why do people always jump on NASA for spending lots of money. Are you so unaware of how much money the US spends on the War? NASA's entire budget is something like 1% of the entire Federal Budget. I think we can spend money to save the Earth and continue a space program don't you think?

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
NASA should get a hold of johnlear. I'm sure his contacts can set them up on the pre-existing bases, already there.

Not meaning to be mean or anything, but johnlear has made extraordinary claims of moon bases.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I'd much rather see $10 billion spent on a concerted effort to build a lunar base than another $10 billion spent on waging some senseless war.

In order for mankind to 'reach for the stars', there is a need for lunar mining and the production of materials to manufacture spacecraft.

The lower gravity would make a launch much more viable with bigger payloads as well as the thinner atmosphere making landings there easier.

It's more sensible than assembling long range spacecraft in orbit, imho.

I'm all for it because it's a natural 'stepping stone'.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SKUNK
LOL you do know it would be cheaper in the long run to send ships from the moon instead of earth.
10billion isn't that much compared to the hundreds of billions of $ that have been spent on black projects.

How do you reckon it will be cheaper? Everything that would be launched from the moon has to be launched from the earth first to get there. There is no hardware there and no fuel supplies, not even water, so what is the point of having a base or stop-off point there?

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Posted by OnTheDeck

The release of the Mars info concurrent with the announcement to build a base on the moon is conspicuous to the point of absurdity.

For one thing we've known since right after the Columbia disaster that NASA planed to build a Moon Base and send a manned mission to Mars. That is old news. We just didn't know where on the moon NASA planned to put the Base.

IMO this is a major step forward for NASA.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
YEahh...

$10 billion is pocket change dude.. especially since it is over several years.. and it will of course balloon into 50+ billion to 100+ billion like the ISS did.

You should be glad that we are spending our money on such a scientific endeavour instead of creating 2 more missiles with the same amount of money to kill a few more people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join