It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do when your told Oil and Gas isn't available?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   
So now your faced with no Gas or Oil in 5 days, what would be your means of survival for heat, cooking and transportation?

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   
WooHoo!!
We have 6 bikes in our household of 2, and a bike trailer.

I'll get fit, thats all

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Great reply you must be an Oil man -- dunno seems the subject is real - for the next generation there netChicken.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   
For decades the main mode of transportation in China was the bycicle, so NC has a point.

You will be surprised just how much cargo you can actually carry on a bike that is built for loads.

Without Gasoline we'd all have to get in shape. In fact I'm doing so right now just in case.

Also just because we don't have the fuel to drive our cars, certain places(like Ontario) will still have electricity due to our energy mixture.(Nuclear/Hydro/and soon to be wind,solar,etc etc) So this could be a huge market opportunity for Electric motors for bycicles
Lithium batteries are getting bigger and bigger and this potential energy crises could cause Humanity to adapt quickly. We all know what we are capable of....

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Well bikes and walking shoes sound pretty good, but what about the trucks that haul food to the grocery stores, and all the other things that would totally fall apart when the gas stopped flowing? I think the more appropriate question is what would you do if a gallon of milk was 15 dollars? Or if there simply wasn't any food at the market. That is the real threat of a severe shortage IMO.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Thanks for that. O.K., we should also consider what the plastic is made for battery casings, cartons and many other - on the side things including smelting and injection of containers for use in household items. Not to mention household heat.

Dallas

[edit on 7-9-2005 by Dallas]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas
Thanks for that. O.K., we should also consider what the plastic is made for battery casings, cartons and many other - on the side things including smelting and injection of containers for use in household items. Not to mention household heat.

Dallas

[edit on 7-9-2005 by Dallas]

Plastics can be replaced by Bioplastics. Synthetic Lubricant's for bycicles exist, they are pricey but we can adapt. It isn't the end of the world, just our way of life. I'm just throwing suggestions out.

In places where they have sane energy mixtures(like Ontario) we may run out of heating oil, there is something called electric heating
Yes we may have to enact energy rationing like during some summers, and I believe if such an occurance should happen neighborhoods will start banding together to survive.

twitchy, you survive anyway you can at that point. I would get a gun if I wuz you.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Here are some essential items any survivalist needs in
order to survive the breakdown of society as we know it.
Emergency Thermal Blanket

Emergency Rations

Looks Apetitizing

Lightweight Tents
www.amazon.com...

www.mec.ca...

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Takes fuel to make this, not hot water. And even Hot Water what do you heat the water with?, were pretty much running low on sticks already.

Suggest we take a minute to consider what fuels what production of most anykind of MFG.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Well, if it's in northern Japan in the middle of winter, I'd be pretty much SOL. Kerosene comes in pretty handy when it's -20C outside with a meter or 2 of snow...

Guess I, along with a whole bunch of other folks'd be making one heckuva migration south.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

Takes fuel to make this, not hot water. And even Hot Water what do you heat the water with?, were pretty much running low on sticks already.

Suggest we take a minute to consider what fuels what production of most anykind of MFG.

Dallas

Buy it while you still can

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
it wouldnt be that big of a problem for me, straight away at least
at my olds house we got plenty of rabbits, fish, vegies, an orchard and stuff
currently we only use a wood fire there, and if you know how to look for it you can find an abundence of this to burn

but i also live in a place (southern victoria)where it very raerly drops below zero, so i would be fine,

the comment about guns? we also have them

so you guys all have fun when this stuff happens, i will be #ing pretty

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I personally think this current shortage is temporary btw. Been watching the Oil Futures and it's heading down, at 65 bucks now. Have not heard any reports of Gas shortages anywhere north of New Jersey and that was just one unconfirmed report.

This disaster might even delay Peak Oil by a few months, not really enough extra time but it's a bit more then we had before every little bit helps.

The environment is the single biggest wildcard keep that in mind.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Think maybe the disaster's coming sooner than later. If not a straight and deliberate shortage then prices that will surely short sell GM/FORD/CHRs SUVs which will help deteriorate the economy.

But our thought here on this thread is what will you do with five days notice of NO further Gas or Oil?

Dallas

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   

But our thought here on this thread is what will you do with five days notice of NO further Gas or Oil?

Horde and flee the city towards arable land with whatever survival supplies you have got. If not capable of leaving the city, band together with neighbors and live day by day. Go Tribal.

