It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It really isn't this way, why does the media report it this way?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
According to drudge these are some of the top stories

KANYE WEST ON NBC FUNDRAISER: 'GEORGE BUSH DOESN'T CARE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE... They're saying black families are looting and white families are just looking for food...they're giving the (Army) permission to shoot us'... Actor Mike Myers asked people to donate... then Kanye West went on a tirade about Iraq... MORE...

CIVIL RIGHTS LEADER: 'It is reported that black hurricane victims in New Orleans have begun eating corpses to survive...'

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Why is there so much emphasis placed on the blacks in this? There are whites, asians, indians, etc also involved in this and from what I have seen there is not any discrimination at all. On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday I was down there and all I saw was people trying their best to help other people regardless of race. Nothing has been aimed at the poor or the blacks so why does the media try to turn this into a racial thing?

This is just sad. This is the image we are portraying to the rest of the world an image that even in a disaster like this there is a political motive that must be carried out. I don't care if you are a republican or a democrat to use this as a platform for a message is dispicable.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Because they make up most of the population %70. Which makes everyone els a minority.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I dont know why the media are portraying blacks as the victims of the storm, but i hear the same types of ridiculus things out of the mouths of all these 'civil rights' leaders.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
It really isn't this way, why does the media report it this way?

to soften the blow. if you had any idea how bad it really is down there, you would get why they are skirting around the actual damage assessment and deaths.

i know that its WAAAAAY out of proportion and completely in their minds not to mention VERY selfish, tosay that the blacks are being victimized, but they will say anything to avoid the real topic. just to make it easier for themselves.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by iksmodnad
Because they make up most of the population %70. Which makes everyone els a minority.

Huh?, i thought blacks made up more like 20-30% of the population? If this is true I want my minority benefits now!

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
The old School Conspiracy Theorists used to say that the Shadow Government would use racial upheaval for the final stroke into a Police State. They talked of Fake Terror, Government ID Cards and Thumbprint Scanners and an all inclusive built in system to monitor telephone lines, and folks would chuckle quietly and call them crazy.
But those old school Conspiracy Theorists maybe weren't so crazy after all, they watched Johnson Lie to them, they remember CIA operations, Kent State, Watergate, Guyana, Korea, they watched Kennedey get his brains blown out... maybe they weren't so far off afterall.
But my point is this, the Racial Issues in this country are little more than a tool of the establishment, perpetuated and indeed propagated in our culture through an intentional effort to keep the two party illusion of choice going. There's no need to look behind the curtain if you think you can pick which wizard you want to listen to.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitsunegari
to soften the blow. if you had any idea how bad it really is down there, you would get why they are skirting around the actual damage assessment and deaths.

i know that its WAAAAAY out of proportion and completely in their minds not to mention VERY selfish, tosay that the blacks are being victimized, but they will say anything to avoid the real topic. just to make it easier for themselves.

The sad thing is I just got back from down there. I live in Alabama and work for Southern Company. I went down there with an assesment team to look at the damage to the power grid and the Cell phone towers for our SouthernLinc division. Blacks are not being treated any differently than whites so I find this reporting very distastful and not becoming of America. We should be ashamed.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
well were you in new orleans? thats where there are dead bodies floating amongst sewerage and trash in the waters.

there isnt any water in alabama. i know how bad it is in alabama, and believe me im not putting that down. but New Orleans is whats being talked about, because thats where the people are.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Good lord! Unless the news channels are purposely enhancing the colour of people now, the majority of the individuals shown in all of the rescue areas and all of the shelters are black.

I am white and I could not help but notice that the majority of individuals shown were black. Nor did I fail to see that the repeated footage of the looters were...black, never mind that among the derelicts, many of whom were walking out of establishments with scores of diapers for their babies...were black. They were so rich they stole diapers for kicks?

But the fact they were portrayed as looters in areas still not accessed 4 days later by rescue operations somehow makes this indisputable poverty stricken class the lowest of criminals. And why not, since it serves a purpose?.

And I most definitely noticed that the good news stories of rescues and reunited families were centred among the whites. I recall this morning listening to someone holed up in the Ritz hotel bemoaning how they have no food and no way out. This is the Ritz hotel, not Motel la Roach. This evening, that same news channel was pleased to report the oh so harrowing experience of these Ritz hotel guests who were later told to evacuate and head to the Marriott where they were met by 18 buses, armed guards and hovering helicopters with which to aid their escape. My how traumatized they must still be that the guests of the Ritz hotel had to resort to pleading with the news agencies to receive attention!

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
SomewhereinBetween, hte majority of the people shown are black, i admit. thats because a LARGE percent of new orleans population is african-american. and most of the people shown are people still stuck in the loop of poverty who had no way to evacuate. these are mostly people who live in the projects and in bad conditions. i hate to say this, but its true.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Here are some threads on the USA's racial composition:

www.censusscope.org...

And here's a map that shows that most of the "ethnic enclaves," where a race (in this case african-american) lives in a homogeneous community is along the coasts, and in the Northern US (actually surprised me on that one):

www.censusscope.org...

THIS webpage:
www.prb.org.../ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=10201
shows that blacks make up ~13% of the USA population. While this page indicates that african americans are (were) 67% of the population of metro New Orleans:

www.city-data.com...

Perhaps these facts explain what you see on your TV.

top topics

join