It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Balkans: International magnet for jihadists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Looks like the Balkans "unsophisticated security " and unsecure borders are just what the jihadists need to thrive:

Story here

"BELGRADE, Serbia-Montenegro (AP) -- The arrest in Serbia of a top terrorist fugitive has raised fresh concerns of an al-Qaida presence in the volatile Balkans, where thousands of U.S. and other international troops are stationed as peacekeepers.

Abdelmajid Bouchar, a 22-year-old Moroccan, sought for involvement in last year's train bombings in the Spanish capital Madrid, that killed nearly 200 people, was caught at the Belgrade railway station in June.

The arrest, revealed earlier this month, revived concerns that the Balkans - with its porous borders, unsophisticated security systems, rampant corruption and organized crime - could serve as a haven for al-Qaida-linked terrorist groups.

Local officials and experts have long warned that the Balkans at least is a major transit route for the terrorists, as well as for organized crime, including human and drug trafficking. They said the two often go hand in hand..."

I wonder how long before UN personel stationed in these areas have before they start to be targeted?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The Balkans: International magnet for all sorts of Warprofiteers

Story of DynCorp - Corporation, involved in sex trafficking and I quote, perverse, illegal and inhumane behavior [and] were purchasing illegal weapons, women, forged passports and [participating in] other immoral acts.

But that's not Terrorism...

What's more, Kathryn Bolkovac, a U.N. International Police Force monitor filed a lawsuit in Britain in 2001 against DynCorp for firing her after she reported that Dyncorp police trainers in Bosnia were paying for prostitutes and participating in sex trafficking. Many of the Dyncorp employees were forced to resign under suspicion of illegal activity. But none were prosecuted, since they enjoy immunity from prosecution in Bosnia.

Earlier that year Ben Johnston, a DynCorp aircraft mechanic for Apache and Blackhawk helicopters in Kosovo, filed a lawsuit against his employer. The suit alleged that that in the latter part of 1999 Johnson "learned that employees and supervisors from DynCorp were engaging in perverse, illegal and inhumane behavior [and] were purchasing illegal weapons, women, forged passports and [participating in] other immoral acts."

The suit charges that "Johnston witnessed coworkers and supervisors literally buying and selling women for their own personal enjoyment, and employees would brag about the various ages and talents of the individual slaves they had purchased." "DynCorp is just as immoral and elite as possible, and any rule they can break they do," Johnston told Insight magazine. He charged that the company also billed the Army for unnecessary repairs and padded the payroll. "What they say in Bosnia is that DynCorp just needs a warm body -- that's the DynCorp slogan. Even if you don't do an eight-hour day, they'll sign you in for it because that's how they bill the government. It's a total fraud."

Source:
CSC/ DynCorp

But I think skippy won't see my words, so I write this for every other reader of this thread.

I guess DynCorp can do whatever it want's and get away with it...

[edit on 29/8/05 by Souljah]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
With respect Souljah why do you hijack every thread that skippy makes?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Souljah why are you diverting this topic? Post about the original story or else go post on one of your “the US is Evil and kills for fun threads”.

With respect Souljah why do you hijack every thread that skippy makes?

DW it’s because of Skippy's avatar, everyone knows Darth Maul killed Obi-Wan’s master.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
So the answer is?........ go bomb the Balkans and send in the troops perhaps?

Hang on, been there and done that already

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy

Hey your right lets wait until the RAF men and women in the balklans get shot down or mabye get shot before we think about looking into the situation...

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy

I have no idea what the answer is. I know PART of the answer would be for the regions security to tighten things up a bit. Extremism can only go as far as it is alowed.

BUT....Other nations have every right to do "something" about it if these extremists based in the region attack them. Especially if local authorities arent doing anything about it.

Only time will tell.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Hey your right lets wait until the RAF men and women in the balklans get shot down or mabye get shot before we think about looking into the situation.

- Naaaa I don't see anyone suggesting any such thing DW. Just calm down a little and take a step back and understand who we are dealing with here.

First of all an AP report is 'proof' of nothing.

We should recognise the long standing antagonisms between Serbs and their Bosnian Muslim neighbours (who by the way are ethnically identical).

We could bear in mind that given their appalling public image 'in the west' the Serbs could very well just about say anything that they think the west wants to hear if it centres around slating Muslims (and if they can tie it in with fears over Islamic terrorists so much the better, right?).

Where's the big surprise that Serbs wish to paint Bosnian Muslims as associated with and a part of this imagined Islamic 'war' and just another bunch of Islamic nutters out to 'get' us all?

So what if they make these kinds of claims, it's exactly their 'form', where is the proof; any proof?

.......and so what that some in the US just lap up everything anti-Muslim from anywhere, it is just what they want to hear and it suits their aganda.
That is all.

A single arrest proves nothing, even if it did in fact actually happen.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
- Naaaa I don't see anyone suggesting any such thing DW. Just calm down a little and take a step back and understand who we are dealing with here.

First of all an AP report is 'proof' of nothing.

We should recognise the long standing antagonisms between Serbs and their Bosnian Muslim neighbours (who by the way are ethnically identical).

We could bear in mind that given their appalling public image 'in the west' the Serbs could very well just about say anything that they think the west wants to hear if it centres around slating Muslims (and if they can tie it in with fears over Islamic terrorists so much the better, right?).

Where's the big surprise that Serbs wish to paint Bosnian Muslims as associated with and a part of this imagined Islamic 'war' and just another bunch of Islamic nutters out to 'get' us all?

So what if they make these kinds of claims, it's exactly their 'form', where is the proof; any proof?

.......and so what that some in the US just lap up everything anti-Muslim from anywhere, it is just what they want to hear and it suits their aganda.
That is all.

A single arrest proves nothing, even if it did in fact actually happen.

I just didnt like his comment...
Still , it might not be proof but would good to look into.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The balkans are apparently used as more of a staging area rather than a place where outright jihadist terrorism occurs. They'll move members who've been injured in iraq into the balkans, while recruiting amoung the albanians and others to send more fighters to iraq. This network apparently also is invovled in european terrorism, but not strictly speaking, in the balkans itself. Apparently they're helping to get german military grade explosives and weapons to 'homegrown' terrorists in the other european countries.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Souljah why are you diverting this topic?

How is it diverting? The claim is that there are terrorists in the balkans, he is noting that they aren't terrorists, that they are not connected to terrorism. I disagree personally, but he's not diverting the thread. If anything is diverting the thread its people jumping all over him.

DW it’s because of Skippy's avatar, everyone knows Darth Maul killed Obi-Wan’s master.

Ok, thats pretty dog goned funny! I think that other guys on each side should start using Sith and jedi avatars! That'd be great fun for a while!

Any volunteers? Seriously I'll help make up some avatars for that, it'll be a healthy outlet! We can make somethin of it on the board!

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
The balkans are apparently used as more of a staging area rather than a place where outright jihadist terrorism occurs. They'll move members who've been injured in iraq into the balkans, while recruiting amoung the albanians and others to send more fighters to iraq. This network apparently also is invovled in european terrorism, but not strictly speaking, in the balkans itself. Apparently they're helping to get german military grade explosives and weapons to 'homegrown' terrorists in the other european countries.

Take out the link in the chain and the chian seperates..

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Ok, thats pretty dog goned funny! I think that other guys on each side should start using Sith and jedi avatars! That'd be great fun for a while!

Any volunteers? Seriously I'll help make up some avatars for that, it'll be a healthy outlet! We can make somethin of it on the board!

Everyone would want Darth Vader, the ultimate star wars character.

new topics

top topics

join