It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Three British Soldiers To Face War Crimes Court Martial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Three soldiers of the Queen's Lancashire Regiment have been charged with alleged inhuman treatment toward detainees and perverting the course of justice.
One of the three accused, Corporal Donald Paye aged 34, is also alleged to have been involved in the death of an Iraqi detainee Baha Daioud Salin Musa who died in British custody. The two other members of the regiment also face charges.
The Soldiers have been charged under the International Criminal Court Act 2001. But will face a British Army Court Martial and not stand trill at the Hague.
At least nine other soldiers will face a number of other charges that have arisen from other inquires into actions of British troops in Iraq.

news.bbc.co.uk
Three British soldiers are to face war crimes courts martial for the alleged inhuman treatment of detainees in Iraq.

The men have been charged under the International Criminal Court Act 2001, Attorney General Lord Goldsmith said.

The case relates to alleged incidents in the southern Iraqi city of Basra between September 13 and 15, 2003 involving the death of one man.The men are alleged to have committed a number of offences against detainees arrested following a planned operation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This can only be a good thing and considering the time it has taken (the alleged incidents occurred in September of 2003) the prosecution should have a pretty good case for them to answer.

No soldier should behave like this, and if the allegations hold true and the verdict is guilty then they deserves what they have coming to then.

They are a disgrace to the uniform the flag and the country, it the few that behave like this that give the many honorable and courageous British service men and woman a bad name and pant the Army with a bad brush.

Related News Links:
www.sky.com

[edit on 20-7-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 21-7-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I don't know about British soldiers committing crimes against Iraqis after all its a war where everything goes and the rules of life change. Perhaps the commanders in this war ought to be court Marshalled, ie Bush and Blair. That wont happen though, they send our guys out there to face people who think the Geneva Convention is not in the Koran. If a was a soldier id be afraid , if the Iraqis don't get you the PC military will.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Bulldog, be quiet. You will make yourself look stupid. Your repeated posts spouting your rubbish just show that your about 15 years old with no idea what is going on in the world.

The British Army has a long tradition of punishing those that break the Rules of War, dating as far back as the Napoleonic Wars.

Unfortunately, it's people like you in our armed forces who think just because the enemy behaves like that, then we can too.

The vast majority of our guys and girls know the limits of what is allowed and adhere to the rules. Punish those that don't.

They should count themselves lucky they live now and not in 1815. Guys caught raping, pillaging and being arseholes where hung at the scene of their crimes back then.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Very well said Stumason. Just because this is a time of war doesn't mean that people are no longer accountable for their actions. I hope justice is served.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Stumason your the type of guy who salutes evertime the National Anthem is played, you live in the past when everything British was seen as fair play. These soldiers have seconds to respond to a threat , if at the end of the day it seems they got it wrong we court Marshall them like the British always do. Sacrificing a few sqaudies means nothing to the ruling class in this Country.You belong to a line of pompous twits who dont know what a front line soldier has to face, thats whats wrong with this Country.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
You obviously didn't read the article, you numpty.

The crimes they committed (and the same with all the others who have been charged) where done whilst the hapless Iraqis where in custody.

So you have seconds to respond to a guy who is bound? Whats he gonna do, spit at you to death? Oh no.....run away....run away......

You belong to a line of pompous twits who dont know what a front line soldier has to face, thats whats wrong with this Country.

....anyway, I shall stop laughing now. You obviously didn't listen the last time I slapped you down in the UK Armed forces thread. I know full well what soldiers on the front line have to face, but these guys where not on the front line. They where being twats to POW's.

[edit on 19/7/05 by stumason]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
And I'm the type of person to point out that THIS IS THE NEWS FORUM, decorum please.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Apologies, Intrepid....

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Everything i say is true about the British Army once it was the best and now is controlled by Pc Generals who are more at home in their clubs in London than thinking how the war affects people in the front line. They are far removed from the basic sqaddie as the Sun is from the Earth. If i was a soldier id quit because they treat you like s*** in the British Army.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
No, everything you said is what The Sun said was true. Multiple people proved you wrong, Bulldog. You do not know what you are talking about and despite being challenged to provide us with where you where getting your info from, you would squirm out of it.

I'll say it again, on what basis are you forming these opinions? What expierience of these matters do you have?

Back on topic, these guys deserve to be court martialled, for the things they did dishonoured themselves, their Regiment, the Army and above all, their Country.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
The soldiers in question don't have the authority to treat Iraq' prisoners inhumanely, let alone execute them which is what one of them is charged of doing. This is almost as bad as the Nick Berg killing by Al qaueda terrorists. I'm supposing the savage term can be applied readily to this group of disgraced british soldiers. What happened here is you have a pow caged up in a cell, and a british soldier acting as a guard; points the gun and starts shooting.

It is to my knowledge that the pows behind bars have a copy of the geneva convention in replacement of the religious book. So they would have an idea as to what rights they have. Such information would come in useful to be used against the soldiers in question.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
These things affect the moral of the troops , they dont know what is allowed or not now due to PC Generals. Read this article. www.rense.com...

new topics

top topics

join