It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Spaceman" in Alabama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Since I've been at ATS I don't remember there being any discussion about this case from Falkville, Alabama in 1973:

ufocasebook.com...

I was struck by the way the alien ran away from police chief Jeff Greenhaw at a unbelievable pace. I guess the gravitational differences between our planet and it's allowed it to run faster than the police car pursuing it. Also, based on the suit that it was wearing I'm guessing it might of had problems surviving in our atmosphere without it.

Based on what happened to Greenhaw after his experience I would put him in to the wrong place at the wrong time category.

Peace

[edit on 26-5-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Dr. Love,

Thanks for the link. This is indeed an interesting sighting but, in a way, it's not too unusual (for that era, at least). When you go through individual cases that span the era from 1950 to the mid 1970s you find a surprising number of 'robot' and 'tinfoil' cases that involve creatures that imitate something from an old fashioned scifi movie. This isn't to say that all cases from that era are like that -- indeed the small alien with big eyes (though not necessarily the gray type) has always predominated -- but, with a noticeable consistency, 'robotic' and 'spacesuit' aliens come up in the reports.

And... oddly.... such creatures are rarely seen coming in and out of a craft or in its immediate vicinity. Usually these 'robots' and spacesuit figures are witnessed roaming around the area where a UFO has been sighted.

Right now I'm at work... but I'll write more later on.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
he resembles the spaceman in this picture

[edit on 26-5-2005 by nukunuku]

[edit on 26-5-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Nukunuku

Yeah, it does a little bit. I think the suit is shinier in the Alabama one though. What do they say that picture you provided is supposed to be of? I can't find it.

Peace

p.s. Nevermind, I found it!!

[edit on 26-5-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Nukunuku

Yeah, it does a little bit. I think the suit is shinier in the Alabama one though. What do they say that picture you provided is supposed to be of? I can't find it.

Peace

here's a link
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
What do they say that picture you provided is supposed to be of?

It's the
"Cumbrian Spaceman" from 1964.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well, as far as the 'spaceman' and robotic being types go:

1) Some researchers have argued that people in the past described 'spacemen' and 'elves' around UFO landings because they were psychologically incapable of conceptualizing non-human beings... even if they were right in front of them. This fits in with claims that several 'native' people were unable to see the ships that carried the first european explorers to the new world (the idea being that people can't recognize an item they have no previous concept of).

2)So-called 'tinfoil goblins' have been photographed several times... especially in rural parts of the US. Many people feel these are hoaxes.

3)Famous examples of 'robotic' beings include the Flatwoods Monster and the odd (I think pictures of it look like the Michelin man) being that abducted two fishermen in Mississippi in 1972.

4)it's often been theorized that the gray aliens, themselves, are artificial life forms.

5) It makes sense that aliens would wear a spacesuit to visit earth (so as to avoid spreading disease). I think, however, that it's unlikely that their suits would look identical to ours. Note how both the pic that came with this thread and the Cumbrian spaceman look like human spacesuits.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Doc-you asked me about a pic or video I found to be truly wierd?
www.anomalies-unlimited.com...

That one. (mentioned in this thread)

I've thought it was everything from a ribbon in the girls hair, to a guy in a space suit. There's just no figuring that one out, albeit it's easily faked...I dont believe it is. It's just got that certain amount of high strangeness to it, along with the other connected events.

That, and the man who took it has (as far as I know) never seen anything like that again...it's was just a one time one off.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
onlyinmydreams

Agreed. Nukunuku had mentioned the similarities of the Alabama and Cumbrian spacemen already.

How do you explain what this police chief said he saw this spaceman do? This was seemingly supernatural type movement and the person who saw it would have to be considered a credible witness. How do you explain the things that happened to this guy personally after reporting this incident?

Peace

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jritzmann
It's just got that certain amount of high strangeness to it, along with the other connected events.

I hear that. I'm thinking Twilight Zone here.

