It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sgt Gilliland - Longest confirmed kill in Iraq with a 7.62mm rifle; 1,250 meters!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This guy had to aim 12 feet high, one in a million shot. And the best part about this? The target just sniped an American a moment earlier. I have a feeling he wont lose any sleep over this kill.

Way to go Sgt. Gilliland!!

telegraph

Gazing through the telescopic sight of his M24 rifle, Staff Sgt Jim Gilliland, leader of Shadow sniper team, fixed his eye on the Iraqi insurgent who had just killed an American soldier.

His quarry stood nonchalantly in the fourth-floor bay window of a hospital in battle-torn Ramadi, still clasping a long-barrelled Kalashnikov. Instinctively allowing for wind speed and bullet drop, Shadow's commander aimed 12 feet high.

Click to enlarge
A single shot hit the Iraqi in the chest and killed him instantly. It had been fired from a range of 1,250 metres, well beyond the capacity of the powerful Leupold sight, accurate to 1,000 metres.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I know we need to be carefull of this, but I need to highlight this quote from the story:

"It was elating, but only afterwards," said Staff Sgt Gilliland, recalling the September 27 shot. "At the time, there was no high-fiving. You've got troops under fire, taking casualties and you're not thinking about anything other than finding a target and putting it down. Every shot is for the betterment of our cause."

Heros, each and every one of them...

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I doubt it was an AK weapon since the article mentions an AK with a long barrel...thats more like the Dragunov sniper rifle. Snipers are more effective against the IED teams then just plain bombing. Good job for the sniper teams.

[edit on 3-1-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
I doubt it was an AK weapon since the article mentions an AK with a long barrel...thats more like the Dragunov sniper rifle. Snipers are more effective against the IED teams then just plain bombing. Good job for the sniper teams.

Actually, there are long barrled type AK weapons being used that are not Dragunov sniper rifles.

On the flip side, a very short barreled AK:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Great shooting. I'm curious though, do US snipers prefer 7.62 over .50 ?

This shows just how incredible Carlos Hathcock's 7.62mm kill at 1920 meters in Vietnam.

[edit on 4-1-2006 by mad scientist]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
The 50s are used primarily as anti-vehicle weapons rather than anti-personnel. They use the M24, M25, M40A1/A3 for anti-personnel weapons. IIRC all the anti-personnel are 7.62.

[edit on 1/4/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
And they say rap music glories violence.

Just kidding, dont go ape on me folks.

That is a pretty amazing feat.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
hummm

NS

that guy needs a cold 6 pack

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
That is a bloody brilliant shot.

Damn, that woulda been hard, I mean when I shoot, i struggle at 250m - and that's at a paper target....

Nice Shot, Sarge

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
one word to the guy that got shot..............PWNED!

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Quite an amazing shot!

Originally posted by skippytjc
The target just sniped an American a moment earlier. I have a feeling he wont lose any sleep over this kill.

But don't you think he will lose sleep because he was a moment too late?

Sorry, i'm nitpicking..

- Attero

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
What a great shot. And I'm pretty sure it was a dragunov that was used.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Midav
Actually, there are long barrled type AK weapons being used that are not Dragunov sniper rifles.

Yeah thats true. Your pics show the RPKs. But it seems to me that the insurgents use sniper rifles to compensate for their ability to not able to hit or even kill American soldiers with body armor since they mostly do spray and pray crap. Thanks for reminding me about other long barrel weapons similar to AKs.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Midav

Originally posted by deltaboy

On the flip side, a very short barreled AK:

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Wow, that kind of skill will serve him greatly when he becomes a private citizen once again. This guy's a better shot than Charles Whitman.

Peace

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Im just trying to figure out what job as a private citizen he could do...apart from the obvious Law Enforcement/SWAT roles which im sure could find a position for a man of his abilities...

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Let's see...steady hands, skill, patience, intuition. Maybe he could be a really good surgeon. There are lots of good jobs for people of this nature. Shooting a weapon isn't his skill, just one of the ways he can use them.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Wow, that kind of skill will serve him greatly when he becomes a private citizen once again. This guy's a better shot than Charles Whitman.

Peace

Of course by the great Dr's wisdom, he will climb to the top of a tower and start shooting people randomly and with absolute lethal accuracy. But of course, thats how some people think...What a dark mindset to have, Im happy I dont know the feeling...

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
Let's see...steady hands, skill, patience, intuition. Maybe he could be a really good surgeon. There are lots of good jobs for people of this nature. Shooting a weapon isn't his skill, just one of the ways he can use them.

He could train anyone, he could train HRT and FBI counter-sniper teams, he could consult with the SEALS, he could open and run a gun range, he could work for a number of gun or bullet companies, he could go into competition shooting and earn winnings and or sponser various related products from gun cases to optics.

When you think about it...there is a lot he can do as a civilian.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   
How far was the initial shot from the Iraqi? If the American sniper was part of the casualties unit, then the Iraqi must have made a pretty good shot as well (1000m+ with a Draganov!). Or was the Yank sniper part of a supporting callsign, hence the long range?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join