It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's behind mysterious booms?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
SMR

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Phenomena produce theories, but no answers
By Alex Roth
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

April 23, 2006

Life can serve up a good mystery every once in a while. Weird things happen that defy explanation, that make us wonder how much we really know about the world.
Something of the sort happened in San Diego County shortly before 9 a.m. Tuesday, April 4, and so far no one has come forward with an explanation.

Whatever it was, it caused a woman's bed to shake in Lakeside. It created waves in a backyard pool in Carmel Valley. It set off car alarms in Kearny Mesa and rattled windows from Mission Beach to Poway to Vista. At various spots throughout the county, people reported a rumbling sound or a booming noise.
Scientists insist it wasn't an earthquake. The Federal Aviation Administration has no record of any planes producing a sonic boom by breaking the sound barrier.

Camp Pendleton officials say no activities on the Marine base could have created such a disturbance. There were no large explosions in San Diego County that day, and no meteor fireballs were reported in the sky that morning.

What was it, then?

“My garage door is double steel and it weighs about 500 lbs. It was rattling back and forth like a leaf in the wind for about 3 or 4 seconds.”
– e-mail from University City resident on April 4 disturbance

SOURCE and more to article

Mystery disturbance traced to sound wave

Scripps scientists say it traveled over the ocean to desert
By Alex Roth
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

April 27, 2006

A group of local scientists has uncovered some clues to the source of a mysterious disturbance that rattled San Diego County on the morning of April 4, shaking windows, doors and bookcases from the coast to the mountains.

The scientists, based at Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla, say the disturbance was caused by a sound wave that started over the ocean and petered out over the Imperial County desert. Using data from more than two dozen seismometers, they traced its likely origin to a spot roughly 120 miles off the San Diego coast.
That spot is in the general vicinity of Warning Area 291, a huge swath of ocean used for military training exercises. The Navy operates a live-fire range on San Clemente Island, which is within Warning Area 291 and sits about 65 miles from Mission Bay.

The researchers also have charted dozens of similar, if less dramatic, incidents that seem to have originated in the same general area of the ocean. They aren't sure what caused any of them.

Peter Shearer, a Scripps professor involved in the research, has no idea whether the April 4 disturbance was natural or made by humans.

Steve Fiebing, a Coronado-based Navy spokesman, said the live-fire range on San Clemente Island was inactive April 4. He also said there was no Navy or Marine Corps flight activity in Warning Area 291 on that day that would have caused a sonic boom or a countywide tremor.

The area, also known in military circles as Whiskey 291, covers 1 million square miles and is off-limits to civilian planes and ships, Fiebing said.

“There was no unusual training that would have caused anything close to what people here felt,” he said.

Cmdr. William Fenick, another local Navy spokesman, said no San Diego-based warships were conducting operations in Warning Area 291 that day.

=================================================

So what is going on and what was this? I am honestly asking.
Here is an image of the 'path' of this thing...sound....
LINK TO FULL IMAGE

Just minutes ago, near this area we had 2 quakes.
A 3.6 Monday, May 8, 2006 at 5:13:36 PM - earthquake.usgs.gov...
A 3.1 Monday, May 8, 2006 at 5:30:33 PM - earthquake.usgs.gov...

First we have this odd sound wave from somewhere/something then we have 2 quakes about 1 month later in the same area.Quakes are nothing odd here, but with that sound wave/boom and then quakes in/from the same area....odd.

SMR

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
So doing more searching I have found that this is still not solved nor does it llok like it ever will be.It also looks like it iwll just fade away.

I did however find more to this.I found that while doing a www.signonsandiego.com... r%3BS%3Awww.signonsandiego.com...%3BAWFID%3A9cc4a60ad1ae1e65%3B" target="_blank" class="postlink">google search, there are MANY, and I mean many, sites that picked up on this subject of mysterious booms.A few interesting sites of course were Alex Jones' Prison Planet and UFO Area

While reading, I did see that I missed a paragraph that I think is interesting.Interesting because of all the links on this issue, many are turning towards this explaination.The idea is that it is militery and that it had to do with Aurora.

Among bloggers and Web-based conspiracy theorists, one of the leading explanations for the San Diego disturbance is that the military is testing a top-secret spy plane called the Aurora, which supposedly can travel several times the speed of sound.

“Sir, I've never even heard of that plane before,” an Air Force spokeswoman in Virginia responded when asked about the possibility.

Some suggest an 'airburst' but that too has been ruled out as no meteor was spotted on April 4th over the state of California.

Here is a local news report on video about this issue and some expert interviews.
Click here to watch shaker-82

I also found while searching the google link above a page on these and other 'booms' of the same type.What is interesting is the suggestion of HAARP being involved.
You can read more on that here

HAARP is capable of blasting a super-charged, high frequency radio wave into the earth's atmosphere. This controllable [?] radio wave is so powerful and electromagnetically charged that it can actually lift the ionosphere while simultaneously heating it! The ionosphere is an electromagnetically charged shield that surrounds the earth's upper atmosphere. The ionosphere (ozone layer) protects the earth from deadly radiation and spikes emitted by the sun.

An interesting thing is, we have this sorta HAARP thing in San Diego.Along Imperial Beach strand you can view this huge structure of antena.Here is a Google Maps shot you can zoom in on.Not much you can see from there, but here is an image to give you an idea.

