It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sgt Gilliland - Longest confirmed kill in Iraq with a 7.62mm rifle; 1,250 meters!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf
How far was the initial shot from the Iraqi? If the American sniper was part of the casualties unit, then the Iraqi must have made a pretty good shot as well (1000m+ with a Draganov!). Or was the Yank sniper part of a supporting callsign, hence the long range?

It didn't say the Iraqi, wounded or killed an American sniper. What are you talking about ?

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   
If that soldier plays any FPS online games, he will pwn everyone he sees.

What an insane shot!

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

How far was the initial shot from the Iraqi? If the American sniper was part of the casualties unit, then the Iraqi must have made a pretty good shot as well (1000m+ with a Draganov!). Or was the Yank sniper part of a supporting callsign, hence the long range?

It didn't say the Iraqi, wounded or killed an American sniper. What are you talking about ?

If you read the entire article, it states that the American sniper shot the Iraqi just after the Iraqi shot and killed an American soldier. I didn't say he shot an American sniper, I said an American soldier.

[edit on 9-1-2006 by PaddyInf]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   

If you read the entire article, it states that the American sniper shot the Iraqi just after the Iraqi shot and killed an American soldier. I didn't say he shot an American sniper, I said an American soldier.

The article states that the insurgent shot an American soldier which this sniper found out was his buddy. Doesnt say where the American soldier was shot at. But it sure wasnt with the American sniper at the time. Possibly after the shot fired by the insurgent, the American sniper located the sniper and fired back. Its possible that the American sniper team was somewhere else and was informed that an American patrol was fired on close to where the American sniper team was, and that they believed it was coming from the hospital, so the American sniper decided to hunt him down. And after the action, he found out that a buddy of his was killed from that patrol. Thats my assumption.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Bravo to the sarge...Speaking of jobs, he can/could name his price to be a sniper trainer.Bless all our troops

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

The article states that the insurgent shot an American soldier which this sniper found out was his buddy. Doesnt say where the American soldier was shot at. But it sure wasnt with the American sniper at the time. Possibly after the shot fired by the insurgent, the American sniper located the sniper and fired back. Its possible that the American sniper team was somewhere else and was informed that an American patrol was fired on close to where the American sniper team was, and that they believed it was coming from the hospital, so the American sniper decided to hunt him down. And after the action, he found out that a buddy of his was killed from that patrol. Thats my assumption.

Agreed, that was my assumption as well. I was just wondering if there was any clear indication as to the accuracy of this assumption. One thing is for sure, that yank put one fantastic round down range. Well done mate. You deserve all the credit you get.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Actually the photo you posted was not the long barrel version used, in actuality you posted a photo of a guy with an RPK, which is the Russian Squad Automatic Weapon much like the US Military SAW. The RPK is the same as the shorter AK in most all ways, with the exception of the 20 inch heavy barrel, and the rear sight is adjustable. I have seen the longer barrel you speak of, but I believe they are a variation of the Yugoslavian M70 series. At least all photos of this I have seen has been the Yugo models made by Zastava, that were imported under Saddam.

It is possible as well that they could be converting RPKs for the same use, as they have the longer heavy barrel, but so far I have only seen the Yugos in photos. The concept though of the "longer barrel AK" has been around a while starting with the RPK, chambered in 7.62, that you have in the photo, and then retooled for the 5.45 with the introduction of the AK74.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
in the book-trigger men-you get the whole story-from the shooter-i think it goes something like, he was warning his buddy, or buddies on the rooftop of a building he could see from his viewpoint, that they better keep their heada down because they were on the rooftops casually keeping their heads high...it was radioed to the Sgt that they were being fired upon and gave the position of where the insurgent sniper was, and then the Sgt. took his shot with his spotter a little late on the call, but the Sgt. still made the shot and scored the hit. he was later informed that his buddy was in fact the one who was shot for keeping his head too high on the roof top.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
These accounts stir mixed feelings in me. My first thought here is, incredible shot, amazing reaction under pressure, but it agitates me that I admire the man, you know? I am a pacifist at heart, but I've always been fascinated by the military and what people are capable of in extreme situations. I have the utmost respect for those who serve. My bookcase has military history books stacked next to the spiritual stuff. I'm complicated...guess we all are.

Anyway, that is quite a feat. Twelve foot adjustment? Wow. Is anyone familiar with Simo Hayha? He fought in the Russo-Finn war and is still considered the most successful sniper, I believe. He averaged 5 kills a day, but retired peacefully to his farm after the war. Humans are resilient.

[edit on 28-11-2008 by Nox Vulpes]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
He probably used a M14 or a M23 to make a shot like that. That is an amazing feet to say the least and I quite impressed. I have never practiced shooting my M1A like that because well its kind of expensive to say the least. I do have the scope or one of the ones He used which is more than likely a Leupold MK4. What some people don't realize is that was an amazing shot and more than likely it was done outside of the scopes view considering You only get a 4 foot area of zoom when zoomed in all the way.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
THIS ARTICLE IS EITHER PROPOGANDA OR A HOAX..!!!!!

Originally posted by skippytjc

This guy had to aim 12 feet high, one in a million shot. And the best part about this? The target just sniped an American a moment earlier. I have a feeling he wont lose any sleep over this kill.

Way to go Sgt. Gilliland!!

telegraph

Gazing through the telescopic sight of his M24 rifle, Staff Sgt Jim Gilliland, leader of Shadow sniper team, fixed his eye on the Iraqi insurgent who had just killed an American soldier.

