It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drinkers: Avoid Acetaminophen (Tylenol)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I admit I drink a lot of scotch, but I don't consider it a huge amount -- I'm still a functioning human being.

But blood tests have repeatedly come back with horrible liver enzyme numbers after I've been on prescription medications such as Vicodin and Percacet that contain acetaminophen.

Talk to your doctor if you need painkillers and request either the pure form (like Percalone) or something mixed with another drug (like Vicoprofin).

Acetaminophen (also known as Paracetamol in some countries) is a bad drug, especially if you drink. It also appears in many over-the-counter medications, so always read the labels.

[edit on 10/2/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I'll take this opportunity to add my warning about NAPROXEN to your warning.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Seriously .. I was on it for one week. It's been a month since I got off and I'm still short of breath and having irregular heart beat. NASTY stuff.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I had a real bad Vicodin addiction a few years back and drank like Betty Ford on top of it. I kicked the addiction and I thank God that my liver is still in good working condition according to my last blood test. I think at the end I was somewhere around seven pills per dose at 750mg Acetaminophen each (750 X 7 = 5250mg Acetaminophen per dose/twice a day). On top of that about a couple Jack and diet Cokes and a few glasses of wine per day.

I think I have one of those Keith Richards livers that can pretty much stand up to anything I can throw at it (knock on wood).

Peace

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Well here's the warning from my favorite drug reference:

Drug Facts and Comparisons (2001)

Dosage: Do not exceed recommended dosage.

Hepotoxicity: Hepotoxicity and severe hepatic failure occurred in chronic alcoholics following therapeutic doses. The hepatotoxicity is believed to be caused by induction of Hepatic microsomal enzymes resulting in an increase of toxic metabolites, or by the reduced amount of glutathinone responsible for conjugateing toxic metabolites or by the reduced amount of glutathine responsible for conjugating toxic metabolites. A safe dose for a chronic alcohol abuser has not been determined. Caution regular alcohol users to limit acetameniphin use to less than 2 grams per day.

[edit on 10/2/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Ok well I went to see my doctor's nurse-assistant today and she prescrbed me 10 pills of pure oxycodone (5mg) and told me to tell the dentist he can't give me Vicodin or anything else that contains acetamenaphin. The only problem, it's kind of hard (even in Manhattan) to find pharmacies that have that drug in stock since it's a DEA CII substance

Luckly I do know of an old pharmacy near a hospital not too far away that usually has everything.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I'm sure Rush Limbaugh can hook you up with plenty Dj.

I wouldn't tell the dentist anything. I'd take the oxycontin and the vicodins.

Peace

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I wouldn't tell the dentist anything. I'd take the oxycontin and the vicodins.

Peace

I told him what my doctor said and I couldn't have any more Tylenol, and he gave me Percodan which is oxycodone + aspirin, which is better than Vicodin, so things worked out cool.

top topics

join