It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don Knotts dies at 81

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Don Knotts who played Barney Fife on "The Andy Grifftih Show" and a string of other inept characters in films and on television is dead at 81. Knotts was a gifted comic actor whose work with Andy Griffith in the sixties is some of the finest comedic work in television history.

Don Knotts, the skinny, lovable nerd who kept generations of television audiences laughing as bumbling Deputy Barney Fife on “The Andy Griffith Show,” has died. He was 81.

Knotts died Friday night of pulmonary and respiratory complications at a Los Angeles hospital, said Paul Ward, a spokesman for the cable network TV Land, which airs “The Andy Griffith Show,” and another Knotts hit, “Three’s Company.”

Unspecified health problems had forced him to cancel an appearance in his native Morgantown, W.Va., in August 2005.

www.msnbc.msn.com

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 2006/2/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Thanks Grady

What wonderful days those were when Mayberry rfd and Andy was on the tube.
Sadly we will never see innocence like that again. Don will certainly be missed by me.

Heaven will be heaven if I get to hang with the likes of Knotts, Winters, Allen, Bruce and so many other funny men that made me laugh.

[edit on 26-2-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I was just going to start this thread-- I only just now got the news, and I have to say I was very unpleasantly surprised.

Godspeed, Officer Fife... we hardly knew ye.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It's hard to see the old comics go like this. Comedy is very different today and say what you will about censorship, when comedians couldn't rely on cheap, blatant references to bodily functions and genitalia, they had to work harder for a laugh and the result was classic. Some of WC Fields best humor came from his doing his best to circumvent the censors, but Godfrey Daniel and Effingham Hufnagel are a long way from the flagrant crudity of today's humor.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Grady, you hit it on the head right there. Don Knotts came from a purer, more innocent age in America's history... the really sad part is that the appreciation of fine comics like Knotts and his contemporaries (Tim Conway comes to mind, as do the others you mention) is fading away just as fast as the old guard itself.

[edit on 26-2-2006 by The Parallelogram]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It seems wierd to me. He's one of my earliest memories, I would have thought he was older than 81. His comedy spanned decades, he was still great in Three's Company. RIP Don.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
First Rodney Dangerfield, then Richard Pryor...now Don Knotts...it is truely a sad and cruel world in comedyville.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
RIP Don, he was a favorite of mine as a child. He lived a full life, one would think.

new topics

top topics

join