His quarry stood nonchalantly in the fourth-floor bay window of a hospital in battle-torn Ramadi, still clasping a long-barrelled Kalashnikov. Instinctively allowing for wind speed and bullet drop, Shadow's commander aimed 12 feet high.

Click to enlarge
A single shot hit the Iraqi in the chest and killed him instantly. It had been fired from a range of 1,250 metres, well beyond the capacity of the powerful Leupold sight, accurate to 1,000 metres.

I hate to be mean but those numbers are way off so I call BS on this article.

PROOF

7.62x51 NATO Bulltet Ballistics

I have shot many rounds ou of my tactical 7.62 and the drop is bad enough at just 1000 meters. At 1000 meters the bullet drops over 33 FEET.

At that range the energy is crap and probably not very deadly unless you get the head shot.

Add another 250 meters and the quadratic takes even more of a logarithmic drop in both Energy and Trajectory.

Bullet drop is a curve that turns down more aggresively the slower the bullet gets.

[edit on 28-11-2008 by LeaderOfProgress]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Wow, that kind of skill will serve him greatly when he becomes a private citizen once again. This guy's a better shot than Charles Whitman.

Perhaps so. Perhaps not. (I understand your comparison)

I find it distressing that anyone is glamorizing the exploits of a sniper in what is clearly an illegal war, started by *clearly criminal* politicians, being paid for in American and Iraqi blood.

Who knows what the future will bring for this warrior. Maybe he will continue to serve Washington, maybe he will serve political enforcement (aka "law" enforcement), just maybe he will decide to support our patriots trying to preserve a Constitutional Republic.

Only time will tell......

[edit on 11/28/2008 by anonymousATS]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I think that his M24 would have to be zero'd at 800 to 900 meters for the drop stated. Looks to be about 4.5 mils of hold over with a 900 meter zero. Velocity should be ~900 to 1000 fps at that range. Energy looks to be about like a 38 special +p. If this was a first round hit it was a very impressive shot.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
That was definitely one hell of a good shot. Along the same lines, there was a Canadian sniper team in Afghanistan who apparently have the "world record" kill shot (a rather distasteful though nonetheless damn impressive record to hold IMO), measured by laser rangerfinder to be 2,430 meters (nearly 2.5 kilometers). This was achieved with a .50 Caliber McMillan bolt-action sniper rifle firing US-made ammunition. Apparently, the standard .50cal ammo supplied by the Canadian government lacks the range to "reach out and touch someone" beyond 2300 meters, so the sniper teams buy their bullets from the US of A instead.

The kill, one of more than 20 unofficially accredited to Canadian snipers during Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan's Shah-i-Kot Valley, beat the 35-year-old record of 2,500 yards, or 2,250 metres, set by U.S. Marine Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock in Duc Pho, South Vietnam.

Here is a link to the full article. www.snipercountry.com...

Interestingly, the day before the 2,430 meter "world record" shot, another Canadian sniper team beat Gunny Hathcock's record as well, making a confirmed kill from a range of 2310 meters. Shooting ACROSS a valley from an altitude of 8500 feet ASL, they engaged and killed a Taliban target that was 500 feet higher up (9000 feet ASL) on the opposite cliff.

Also whenever you are talking about long-range sniping, a significant amount of credit has to go to the man behind the spotting scope as well, because the relevant data that he feeds to or confirms for the shooter before the trigger is pulled (distance, windage, atmospheric pressure, slant range, etc) is absolutely vital for scoring a "good kill" at that kind of range. There is certainly a degree of luck involved as well (good luck for the shooter and bad luck for the target).

Cheers gang!

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
[edit on 28-11-2008 by WestPoint23]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Good morning.

I dont think it to be a hoax. I believe the M24 comes in .300 also maybe that was used. Also with a bullet drop compensated mil-dot scope, I think the wind would be the biggest factor. I dont know if the army hand makes the M24 like the M40 series, but if they do we're talking usually 1/2 MOA rifles, even though 1moa is max accepted. The .50's only the newer rifles can be considered sniper rifle, which must shoot 1MOA min. to qualify. The Barrett M82A1 SASR ( special applications scoped rifle) isnt sniper quality.Also as said a quality spotter can negate all factors in flight path, and this is what these guys do. And the other statement was correct about Eod using the barrett for mine disposal and vehicles, the rifle does great in that role.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I hate to be mean but those numbers are way off so I call BS on this article.

PROOF

7.62x51 NATO Bulltet Ballistics

I have shot many rounds ou of my tactical 7.62 and the drop is bad enough at just 1000 meters. At 1000 meters the bullet drops over 33 FEET.

At that range the energy is crap and probably not very deadly unless you get the head shot.

Add another 250 meters and the quadratic takes even more of a logarithmic drop in both Energy and Trajectory.

Bullet drop is a curve that turns down more aggresively the slower the bullet gets.

[edit on 28-11-2008 by LeaderOfProgress]

For all the experience you claim, i would expect better proof. That link takes me to ballistics for a 168 grain bullet. I'm pretty sure, it is not the one used. I would venture to say the round used would have been 175gr and not the Nato Match. And having first hand experience at being trained to be a Marine rifleman, I believe that shot was as stated. The SSgt made his shot and you just show your ignorance by calling it BS.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by Flash57]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join