It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I tell someone they did a good job?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
In a heated thread that I may be reading.
Even though I may not be researching it or looking into it.
Is there any way to give public applause?

Every time I say nice research or give a thumbs Up, I get grabbed for no topic or a 1 liner.....

Say...one of my favorites...Seekerof. does some crazy ass research and bring a horribly offtopic thread back in line....

I can't say "Nice Seekerof, way to bring it back in focus"?

And leave it at that?

I'm confused.

-DT

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
A u2u is always a nice way to go about it.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I think that would be considered a one-liner. But I usually just think of another line or two that's on-topic to add. My rule is that if I have nothing to say about the topic at hand, I don't post it.

But let's see what the mods have to say... Mods?

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
That's a good rule of thumb, BH.

You will get 1-liners for simple pats on the back, WTG posts.
Similarly, if you post only the text of a a WATS vote, you will get one, too.

If you also have something to say about the topic, then shoot and include your 'public applause' if you like.

Otherwise, a u2u goes a long way.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I think a quick u2u is always nice if you like someone's post but have nothing to add to the topic.

On the rare occasion I get them, they are always appreciated.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
but...a u2u is not public.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I'm the mod who has been discussing this issue With Derek Trance.

I understand as there's been plenty of times I couldn't think of a coherent thing to say in a thread. So, I u2u. You'd be surprised---it's a great way to get to know members better.
So, if you can't offering an opinion on the topic, or add something, your thoughts, etc. try a u2u sometimes.

Few of us have time to do research for the stuff we read, that is why many of us come to ATS, to read what others had time to find.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
this is actually a wierd situation I ended up in lol. I got grabbed for a 1 liner and a non topic for a kudos to someone posting. as In, I agree completely, nice research.

So my thought was, do I have to make someting up and "fake it" just to say I agree in public....

-DT

I've sent a ton od U2U's...but for a public kudos.....

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Why does it have to be public? Why is that an issue?

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Yep, DTOM, no offense intended or anything at all, I actually like most of your moderations, I just ran into a question that hasn't been answered that I can find.

-DT

(ooops, hit the wrong button, no edit was made
)

[edit on 7-2-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Give them a wats. Thats what I usually do. Isn't that why we have them?

Wupy

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Its simple.

Just say what you have to say about how good their post was, then

go to the next line and make a little comment on the weather or better yet,

just any comment about another post in the same thread.

These
help too!

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Derek Trance
Yep, DTOM, no offense intended or anything at all, I actually like most of your moderations, I just ran into a question that hasn't been answered that I can find.

No offense taken

And, thank you.

I, or another mod, or a member will be most happy to try to answer your question.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
...or you can forget about all that and just post really late at night...

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
no worries I guess, the "hammers" of Vlad kudos was about the pink floyd oppression "being" and I guess I could have said the Cult of the Dead cow is the main hackers in the US next to the LOD in a U2U.

It was just happiness.

-DT

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Loam, thats strange.

Most of my run-ins happen late at night.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
It's very rare that you'll find the board mod-less

When it happens though, the mess when we return isn't always nice. There have been several foodfights. 1-line posts are the least of our worries.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
night in what country?...lol....Just kidding mods.

-DT

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Hey what's up DT. Your question is a good one.

I'd say, post directly in the thread AND add a few comments of your own. I mean, everybody's got an opinion, so why not share yours? The reason you get dinged for one-line posts is because a person's avatar and tagline, etc all take up a lot of space in the threads, and nobody wants threads that go ten pages if they can go seven or six.

I've done this before, gave a shout out in a thread and then posted a short paragraph of my thoughts on the issue. Or even if you don't have an opinion, you can simply post what issues (about the topic) are most important for you.

The group wants to hear what you think, for sure, so just add a quick paragraph of your thoughts and your post then becomes a valuable part of the thread. Problem solved.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Thanks small, it's sort of hard to "clap" for someone around here, so I was looking for a good way to do it. I see a ton of "You have awarded so and so for an above", which are usually one liners anyways.I'll get it all out and just pay more attention to what I happen to type. thanks for the support.

-DT

top topics

<<   2 >>

join