It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have any of you met your "mate" online

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Just curious to know how many of you guys have met your "significant other" online ?

I met my current girlfriend online. started off as casual chatting, then phone calls, 5 hour drives on the weekends to see eachother, then 5 hour drives 2 times a week, then one day, I quit my job and moved to be with her.

Been together 6 years now.

[edit] for an update... been together 7 years now in January.

[Edited on 30-11-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Yes. Springer and I. Almost 6 years ago.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 12:12 PM
link   
It's certainly a more efficent way to meet people who have similar (ie nerdy in my case) interests to you. Even so, that's not necessarily a reliable way. In my case, it's rather impractical - I live in South Africa and the bulk of internet users are in the US.

It's also a good way to start a relationship, I think, but you have to have some means of being in physical contact with one another (which is eventually the whole point).

It's also interesting in that some 90% of human communication is done non-verbally. Lines of text lead one to presuppose what another is thinking or intending. If anybody says "Lampyridae" they'll think of an F-16 pilot with his visor down. Just the way Valhall to me is a fish and Dragonrider is a flamethrower-toting dragon in a trenchcoat. The other guys who change their avatar frequently (like FULCRUM and ) are actually very hard to picture. What a terrible pun. And I've gone way off the topic. And I'm supposed to be studying.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 12:15 PM
link   
excellent point Lampyridae...

when I first started chatting with my gal.. I could only imagine what she looked like and what she was "really" like... I had to go by her screen name... which was okay with me.... "herblondness" all I can say is, it was dead on...

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I have me alot of "mates" online

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
excellent point Lampyridae...

when I first started chatting with my gal.. I could only imagine what she looked like and what she was "really" like... I had to go by her screen name... which was okay with me.... "herblondness" all I can say is, it was dead on...

Yes, true... but again, it's a bit difficult me being in SA and the vast proponderance of female web users being in the US, :bnghd: although I do have a couple of Aussie mates on my MSN.

arc

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I actually met mine on a dating website (and I dare admit it). We've only been together 6 months so far and live about an hours journey apart, but things are certainly working

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I met my wife online in 1999. We've been together for four years now and married last year. Of course, when we first started talking online, all I had to go on was her nickname and the fact that she was a redhead. When we finally met, I discovered that she was even cuter than I imagined.

And yes, I'm trying to get her to join ATS/BTS (She is as much of a conspiracy theorist as I am).

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I met my husband online...

He was such a smart ass, so intelligent, witty, and sensible..

I had to message him to ask more info about him....

A year later we were married. We've been married since june.... Been together for almost two....

best decision i've ever made.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
*bump* *bump*

a lot of new members now... thought maybe they'd like the opportunity to post in this thread ?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePook
I met my wife online in 1999. We've been together for four years now and married last year. Of course, when we first started talking online, all I had to go on was her nickname and the fact that she was a redhead. When we finally met, I discovered that she was even cuter than I imagined.

And yes, I'm trying to get her to join ATS/BTS (She is as much of a conspiracy theorist as I am).

Update: 5 years now and she joined ATS a while ago

(and for those wondering why I am updating this message from 'The Pook' - thats the name I originally joined as)

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I met mine online....... I approached him because his personality just sparked a curiousity in me... I wanted to meet him, did, we both liked eachother, and been together since 2002...

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have mated with people i met online, but never actually met someone for a serious relationship online, just casual flings.

I have had some cases where the person is nothing like the picture posted, or completely different to how they seem online, so always be wary when using the net to pic people...

And Pisky... Did you use the pic in your AVATAR to court KayEm?

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
And Pisky... Did you use the pic in your AVATAR to court KayEm?

Unfortunately I met her in my pre-pixy baby days, so I had to use my natural charm instead

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
A while ago I met a nice guy online, he seemed really cool, we were getting along well, so we decided to meet in real life.
That didn't go well. At first it was ok, mostly because the illusion created online was very strong. But the more time we spent together the worse it got. He was completely diferent in real life. So the whole thing lasted a few months and it ended in a lot of disapointment, anger, fight, tragedy.

I am never doing it again. Ever. No more online dates.
:shk:

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip
A while ago I met a nice guy online, he seemed really cool, we were getting along well, so we decided to meet in real life.
That didn't go well. At first it was ok, mostly because the illusion created online was very strong. But the more time we spent together the worse it got. He was completely diferent in real life. So the whole thing lasted a few months and it ended in a lot of disapointment, anger, fight, tragedy.

I am never doing it again. Ever. No more online dates.
:shk:

Very sorry for you Paperclip.. Keep your head up

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Back when I was 16 or 17 I had one of those online relationships - She lived in Wisconsin and I lived in Virginia at the time though, so we were pretty far apart and didn't met during that time....I racked up some hefty phone bills during that time though....We could talk for hours and hours on the phone and still have more to say when we hung up - so we'd take turns calling on the same days - we'd spend two hours talking on my phone, then she'd call back on her phone and we'd keep talking....When I moved to Florida, she went to Orlando with her school debate team and I drove down to hang out with her for the day - Beautiful and awesome girl...I wish things could have worked out, but long distance relationships are near impossible when you barely see eachother...

I met one other girl online, who I dated for a couple months - She was a friend of a friend and she was at a private out of state college when my buddy told me I should IM her and get to know her before she came home for Thanksgiving....We became really close really fast....When she came in town on her breaks we'd hang out and have fun....But she wanted her space while she was in college so she could have the chance to do all the things she wanted to do without having to hang on to some distant relationship....

*sighs* women.....lol

[edit on 12/8/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
I racked up some hefty phone bills during that time though....We could talk for hours and hours on the phone and still have more to say when we hung up - *sighs* women.....lol

[edit on 12/8/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

yeah... I know all about those phone bills...

MY Girls last phone bill she paid before I moved up here was $800.00

I have a phone bill that is $10,000 that's right $10 G's.

I had a roomate who would stay up all night calling women that he met online, using a calling card that was in my name, that I didn't know he had.

Big fight, I had to pay about half of it, and got the other half proven as fraud.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
No, I'm shallow and need to see what they look like.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I have a phone bill that is $10,000 that's right $10 G's.

Big fight, I had to pay about half of it, and got the other half proven as fraud.

WOW! And you got stuck with half of it?! I'll bet you guys don't chum around any more....

And I thought my old roomates were bad for leaving their dishes in the sink for over a month....Little did I know, I had it easy!

<<   2 >>

join