Peace

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I still say the Cumbrian spaceman is a old golfer with a white golf hat as seen from the rear...

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Dr. Love,

People like Jacques Valee have argued that 'aliens' as they are experienced now represent a continuation of the 'trickster' type figures that fill the lore of humanity's past. In this theory it makes sense that they appear as almost comical or silly entities... as it is almost like they are trying to test the human ability to perceive and comprehend things for which there is no precedent. They are also, under this view, trying to 'tease' individuals by presenting them with situations that are so outlandish that they are almost unbelievable. This example of the tinfoil clad, robotic like creature with antennas, I believe, falls within the realm of something that is so cartoonish that, if it's real, might have been a test of what humans could consider believable.

It's also, in all probability, an elaborate hoax.

In the past there have been rumors of people who dressed monkeys and chimps up in tinfoil 'space suits' in hopes of scaring their neighbors. This might account for the high running speed of the being. It also could have been a kid wearing a costume... and the Sheriff just got the speed wrong...

...Or it could have been a situation where the Sheriff photographed a doll of a Mercury astronaut in bad light. To be honest, I don't consider the fact that his wife left him to be a sign that he was being hassled by aliens. I think it might be a sign that his lady realized that he had tried to spin a hoax.

Still... I'm always open to the idea that it was aliens who wanted to test human cognition by presenting a lone sheriff with an almost unbelievable situation.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Thia was a hoax that had the whole state of Georgia in an uproar for a couple of days.Being a monkey lover, I thought they got off light..

www.museumofhoaxes.com...

[edit on 26-5-2005 by siriuslyone]

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
It says in the article that the Police Chief was able to snap off 4 photos, yet only one accompanies the story. Assuming that the remaining 3 photos were able to capture something also, does anyone know how or where to find these? If so, please post them!

3)Famous examples of 'robotic' beings include the Flatwoods Monster and the odd (I think pictures of it look like the Michelin man) being that abducted two fishermen in Mississippi in 1972.

Can you post a link to these pics you're referring to? I don't recall ever hearing of this story of fishermen being abducted in 1972, and I'd love to see this pic! Thanks.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Nobody here knows where the remaining 3 photos are????

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Rasputin13

Could be the other three photographs didn't show much. Imagine seeing a humanoid figure running as fast as a deer at night. You would probably have a hard time capturing it clearly on film.

Peace

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Considering it was 1973 it someone running from the police in Alabama - - - it could have been a member of Earth Wind and Fire...

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Gentlemen,
I saw this story covered on the History Channel. I am now a complete skeptic because everyone in my home town knows who was wearing that suit.

Regards,
travelinmason

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Umm then please tell? Because that doesn't give us much to go on. Personally when I saw the Cumbrian picture, I thought ok:

1) they didn't see it with the human eye.
2) blown up you can't tell WHAT it is really.. only that it's human(oid)

With that in mind my thoughts turned to other things that only appear on film, like Ectoplasm and spirit. I think it's a ghost. If you check it out closely it resembles a man facing away from the camera, (you can see his shoulder blades almost) with a noose around his neck and his hands tied behind his back. He is wearing Long Johns which were quite popular in the old west.

That's my theory anyways. Until more info is gleaned.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
This incident happened, I believe, in October, 1973. It is quite a joke in the area. It was a man (teenager) dressed in aluminum foil. I will not give any names because the person who staged the hoax is a friend of mine and it is a sad state of affairs for two reasons. First, a man's life was ruined. Jeff Greenhaw's wife left him, his home was destroyed, and he lost his job. Second, this story was reported on the History Channel as being something more than what it was. It is fine for web bloggers to speculate about extra-terrestrials, if that is their particular field of interest. However, the History Channel is believed to be a reputable source of information. It would be the same situation if the New York Times or Washington Post ran an article that was mostly fabricated. It would compromise the credibility of the publication and be potentially dangerous.

Sincerely,
travelinmason

<<   2 >>

join