It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best hunting/survival knife?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Without a doubt... Any version of the large benchmade griptilian. It is sturdy, excellent at locking and unlocking, and has a powerful clip.
Search Doug Ritter Griptilian... It has been hailed as the ultimate survival knife by many adventurers.

For tomahawk-hammer-pick.... The SOG fusion. SOG also makes a very durable and powerful multitool.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I always carry 3 knives (when not traveling by plane, that is): a Laguiole Extra folding pocket knife (French made, very reliable through 18 years of intensive daily use, with 4-inch blade, punch and corkscrew), a Leatherman (standard model, the original) and a Leatherman Micra (folding scissors with some extras). When I used to go hiking I took a larger full-tang knife along in my pack.
A small saw works better on small trees and thick branches than a big knife...

If I had to choose only one, I'd probably take the Laguiole, although the Leatherman with its pliers and other extras is more versatile. I'm just emotionally attached to the Laguiole.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I'm a 2-knife kind of person myself.

My dads' old issue folding clasp knife with 2 1/2 inch blade lives in my pocket. Handy for all those fiddly jobs. Also perfectly legal in the UK to carry in public. This is a good picture of a new one. Mine has issue markings and a hell of a lot of wear and tear. The blade and joints are still in top shape though.

An Extrema Ratio Shrapnel knife. Fixed 4 1/4ish length blade. Hoofing scabbard, hard as nails construction. Holds a fantastic edge but sharpens like a charm. Beautiful working knife.

Anything that these can't cover really needs a hatchet. In the jungle I carry a Kukri, but that's just because the issue golock is pretty gash. Mine is a Cold Stee version. It lasted me 6 months in Sierra Leonne and the Jungle Warfare Cadre in Belize. The top heavy blade makes for easier cutting of vegitation.

[edit on 18-11-2007 by PaddyInf]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Heres my humble opinion. First, it should be something you carry and use all the time. Don't wait for a survival situation to learn your Knife. The knife should feel like an extension of your hand.

Real world situations you may be faced with in your daily life:
Cutting seatbelt at car accident to remove injured person from vehicle
Fending off a neighborhood pitbull or other aggresive dog
Defending against a thief/mugger or anyone else you may mean you harm

Classic survival situations:
Skinning game
sharpening fishing spear
cutting rope, clothing, bandages,
Defense against animal
Defense or Offense against Human

Based on these, I think an ideal Survival Knife should:
Be a locking folder 3 1/2 to 4 in. blade length for ease of carry.
Have a partially serrated edge for rope/cloth cutting.
Have high quality steel blade (Skinning a deer with a cheap blade means resharpening often).
Have an aggressive point and proper handle for defense purposes.

Here's my submission for Best Survival Knife

It's the best knife I've had. I grew up on a farm, was a combat Marine, (not an office pogue), boxed and currently do MMA and have a machine shop in my garage so I have a pretty decent background to judge survival/combat knives. Still, it's just my opinion.

Last thing I'll say about the knife: Because of the steel reinforced nylon handle, it's actually a well balanced knife. Meaning you can throw it, very rare for a folding knife. I've had this type knife for 9 years and can draw and throw it up to 10 feet as quick and reliable as a cop can draw and shoot (better than some). Nice feature if you're in a store getting robbed.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I like these knives

tom is a badass too..

[edit on 29-11-2007 by Animal]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Half a Grand but its what I use. None better but very hard to find. A good lower grade will still set you back $350. I use a chunk of log or wood to drive the axe if needed and it does great. Rides on your belt out of the way.

cgi.ebay.com...:MEWA:IT&ih=004

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

The gerber camping axe is just like the Fiskars hand Axe sold at Home depot without the knife in the handle, it is however a very nice light little Hand Axe..

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
While you guys are all naming great production knives I would have to point you in another direction and that is the direction of the actual makers that designed the knives for all of the aforementioned companies, i.e. CRKT, Benchmade, Boker, Buck, etc etc... Guys like Kit Carson, Jim Burke, Neil Blackwood, Trace Rinaldi, Allen Elizhewitz, Shane Sibert, etc...are all on there.