This is/was known as AN/FRD-10 CLASSIC BULLSEYE which was shut down in the 1990's ..... so what could it be being used for now?

......to be continued

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
We used to get those exact same things happening when the Hawaii ANG F-4s (yes, this was a long time ago) would go supersonic less than 200 miles offshore. It would register as a 3.0-4.0 earthquake, and would rattle windows, and coffee mugs on shelves all over the windward side, and they were 150 miles offshore.

SMR

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
This wasnt caused by any aircraft Im afraid.Nor was this recorded as an earthquake.
If you watch the video clip you will see how things register on a scale.
Plus the fact that nothing was in that area doing any flying that would have caused it.
If you see, the area it started from is an area in which nothing ( so they say ) was going on.If it was a aircraft that made this sonic boom, I am quite sure they would say so.But nobody can say what it was.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Yeah, pretty strange.

Do you have any theories on what it could have been ?

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Very weird indeed. Wouldn't be an airplane breaking the sound barrier otherwise you'd hear more of car horns going off over the place. Been at airshows where they've boomed and no car horns set off.

Whatever it was is big. Perhaps the military doing some secret programs?

The budget for black operations is in the billions if not unlimited and with no checks and balances on what they are doing with all the money so who knows.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Maybe its caused by a gravity wave of some sort.

SMR

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Thanks for that link Howard

I can see how that would be option, but the only thing I cant see from reading, is anything on 'sound' Perhaps I missed it in the readings I did on gravity waves, but I couldnt see anything.Another thing that caught my eye while reading...

Thunderstorm updrafts will produce gravity waves as they try to punch into the tropopause. The tropopause represents a region of very stable air. This stable air combined with the upward momentum of a thunderstorm updraft (trigger mechanism) will generate gravity waves within the clouds trying to push into the tropopause.

I cant say for sure, but I cant recall any storm offshore or anywhere over the San Diego area that day.I am trying to find old weather scans to see what it was like that day.Again, would this make 'sound' as it passes through? I couldnt see anything like that either for this.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
probably they zapped a comet fragment with HAARP.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I live in southern VA and two years ago, in the span of just over a week, this same thing happened three times. It knocked clocks from my walls, disrupted the cable and for about fifteen minutes afterward, my dog stood motionless, looking towards the sky. On two of the three occasions, there was what sounded like an audible WHOOMing sound (dunno how else to spell it). I heard no aircraft or any other possible source, however, in following weeks there were quite a few low flying jets (looked like fighter jets of some kind) buzzing arouond Asking aorund about the odd shaking and assuming it was military aircraft flying low and breaking the sound barrier, I found that no one else had heard any aircraft either.

I always wondered what it was and just assumed that it WAS a sonic boom of some kind. Nice to hear some other theories.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Could it have been some super secret naval test fire of a rail gun?

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
You will not find any information about what I'm going to say, but "they" may be testing a device that uses sound to trigger earthquakes. Tests would normaly be run in the ocean just off the shore line.

[edit on 28-5-2006 by LAES YVAN]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Have any of you heard of a sonic bulllet? Could it be that the military is working on sonic defense systems? These weapens in theory can cause heart famiar, uncontrollable balve movements, and even death. In theory these defenses could even stop a entire advancing army. ???

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
About three or so years ago there was something like this as well. I live in Chattanooga, and there would be sudden "sonic boom" type occurences that could be heard in a very, vary large radius. The news said it was a new plane the military was testing (we are kinda close to Robins AFB) but I never saw a plane. Very odd, I wonder if it is all part of the same thing?

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
People for years in L.A. have been reporting "skyquakes" which has led to speculation about the Aurora. Its worth nothing that L.A. and sometimes San Diego are under the flightpaths used by Area 51 when testing the goods.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Did anyone hear the sonic boom from the Iranian jet yesterday?
It sounded kinda akward, but it missed the beginning and it's pretty hard to tell if it was just bad quality or not from hearing it once.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
What Iranian jet? Where do you live and what did you hear?

Does anyone know if a rail gun or gauss cannon would create a massive boom when fired from the projectile tearing thru the atmosphere?

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Anything going supersonic is going to leave a sonic boom as it flies. The "size" of the boom is going to depend on the shape of the object. Although technically a sonic boom is actually two booms. One as the front of an object goes supersonic, and one as the back does. They're just so close together that our ear hears it as one most of the time.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
My theory: invisible supersonic aircraft, invisible rockets? It may have something to do with a type of energy injector device or one source I found stated that it was the after effect of overlapping densities eg. dimensional shifts.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   
to quote the snippet of your source that caught my attention :

Originally posted by SMR

“My garage door is double steel and it weighs about 500 lbs. It was rattling back and forth like a leaf in the wind for about 3 or 4 seconds.”
– e-mail from University City resident on April 4 disturbance

taking that witnesses statement at face value -- it begs the question :

any force capable of moving a 500lb steel mass on its tracks would -- if it was an airborne shock wave - bowl over lawn furniture , rip clothes from the lines , topple dustbins etc etc etc

i dont want to throw conspiracists a bone -- because they will start screaming " evil HAARP " -- BUT -- if it only affected a steel door in the vicinity of the witnesses house -- could a magnetic effect be the cause ?

but - i would go for subterenean disturbance - even a VERY small quake could shake the foundation pillars that the door is mounted on - causing tne loosefitting door to shake

top topics

<<   2 >>

join