It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Untapped troop resources?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I was not sure where to post this; I also just want to say this is a question I have had on my mind and just waned to get it out there and see what some of you think. I do not have any links to add.

I was wondering what some of you thought about making use of some of our criminals. You know offenders like child molesters, murderers and rapists. Some of these people are in for life, wouldn’t it save taxpayer money to make a deal of sorts allowing them to earn there freedom in the service of there country, I mean if some of these people are truly sorry what better way to atone for there crimes then to defend there country and all it’s peoples.

Thank you for lending me some of your valuable time to read my speculative question.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   
sure....I want to send murders, rapists and other major criminals in a combat situation with loaded weapons side by side with other servicemen.

Besides the fact you couldnt let these people out of your sight for a minute, they may turn on other soldiers and kill them. They might also attack civilians.

We have enough discilipine problems with a volunteer oriented armed forces. I sure as hell wouldnt want a murderer next to me. I think this shows just how lowly some people consider the armed forces. Murderers with uniforms

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 02:33 AM
link   
And by letting child molesters defend our country in a war, you mean replacing sandbags with them piled up around the foxholes, right?

Seriously, ask yourself would you trust your life to a criminal whom you would not leave alone in a room with your kids.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I think you have watched the movie "the" Dirty Dozen " too many times.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Some of these people are in for life, wouldn’t it save taxpayer money to make a deal of sorts allowing them to earn there freedom in the service of there country, I mean if some of these people are truly sorry what better way to atone for there crimes then to defend there country and all it’s peoples

He is not saying let the ones who will not / cannot ever be rehabilitated (is that the word?). Think about the drug heads who could (hypothetically) get clean in jail and then volunteer for some form of service. Now, of course, this plan would have to have lots of rules and regulations for screening the person and all, but surely there's a few somewhere.

I have thought for years that these people get off too easy when they commit crimes. I think there should be labor camps for these chumps. Remember how they used to make them break rocks all day and lay down the railroad pipes?

Something good like retarring a roof on a hot August day would make someone really sorry they sold those drugs on the neighborhood corner. It might actually teach people a trade so maybe they'd be better when they got out. You know, try and give them a skill.

I have heard of prisoners in making jeans. They've set up a sewing shop and they make jeans all day. They get to keep the money they earn (it's really not much) so they'll have something to help them when they get out. They are being useful to society (providing a service) and learning how to do something. I think these programs are priveledges for offenders and I can see how it could help both ways.

Here's a link to that story I am referencing.
www.mnplan.state.mn.us...
www.usstuff.com...

This next article goes into detail about how prison labor benefits our economy. I'm all for it too.

www.centralreg.k12.nj.us... /articles12-23.htm

I know that the OP's topic was sending them to war to get killed (instead of innocent lives, right?). I'm not so sure how that could be done, but there's a whole lot of other stuff that can be done with criminals.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by uplander

Some of these people are in for life, wouldn’t it save taxpayer money to make a deal of sorts allowing them to earn there freedom in the service of there country, I mean if some of these people are truly sorry what better way to atone for there crimes then to defend there country and all it’s peoples

He is not saying let the ones who will not / cannot ever be rehabilitated (is that the word?). Think about the drug heads who could (hypothetically) get clean in jail and then volunteer for some form of service. Now, of course, this plan would have to have lots of rules and regulations for screening the person and all, but surely there's a few somewhere.

I have thought for years that these people get off too easy when they commit crimes. I think there should be labor camps for these chumps. Remember how they used to make them break rocks all day and lay down the railroad pipes?

Something good like retarring a roof on a hot August day would make someone really sorry they sold those drugs on the neighborhood corner. It might actually teach people a trade so maybe they'd be better when they got out. You know, try and give them a skill.

I have heard of prisoners in making jeans. They've set up a sewing shop and they make jeans all day. They get to keep the money they earn (it's really not much) so they'll have something to help them when they get out. They are being useful to society (providing a service) and learning how to do something. I think these programs are priveledges for offenders and I can see how it could help both ways.

Here's a link to that story I am referencing.
www.mnplan.state.mn.us...
www.usstuff.com...

This next article goes into detail about how prison labor benefits our economy. I'm all for it too.

www.centralreg.k12.nj.us... /articles12-23.htm

I know that the OP's topic was sending them to war to get killed (instead of innocent lives, right?). I'm not so sure how that could be done, but there's a whole lot of other stuff that can be done with criminals.

Wow! Thank you uplander, that is what I was trying to say but I just couldn’t quite get it out, I to agree that some get off to lightly. I don't see why programs can not be thought of to rehabilitate some, and then there the violent ones that may or may not be useful in a war, I mean they like violence so why not give it a thought or two.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleksander
I was not sure where to post this; I also just want to say this is a question I have had on my mind and just waned to get it out there and see what some of you think. I do not have any links to add.

I was wondering what some of you thought about making use of some of our criminals. You know offenders like child molesters, murderers and rapists. Some of these people are in for life, wouldn’t it save taxpayer money to make a deal of sorts allowing them to earn there freedom in the service of there country, I mean if some of these people are truly sorry what better way to atone for there crimes then to defend there country and all it’s peoples.

Thank you for lending me some of your valuable time to read my speculative question.

I see where your point is coming from,but that wouldn't work out too well. Think back to vietnam. Criminals were given a choice,go to prison or go to 'nam. Murderers,rapists and the like dont make good in that type of environment. But i agree with your later post. Im all for having them do domestic labor.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Hopefully this will never happen - US Forces' reputation isn't terribly good to start with ('friendly fire' / rape, murder, prisoner abuse etc etc) labelling them all with a 'possible child molester' tag will only increase the animosity / hand a fantastic proganda card to the opposition.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 06:53 AM
link   
hahahahahaha,

im sure it could be workable, maybe turn death row prisoners into suicide bombers,or send them on kamakasi missions,

wasnt the battle of the bulge near the end of WW2 full of the criminals and the sick,i heard hitler was so desperate he emptied all the institutions.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Doing this would be the same as did Rome with his army... taking anyone in his army to fight his enemies... they already do that with mexicans... they trade a US citizenship with X years of military.

The USA is going down...

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
America is going down as the previous poster stated?

Your hatred is quite clear. Nice to say that about me and my country. Bravo!

Why are there millions and millions of people coming to the USA illegally?.....I guess Iran or China or Sudan have the same problems of people risking there lives to go there....not

Oh, yeah China shoots Tibetans on the border, Sudan kills people in Daufur, and Iran is really tolerant of other infidel religons.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Your hatred is quite clear. Nice to say that about me and my country. Bravo!

My hatred? I was just saying that with everything Bush did and the economy going down, the US will soon fall, it's not fun, it's bad and sad. It's time to take back you're country! Sorry if you misunderstanded me!

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Holy Dirty Dozen! This sounds like a great idea for a movie, we can sign like twelve hollywood stars and have them offered deals for parole etc. to do an impossible mission!

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I'd support giving them the option to do it, but it should'nt be forced
upon them, regardless of what crime they may have commited, they
are still a citizen of these United States, and above that still a human
being, and forcing someone to go to war is a theft of freedom, and as
such is unforgiveable.

top topics

join