You can find them on www.customknivesandguns.com You will have to register to check out their forums, but they are the greats of their time and have designed for these companies for years.

I collect custom knives and mostly from the makers on that site. They are hands down the best usable knives on the market. The makers also make knives specific to what you may be looking for, such as a survival knife, or a pocket knife.

As for a survival knife nothing under a 9" fixed blade will do for me. Prefer no serrations, but partial serrations would be ok. I would actually not be caught in the wilderness without a 10" fixed blade, a 4" fixed blade and a folder on hand....and a rifle and pistol.

Either way....if you really are looking for a great knife you should check that site out.

-B

[edit on 12/20/07 by Vasa Croe]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
i rather like the finnish made knives, i have 3 kellem knives ranging from 4 to 10 inch fixed blades ( one in personal pouch, one in car gear and largest in bob, i also have a lock knife in my handbag and a gainsfor hatchet in my bob ( + army pack up axe in car gear). i always keep them sharp and use them for all sorts of everyday needs so that if i ever needed them for survival i can comfortably and safely do so.
m xx

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
i prefer a gerber gator serrated edge and a U.S.M.C. kabar(best fighting knife in the world) I use mine for everything the gerber cost around 20 u.s. dollars and the kabar is around 50 u.s. dollars both can be found at the nearest cabelas store which just happens to have a lot of nice survival gear but some is a bit pricey

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

The tracker knife is amazing!
I have the smaller version because I am small and couldnt easily use the bigger version that my husband has, It is large and a bit heavy and i was too worried about hurting myself trying to use it.

They cost a decent chunk of money but are well worth it, there isnt a lot that it wont do.

Actually anything on that site including the books are well worth the money. Id love to be able to go to one of his classes some day

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Right now I'm using a Gerber. Strong knife and sturdy, easy to sharpen.

I personally think its better to keep it simple. No leather-man multi-tool for me, although that would be a good thing to have in a worse case scenario situation.

The less you can make do with, the better off you are.

The less moving parts, the less chance of a failure.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I always carry a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife on me no matter where I go. It can do just about any job imaginable, and keeps a keen edge. MacGyver can attest to it's many virtues.

For a larger knife, I have a USAF Pilot Survival knife by Camillus. It's razor sharp, sturdy, inexpensive ($35), and just the right size for belt carry in the woods.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
full tang is very important

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I prefer the Buck nighthawk short. I like the way it feels in my hand and its balance.

The Axe i carry is a gransfors Bruks made in sweden.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
With many years in the wilderness [most under survival type conditions] I have come to rely on Chris Reeves knives. His Sebenza model never leaves my side along with a leatherman tool. It is a great multi-purpose lockback. Incredibly strong and durable. Carried and used every day for over 13 years now. I also recommend his one piece knives for camp knives. Nearly indestructible, I have tried. For a cheaper production knife Gerber is good and Columbia Reiver Knife and Tool is coming on strong.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

[edit on 31-1-2008 by reluctantpawn]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
For a pure out and out knife for battle I would recommend the Al Mar Warrior. Only if you are well versed in the art of knife combat. They are extremely hard to find and later discontinued by the manufacturer due to production costs. I have one and it is the most amazing knife I have ever had the joy to hold.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I like a Buck knife for a hunting knife also...

I have used a Kabar as a camp knife for years and have abused it horribly.. it has never failed me.

Check out this survival knife comparison.. Cool rifles too:

LINK: www.survival-gear-guide.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Fixed Blade - Fallkniven A1 Black Survival

Axe - Gerber Gator Axe II

Folding Knife - Cold Steel XL Voyager

Multi Tool - Sog Powerlock

Machete - Ontario 18" w/ knuckleguard

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
i agree with the gerber gator mentioned earlier. i am a farmer and rancher, and have had one now for 10 plus years. awesome knife, good balance, and the serrations, which i usually dont like, have been of great benefit. i also have a fixed blade case which has been an excellent for hunting, and my dads old buck lockback. its probably 40 years old and still tight.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join