It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Does One Go About Joining A Secret Society?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
In general, how to people become members of secret societies? Do current members first examine strangers for their values, and then decide to invite them to join? Or can you go out of your way to join one of these organizations?

Primarilly I am talking about Masonry. From what I have read here, I'm unsure what to make of it. On one hand the Masons are saying how great it is, while the anti-Masons are saying that it is Satanic and hides a big secret, etc. But my curiosity is leaning me more towards wanting to see for myself. And anything that would give me a larger network of connections and benefits would be great.

I know for a fact that there are Masons in my city, because my neighbour has a Freemason bumper sticker. I have also personally been in a Knight's Templar hall that was rented out by my parent's friends for a big retirement banquet. So I know for a fact that Secret Societies are rampant in my city. My question is.... how do you go about approaching these people about joining? If you even can. Can you ask to join, or is it an "invitation only" sort of thing? I seem to meet the requirements of Masonry.

If I ask someone who is blatently a Mason with a bumper sticker and all, is he going to look me in the eye and deny it anyway?

Once you join, are you allowed to quit?

One final question.... do you have to be Scottish to join the Scottish Rite, or is it just a name?

Of course this is not just confined to Masonry. Any information anyone can share on how to obtain membership in ANY secret society would be welcomed. Of course, I understand if this is 'secret'

Hopefully it's not like the mafia thing where you have to save somebody's life or marry their daughter to become a part of it.

[edit on 7-3-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
My suggestion is that you check the phone directory and/or internet for your local lodge and simply request an application form. There's no test. Their acceptance of you is entirely discretionary.

Scottish Rite does not demand Scottish ancestry at all.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I can just walk into a lodge and get an application form?

......how very secret and sneaky.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   

while the anti-Masons are saying that it is Satanic

You don't actually believe that do you? The Catholic church spreaded that rumor because according to masons "Freemasonry Builds Its Temples in the Hearts of Men", and that the only everlasting temple is in the heart of man, wich goes directly against the Catholic Church's saying there is no temple of god except for the Catholic Church. Infact Masonry requires you to believe in a supreme being.

Masonic tenents include:

kindness in the home; honesty in business; courtesy toward others; dependability in one's work; compassion for the unfortunate; resistance to evil; help for the weak; concern for good government; support for public education; and above all, a life-practicing reverence for God and love of fellow man.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Do current members first examine strangers for their values, and then decide to invite them to join

Yes and no. First off you will not be asked to join the masons(mabey there are some exceptions) but it is required that you ask showing that it is your will. There are rumors (my friends) that say that you need to ask 3 times to join. My experience leads me to believe that this is true. And second of all they will do extensive research on you presumeably to prove that you are of good moral character.

If I ask someone who is blatently a Mason with a bumper sticker and all, is he going to look me in the eye and deny it anyway?

Probably not if he wanted to keep his masonry a secret he wouldn't have a damn sticker on his car. Right? So ask him, you shouldn't care what he thinks most masons are just as ignorant as you or I, and shouldn't have a superiority complex, and if they do then screw him he's just a no good SOB, not a representative of all masons. Chances are if you talk to enough masons atleast one will be friendly and invite you to tour the lodge where you can ask more questions, and ask for an application to join.

My question is.... how do you go about approaching these people about joining? If you even can

Well don't worry ask around. The masons are desperate for new members, in my state they even have commercials, where they direct you to their website Askafreemason.org. I think its only good for people in Massachusetts. But mabey there's a website in your state? I don't know, but if you really want to join the freemasons, if you ask around enough it is of my opinion that you can.

Good Luck(only if your worthy)

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 04:31 AM
link   
www.grandlodge.on.ca...

Ontario’s Grand Lodge website.

Ask your neighbor about masonry and then ask about getting a petition. No need to ask three times, only once. Also, Masons' can't invite or ask you to join, its against the code, you need to ask.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Membership is for men, 21 years of age or older, who meet the qualifications and standards of character and reputation, who are of good moral character, and who believe in the existence of a supreme being.

Agh, 21? There goes that idea. For some reason I thought I had read somewhere you only need to be 18. I guess I'll see again in a few years.

Okay so I looked on that website (Thanks Helios), and it says that there are SIX lodges in my city. But when I looked in the phone book, I only found one. Where are all the others hiding?

Edit: Upon some more searching, it appears multiple lodges share the same building.

[edit on 8-3-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   
To get into masonry, just ask any mason you already know (like your neighbor) for a patition. It would be better to first tell him that you are intrested and would like to find out more about the order. He can answer any questions that you would have, or direct you to a brother who can.

I've never met a brother who would deneigh his membership, what would be the point, especially if his car has a bumper sticker about it.

If you deceide to quit the easiest way is to get a "demit", basicly an I quit form. This way you leave in good standing, and if you should change your mind later you can come back with a miminum of hassel. The other way is to just walk away and not pay the dues, this results in being expelled. You can still be reinstated but its a bit more hassel.

The Scottish Rites are open to any and all Master Masons regardless of national origen, the "scottish" is only part of the name.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Well actually the neighbour has recently left. Apparently him and his wife are now divorced, and he moved out. I have no idea where he is, so that pretty much cuts off that option.

I have a few other people I suspect as being Masons, but I really don't want to go up to them and ask "ARE YOU A MASON?", unless I see them wearing a masonic ring or something equally as blatent. Because I'll look like a total idiot if they say no. Or even worse "What's a Mason?"

You need the modes of recognition to tell who's a Mason... but you don't get them until after you become one. Sigh.

[edit on 8-3-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin

You need the modes of recognition to tell who's a Mason... but you don't get them until after you become one. Sigh.

Actually, all you need is a Lodge membership card and a picture ID verifying who you are, e.g., a driver's license. If a man claims to be a Mason but cannot produce a membership card issued under his Lodge's seal, he's probably not really a Mason.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Yarcoffin, I can understand asking the question, but please, this is a conspiracy board.

Here is a good masonic discussion forum:
The Lodge Room Forum.

Infact, you can probably run into some of our ATS members there too, both masons and non-masons.

top topics

join