It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poveglia in venice (haunted Island)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

I hope you enjoy them, Asala. ;-)
I have all of them; my favourite is "VeneziaEnigma" (a gorgeous book in black& white & silver) - but I am not sure whether it's been translated into English yet.

Some stories are gruesome, other tenderly endearing.
You can find some of them here:

Venetian Legends

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Been having a read and im hooked on it even more so now!! lol,

The whole of venice is full of amazing storys like this,

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

You mean you have read Alberto's books?
Great!
I am glad - because I KNOW you had a good time.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by rockstaranya

Unfortunately, after that first visit Anya never returned.

But (being the bloodhound I am) I managed to find the second and final part of the blog.

Enjoy.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Wow 160,000 deaths!? I am sure there will be some strange happenings :eek:

The blog is a nice read with eerie pics, anyone looked at that "ghost pic" snapped?

Would go there without thinking twice, nice find!

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by qonone

Personally, I don't think the figure is a "ghost".
Obviously, I don't know he is, but he might be one of the people who have vineyards and orchards on the north side of the island. Or perhaps one of the people involved with the renovation project.
And the sea was probably choppy, so it's no wonder that he looks "blurry".

I also have other misgivings about the stories circulated about Poveglia in the English-speaking part of the internet... but that's a a different story. :-)

By the way, I have noticed that people are often under the impression that Venice "must" be a very haunted city.
Well... it may be, but you could never tell.

In my experience - and I have visited it many times (no less than 20 times) - it is certainly a very "atmospheric" town, but ghosts seem to avoid the Venetians. And with good reason.

(But that, too, is a different story... :-)

Sure, there are stories. (And I already mentioned the best books that cover most of them.)
What I am saying is, those stories are surprisingly scarce considering the age of the city and its murky history.
Besides, some of those stories are decidedly tongue-in-cheek. :-)

[edit on 7-6-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I have been there, it is not a place you want to go, every night i was there i was tormented by he screams of the tormented spirits of the hospital, i didnt even dare to go near the bell tower, my friend now is faced with extreme paranoia because of this evil island, i my self confroted a demon while out side the hospital, i now do not have a right index 4th finger. Dont go there it is not a joke.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Thank you for your commets Anon,

sounds like an interesting experience you had there,

Did you manage to snap any pics?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I agree: it's not a place where one would particularly WANT to go.

Why did you go?

Were you camping there?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
You can go but they tell you NOT too because a doctor who had gone mad killed people you can still see the remains of there skulls on the island\\ Kayla

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I just saw the "Scariest Places on Earth" episode this week (must have been a rerun) in which a family was sent to Poveglia Island "Island of No Return" for an overnight visit. I've been trying to find out whether the show is faked or not -- if the island is not open to visitors, then did they get some sort of special permission to use the island for their reality show? If so, why wasn't it heavily publicized? If someone DID actually get permission to stay over there and film it for TV, I sure wish it had been "TAPS" from The Ghost Hunters instead -- I would love to see some real scientific evidence, which you can't get from those dopey cams the SCOP participants wear, pointed up at their own faces.... !

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
wow ive always wanted to go to italy and maybe i will one of these days i will, but when i heard about the island poveglia it was wierd and interesting they say when u go there u might not return back i seen a story on si-fi that a family went there and they had been split up but with people that have known the place for a long time, but they made it back to there original hometown i would love to visit poveglia but not until wat i see wats up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Not watched it myself yet. Think I'll wait until my mum is awake and ummm watch it while shes in the room.... because you know ummm... swamp gas yeah... that works for the government. LOL

Enjoy some of the other Youtube Related videos too!!

EDIT: to add the other links to the full show

[edit on 5-7-2008 by RenegadePsycho]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I am one all for investigating the paranormal. You may find some things very interesting. This in my opinion ranks right up there at the top like a Stephen King novel. It may be more interesting than some can handle though; others it might be over the top for. I did not know of Poveglia until I was watching a program "The Scariest Places on Earth" on the Sci-Fi Channel. It made me think about Nostradomus and the time that his wife passed; there was a plague going on at the time, when he was traveling to Venice then made it his home. (I may not have this right, for programs that I watch at 2-3-4 oclock in the morning) I think the story is about the same as the plague that put all of those unfortunate souls on this island.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by adoggonemad

Apparently the ppl of Venice are very superstitious. Most residents believe in the supernatural, and feel that its best to leave the restless spirits alone. Some believe to disturb them is to bring ultimate sorrow upon yourself and that if you are a happy person and you love life, Poveglia isnt somewhere you would want to visit, unless you desire to be saturated with sadness and darkness. Especially if you are not a bleiever, to visit the island would be like laughing in the face of the spirits that dwell there, and they would only harm you.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The sci fi channel has a show call scariest places on earth where they sent a family to poveglia and made them stay there all night it pretty funny to watch every one freck out and thank they see things.

July 9, 2008

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I also saw that same episode on "Scariest places on Earth". While i do believe the Island to be haunted, i love and hate that show at the same time. In that episode there were many things that happened but you couldnt tell what was what cause they have so many scary sounds to play it up and the participants are always screaming (god i hate that). Hopefully Ghost Hunters International will go there and see whats what.

Scariest Places on Earth also did an episode on the haunted Italian Monestary called Lucedio.....Ghost Hunters International went there and found some intersting things and deemed it haunted as i remember

[edit on 7/10/2008 by Frank Black]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to inquarry

Maybe if they let tourist there. The Ghosts would Leave. Cause Lets Face it.
Tourist are even more Frighting. Local Resident Maui,HI

post by adoggonemad

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I would never let turists go there, I was there 8 years ago, with a sensitive (i myself is a sensitive, or believe so) as we walked up to the building we got a real strong feeling that we were being watch and followed. As we got to the buildings at the entrance, we heard something sounded like voices whispering just it could be the wind, so we went inside, nothing happened until with got to the doktors lab, there were still brains in jars, a really twisted man this doktor.
we began to take some readings, and all the sudden my friend started stare into one of the corners in the lab. Then i felt something moving around the room, and i got really afraid and we decided it was time to leave. On our way out we got so scared we ran down to the boat and sailed away. There is something there and it's aggressive

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
reply to inquarry

Maybe if they let tourist there. The Ghosts would Leave. Cause Lets Face it.
Tourist are even more Frighting. Local Resident Maui,HI

Without tourists Venice would be long dead and buried now.
Even the most reticent Venetians know that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join