It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer=bad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Hi,

I would like to know if the computer does damage to my body if it is on all the day during school? Because my parent are buging me about that, they say I have to open the window so the air is pure WTF
I know well computer and I don't think its true but maybe im wrong.

So please if you know info about that please post

(Sorry if it is in the wrong forum because it still have something in health)

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Only damage im aware it can do is, Of course, Rob you of your life, and your screen can also damage your eyes.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have a window next to my computer that I constantly look out of so that I can readjust my eyes, Yes your eyes will deteriorate when you're looking at just one point of view for a long time.

so try to allow time for yourself to focus your eyes on something else.

^^Caution, Az is not an optometrist, Nothing in my post should be adhered to

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Computers can be quite harmful to your health along with almost all electronic devices I believe I read in the following article.
news.com.com...
Toxic dust may accumulate on pc's, tv's, radios, etc.

Then there is the threat of radiation exposure.
www.lhc.org.uk...

Last but not least is the possibility your computer is spying on you.
Just remember big brother may be watching and you never know what harm that may bring.
www.wired.com...

So in conclusion if you want to be completely safe, get away from all electronic devices, light bulbs, electricity etc. and go live on a farm away from the rest of society. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it. The air outside is often cleaner than the air inside though unless you live in a polluted area. The above is just my opinion though.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Nothing.

Every single thing in life gives you cancer, exposes you to radiation. Everything. Your computer is just another electronic device. Yes, maybe, in 500 years, you might notice some detrimental effects, but, so be it.

YOU ARE FINE.

As for clean air, yeah, it's better to have fresh air rather than the same stuck up air inside. SAD is no laughing matter.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Other than carpal tunnel syndrome (sp?) I am not aware of any adverse health effects arising from prolonged computer use. I've seen claims that it can harm the eyes if you stare at the screen too long. I don't know if that's true, but my eyes can get sore from staring at a screen too long, so I have to leave the computer for 5 minutes or so every once in awhile if I'm using it for a longer period of time.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
They can be addicting.

They can hurt your eyes. Try not to stare at white backgrounds. For instance type with white text on a black background (instead of black text on a white background) when possible. White is extremely bright and it's as if you are staring at a light bulb.

Turn off all lights in the room and anything that may emit light, except for your monitor and you'll see what i mean.

But I'm guessing the point is if any electormagnetic frequencies hurt you physically. Short answer: No.

[edit on 7-9-2005 by Thatoneguy]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
For pre-2004 computers(like mine) the Toxic Dust issue is real, heavy metals can hitch rides into the lining of your lungs.

Reading fine print can cause your eyes to go, reading books can do the same as well.

Small Radiation Risk, unless you're using an ungodly amount of WiFi in your room which just happens to be lined with aluminum. If not then you should be fine, the Sun is more dangerous then your Monitor, of course you CAN reduce this risk by going to a #ty LCD screen, but if yer a gamer then you don't wanna be doing that

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? I hope you mean from typing :-)
Nah a computer is fairly harmless compared to Flouride, so just print up a page or two of info on Flouride Poisoning and hand it to your parents and ask them if they remember the Swish Lady, then defend your computer usage with some comparitive reasoning.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Eyes, who needs 'em eh?

Anyway, if you use a laptop on your lap and your a bloke, it can fry your balls (true story honestly!) and can lead to infertility and testicle cancer.

Another thing I've noticed is that if you type properly, it can lead to artharitis (sp?) as you stretch your right hands little finger to hit enter and it can sometimes hurt.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mashup
Eyes, who needs 'em eh?

Anyway, if you use a laptop on your lap and your a bloke, it can fry your balls (true story honestly!) and can lead to infertility and testicle cancer.

What, you have proof that it led to testicular cancer?!

Show me - please, show me those articles!

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Repetitive Strain Injury.

home.clara.net...

Mostly found in males.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Thank you all guys

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
heh, repetitive strain injury especially relevant in males that use computers *gets mind out of gutter* Guess we're going to need to come up with a more ergonomic way of reducing that "repetitive stress"

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azza
... your eyes will deteriorate when you're looking at just one point of view for a long time...

i work in a dark recording studio in which i often sleep over. i sometimes go days without seeing the light of day or even anything further away than 5 meters. everything i do is on computers.

last time i had my eyes checked so i could get a new pair of glasses, the doc told me that this lifestyle would not effect my eyes and, in fact, my eyes have changed negligibly in many, many years.
daved

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I thought of one more safety hazard associated with computers. You could read a real long thread here on ATS, fall asleep without even noticing it, then suddenly fall out of your chair and hit your head resulting in a serious head wound. Lucky for me though, I woke up right before I almost fell and caught myself. I never realized reading information on the pc could be so dangerous.

hmmm, I need ATS on a large thin flat screen suspended over my bed with a sleep timer. Then I can watch tv, read ATS, and fall asleep without harming myself all at the same time. Oh I forgot, I would also need a holographic keyboard and/or mouse that automatically turned off with the sleep timer as well. Just thinking of ways to make pc's safe for everyone. That toxic dust would need to be eliminated as well, I don't need it falling on me while I sleep.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Sorry Tinkleflower, I can't find the original article but I do have something similar here: Laptops causing problems

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Yeah, we've known about "warm things bad for sperm production".

I was just incredibly curious as to the alleged cancer link; I've never heard of this, and I'm now (probably overly...lol) curious!

I'll search.

As ever, if I find anything, I'll report back

top topics

join