It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do when your told Oil and Gas isn't available?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
No oil or gas = no food or electricity.

Run like hell to the hills the cities will become war zones.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Being already away from the city, I suppose it would be somewhat easier to adjust. Not easy mind you, just easier.

I remember the blizzard of DC when there was nothing left on the shelves in a matter of hours. Yes, that is scary. And would get scarier when one would not know the date of the next delivery.

Here I already have a garden and riverfront property. I think tribal living would become commonplace even if it meant neighbors helping neighbors.

At some point there would be civil unrest which always leads to uprisings against government. Maybe we would experience a cleansing of government.

Horse and buggy seem fine for transporation. Better miles per gallon and cheaper than a hummer, right?

Adaptation is the key. Of course knowing the American expectation is always more, bigger, faster, and more more I know Americans would be the least likely to be adaptable.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Short answer but a good straight forward answer too. I agree.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

Short answer but a good straight forward answer too. I agree.

Dallas

maybe u havent notice since there is no food. human cannabalism would come up and u people running to the hills would be acting like cattle to the cannibals.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

maybe u havent notice since there is no food. human cannabalism would come up and u people running to the hills would be acting like cattle to the cannibals.

That's assuming they are unarmed luddites, waited too long to escape, the hills suddenly sprout magic cannibals, food runs out in an instant, and they forgot how to drive.

Worry about the bears eating your rations.

Even the worst people don't gravitate towards cannibalism till the last resort.
i.e. Alferd Packer

New Orleans disaster is a good contemporary example.
See any cannibals there?

[edit on 9-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
See any cannibals there?

[edit on 8-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

Just baseless rumors...

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
well wheni think about it more i doubt that very many people will be able to live off the land

it is all well and good knowing how to survive when u go bush, but u gotter remember you arnt the only one

i think that there is a lot of people who would have basic skills, and that is all u need.

what is going to happen when 100 million people leave the cities in the us thinking they can go into the bush and live in the wild?

the place will get flatterned, and all the food will go very fast.

as for farms they are largly specilized, as in all the farms in soutern *random state* will make corn, all the ones north silver beets.

it would take an efort to get them to make a variety, and the u gotta have access to the seeds and such to divesify it.

to go back to preindustrial methods, such as horse and buggy, is going to require a gell of a lot of people to die out so that there is the right number for the land to support

really i dont think it will matter if you have the skills or not, what will matter is if you can get food and shelter

the people who can get food and shelter are the ones with guns

survival of the fitest

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I think it would be great if there was no oil or technology for that matter. But it sounds to good to be true, people are run by machines now a days (cars, heat, computers.....ect)

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
I think the more appropriate question is what would you do if a gallon of milk was 15 dollars? Or if there simply wasn't any food at the market. That is the real threat of a severe shortage IMO.

I think we would all learn at that point why the Hindu's have been calling the cow a Holy creature all these years.

You can plow the feilds with them... you get fresh milk from them... free fertilizer... burn the patties for fuel...

Personally, I heat my home and my water by wood burning stove and passive solar. I have 3 months of grain and dried beans in glass containers. I make my living as a carpenter for customers within a mile of my home, religiously using hand tools.

When the day comes... it will be a small speed bump. I spend my life living as if that day is already here, because I know in my heart it is.

Jah love,

Sri Oracle

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Electricity is produced by all sorts of ways; as long as there's electricity, they'll be civilization.
The nukes aren't turning off tomorrow, and hydro will be OK for most seasons.

Oil will be expensive and in short supply. What will happen is that there will be nationalization and rationing. Air conditioning, except for the sick and elderly, will be illegal.

Food and medical delivery will take priority.

Guards will ride shotgun---literally---on all trucks to grocery stores.

Starvation won't come from oil shortages, it can only come from war.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I already get my electricity from windmills. I use a bicycle to toodle around the neighborhood. I have a grocery store across the street, a pharmacy about 1/2 a block away, and a mall right next to me.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I'd use the last gallon of gas in my car to get to the reservation, carrying in it whatever useful tools I have, to start living a normal human existance.

I'd help in the laying of better relationships with the Mennonite communities which surround it, since the groundwork for that relationship is already begun, it should be easy. These people know how to work the land in the old way and I respect that.

I would sit back with my family and wait for the carnage in the cities to subside and begin assimilating the survivors into a balanced lifestyle with the environment, growing crops for food, not profit. Hunting game for food, not sport. Learning the old ways of medicines and food preservation.

I'd listen to the growing flocks of geese without worrying about spoiled putting greens on golf courses.

I'd open the floodgates of dams, so spawning fish can reach the beds of their desire.

I'd drop kick this computer and tell children the myths and legends of all the cultures I've studied instead.

I'd bury every Bible, Koran or any other book of religion I found as deep as I could.

I'd die a happy man, knowing future generations will breathe fresh air, drink clean water from lakes, grow corn and grains whose seeds not only sustain us, but make next years crops as well.

Hmmm...why wait?

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Last winter it, in my area, it got as low as 8 degrees F. (better than a lot of places)

I had no heater

Boy that sucked lol

So I strapped up in jackets, electric blankets, and pretty much slept that way until I went to work. Luckily pipes didnt freeze, except for once.

Most of the time it stayed around 40 degrees in the house, but im better prepared for this winter.

If I were told Oil and Gas weren't available then I would sit at home and stare at the walls thinking really hard. I know the day is coming eventually. I'm not prepared for it but atleast I have the knowledge beforehand and wont be as schocked as most people.

Our best hope is that this happens slowly and allows us to adapt. If there was any good news to come out of the latest price spikes it could have been awareness on how vulnerable we are but all I seemed to detect were people shouting "price gouging!!".

Oil got down to some pretty low numbers recently. Down in the $63 range. It was $66-$68 pre-Katrina... But a report came out showing lower inventories and it shot back up over $65.

Matthew Simmons is almost certain this winter will be one to remember due to oil prices. He has an interesting interview here.

edge.channel4.com...

In a recent radio interview he said that this winter demand could easily outstrip supply by 2 to 4 mpd and could send prices 5 to 10 times higher. I'm no expert but I dont think we will see that happening this winter. I predict the $90-$100 range.

Check out the latest, just got from theoildrum.com

Oil may average $84 a barrel next year, $93 in 2007, and $100 in the fourth quarter of 2007, as demand outpaces supply, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce's chief economist said, jumping ahead of other analysts who are trying to catch up with surging prices.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I would possibly ask certain segments of society didn't they realize and were told this was going to happen? Of course, we should know what that segment is.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
...well ,there are lots of things one should prepare for before a crisis ,but how long do you think we have got left until the petrol's all used up .
I think there'll be a period after that in wich those who have fuel reserves will still be using their cars and dealing petrol at verry high prices..

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join