Co-operation is the only way to survive such a calamity.

It's really something that can only be prepared for in the long term, 5 days notice isn't nearly enough time to organize anything of substance. Lot's of people will die if the supplies are not rationed and the Gov't doesn't step in to make sure Food Trucks get the fuel they need.

My motto is assume it's far away but prepare as if it's gonna happen soon. I'll be on that mode until our economy isn't dependant on Oil anymore.

If it happens there is never a guarentee in these doomsday scenarios, we've lucked out before but not counting on it

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Well, for personal use, walking and biking have been mentioned. For everything else, we can go back to horse-drawn wagons and buggies. I mean, the world needs to slow down and catch its breath anyway.

Grow everything local, so that big cities are serviced by local farms. (ie. if you're in North Dakota, you won't be eating oranges very often, etc.)

Fireplaces are nice and wearing an extra sweater never hurt anybody. It can't be healthy living in 70degree comfort all year long no matter what the weather's like outside, anyway.

As for plastics and other oil-based products, I can't think of many things which I would consider essential, or that can't be replaced with something else.

Or we would could just acquire control of the remaining reserves of oil and then after selling it all at incredible prices as demand soars past supply, we'll have a whole lot of paper to burn to keep warm.

Of course, if this all sounds too farfetched we could always search out alternative energies and fuels.

[edit on 7-9-2005 by quango]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
WooHoo!!
We have 6 bikes in our household of 2, and a bike trailer.

I'll get fit, thats all

Hey when I was growing up in my littler Island walking was the best transportation of all.

People were trim and fix without fancy diets and fancy workout gyms.

Hart and other modern problems related with obesity were rare.

So if I am told that is not more gas and oil. . . I guess I will take some of those extra bikes
Netchicken

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Agree with you there but I don't know what the hell I'd do for sure? My family and friends and I'd be totally and I mean totally un-prepared for it.

For the first week or so it would, I suppose, just a little-major adjustment. After that I feel it will be total breakdown of spirit and food resources as all the neighborhood will exhaust the local stores.

Then, mayhap's defending my property and family with a gun when all I know is how to use a fishing rod. It gets worse after that..

Dallas

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Have you ever had your life threatened? I have a couple times, and I have felt the raw feeling of NEEDING to survive. It's very strong. That instinct will save your life if you let it. Knowledge is also very very good to have and also some of the supplies I listed above. Thermal Blankets deflect 80% of the heat you generate making it very toasty even in sub-zero temperatures. Get lots and lots of waterproof matches and lots of cheap bic lighters, invest in a good vacuum packer to protect vital survival tools from O2 degradation.

www.kk.org...

Two very good books on going "tribal" for survival.

Also being attatched to property could get you killed. You might need to become nomadic in order to survive.

[edit on 7-9-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Have you ever had your life threatened? I have a couple times, and I have felt the raw feeling of NEEDING to survive. It's very strong. That instinct will save your life if you let it. Knowledge is also very very good to have and also some of the supplies I listed above. Thermal Blankets deflect 80% of the heat you generate making it very toasty even in sub-zero temperatures. Get lots and lots of waterproof matches and lots of cheap bic lighters, invest in a good vacuum packer to protect vital survival tools from O2 degradation.

I totally agree with Sardion. For years, I have practiced with my children on using nature. We have several field guildes and survival books and regularly eat wild plants, trapping, make medicine from wild plants, make water and have water, food and supplies in ready mode. I will not be depending on no FEMA for help. IF an emergency like no oil or another type of disaster was to occur, my family and some friends families would be hitting the woods. One being a former special forces so we'd have it no worse than a third of the planet does now.

Problem is, no one knows how to live off the land anymore. This is especially troubling with your so-called "christians" who believe in a mark of the beast senerio - which could come about because of oil. They WILL take the mark because they won't know any other way.

Yeah, many are caught up in the day to day life of oil as the blood of the viens of how we live. Not knowing any other way, makes you dependent on this system. Right now, I do depend on oil, but there is a part of me that actually looks forward to using nature - I think that is where we are supposed to be.

I recommend getting books on survival, like the SAS survival guild, edible and medicinal plants, tribal living, food storage, ect.

It is not that rough if you know what to do, remember the settlers of this new land a couple hundren years ago. They would travel west with what they could take, find a good spot, and build a new life - from the land!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join