It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Crocodiles Could Help in the Fight Against AIDS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Australian scientists have discovered that the immune system of crocodiles is far more effective in fighting HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, than the human immune system. This discovery could lead to new treatments to fight the deadly sexually transmitted disease in man. Crocodiles are thought to have a much stronger immune system since they live such violent lives in filthy swamp conditions.

news.mongabay.com
SCIENTISTS in Australia's tropical north are collecting blood from crocodiles in the hope of developing a powerful antibiotic for humans, after tests showed that the reptile's immune system kills the HIV virus.

The crocodile's immune system is much more powerful than that of humans, preventing life-threatening infections after savage territorial fights which often leave the animals with gaping wounds and missing limbs.

"They tear limbs off each other and despite the fact that they live in this environment with all these microbes, they heal up very rapidly and normally almost always without infection," said US scientist Mark Merchant, who has been taking crocodile blood samples in the Northern Territory.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is great news! Progress on new drugs to fight disease have always come from some of the most unexpected sources. I hope research into how the crocodile can deal with such viruses helps move scientists closer towards a cure for humans.

Related News Links:
www.theregister.co.uk

[edit on 8/16/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Yes, there is an article on this at Yahoo that goes on to explain how the crocodile's immune system attacks a bacteria and just makes it explode. The article also talked about making topical medications for conditions such as diabetic ulcers. This would truly be wonderful because those type of wounds can be extremely hard to heal. Yea, Crocodile Blood! I'd like to start a crocodile farm!!
Edited due to typo (twice, duh)

[edit on 8/17/05 by FibroKat]

[edit on 8/17/05 by FibroKat]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I noticed that the article mentions Komodo dragons, whose saliva is very toxic to an animal bitten by them. I wonder if alligator blood exhibits the same characteristics as croc blood.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This doesnt surprise me since its likely that the reptilians working with our own government created the Aids virus in the first place. Im sure they would only create something they and others with Reptilian DNA are immune to

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
This really is a great discovery. There has been talk of this subject, and its potential for years. It looks like the synthesis to a new generation of antibiotics may be close.
Link

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChristyZ
This doesnt surprise me since its likely that the reptilians working with our own government created the Aids virus in the first place. Im sure they would only create something they and others with Reptilian DNA are immune to

?????

please explain

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Oh sweet Jesus Christ...I hope that was some sort of joke.

The David Icke bunch are beginning to take the [insert explitive here]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Oh sweet Jesus Christ...I hope that was some sort of joke.

The David Icke bunch are beginning to take the [insert explitive here]

On a serious note....that would be a remarkable step!

I'd love to see more work on this.

top topics

join