It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JESUS was in Mental Anguish the Night Before GOOD FRIDAY...Having Second Thoughts Perhaps?.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato
a reply to: WeMustCare

Jesus felt all the emotions that mankind does. after all he came as a man.

all through the gospels we see where he felt Joy, Anger, Sorrow, Compassion, Empathy, Frustration,. the whole gambit of them.

and yes he did feel Anguish, we do know he prayed for this,

Luke 22:42
New American Standard Bible

“Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done.”

How does one come to the conclusion that "remove this cup from Me", translates into "don't let me die in this manner"?

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomer1947

No, not really. Just a human who was in touch with God. Other people have done similar things throughout history.

You mean like the disciples who only found faith after he
had risen? And knowing what they knew were then all ready
to die rather than denounce him?

No argue if you like but no man would have gone to the cross
willingly like that. Pilate wasn't even sure Jesus understood
what was about to happen. He didn't realise at all that he was
the one who didn't understand.
edit on 28-3-2024 by Astrocometus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomer1947

Off the top of my head he was

Betrayed
Abandoned by his friends
Shunned by his people
Unjustly convicted
Beaten multiple times
Whipped
Humiliated
Made to carry his mod of execution
Stabbed in the head with thorns
Nailed in his hands and feet
Dehydrated and suffocated on a cross
Killed
Speared in the side

All within a day

Knowing it would happen
For no gain of his own
For no physical purpose.

I can’t think of anyone in history other that Jesus.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: NorthOS

I think that was intended as well. He experienced abandonment.

He came as God and man and his human side was in extreme fear. So he prayed.

We see, though as a man, he prayed, as God he went ahead with what he knew full well would happen.

VERY complex. Jesus was filled with good character and integrity. Maybe to a fault? "Turn the other cheek", is something I can't do if the offending action was really bad.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Neither can I.

Nice to meet you human!

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeMustCare

originally posted by: NorthOS

I think that was intended as well. He experienced abandonment.

He came as God and man and his human side was in extreme fear. So he prayed.

We see, though as a man, he prayed, as God he went ahead with what he knew full well would happen.

VERY complex. Jesus was filled with good character and integrity. Maybe to a fault? "Turn the other cheek", is something I can't do if the offending action was really bad.

I think you reasoned well here. And perhaps it is the wickedness of the society we live in that would make you think that it was a fault to be the way he is. But really that is the way God is. The surpassing way of love. And that is the way it has always suposed to be.

We were created in God's image and God knows one of the innate needs of a human is love. Even Jesus needed that reassurance and love which he got often. For example when he was baptized in the Jordan River, God, speaking from the heavens as he poured out the holy spirit upon his son said, "This is my son, the beloved, whom I have approved." He gave his son 3 things all sons need. Recognition, approval, and love.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomuser2034
Thank you for bringing this most important event to our attention. It is good to reflect on it and remember what God and his son Jesus Christ did for mankind.

Scripture says that Jesus "despised shame:"

"For the joy that was set before him he endured a torture stake, despising shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."-Hebrews 12:2.

Jesus endured all of the trials he went through, being spit on, beat, the stress that he would die as a blasphemer of his beloved Father, Jehovah God, among many other things, that no one here reading this today has ever gone through. He suffered through it all and endured it all with the joy that was set before him. He knew he was going to return to heaven to his Father's side. He knew that he would vindicate his Father's name once and for all times by laying down his life as a perfect human that endured all of Satan's tests down to the end. He knew that he was freeing mankind from slavery to sin and death.

And there is no where that indicates that Jesus was desiring a higher position that he had in heaven before he descended to earth, but Jehovah God kindly gave him the name above all other names, and subjected all things in heaven and on earth to his son, except for Himself as God and Father of all including his son Jesus Christ.

The two greatest acts of love of all times. If you reflect on it, back in the garden of Eden Satan must have really thought that he had outsmarted Jehovah God by getting Adam and Eve to sin. If God had allowed them to keep living then he would be proven a liar. If he condemned Adam and Eve to death then he would have proven to be a failure. But then Jehovah does something that must have dumbfounded Satan, in whom there is no love. Because he gave the prophecy in Genesis 3:15 of the coming offspring that would free mankind from sin and death. On Nisan 14, 33 C. E. (which corresponded with this last Sunday, or March 24 on our Gregorian calendar) Satan gave Jesus the heel wound, and Jesus gave up his life a ransom in exchange for many. For all who exercise faith in that ransom sacrifice.

No, Jesus wasn't having second thoughts. He was indeed pained at what he had to go through, and he didn't want to have to die as a blasphemer, a common criminal, the worst possible death, one that broke his heart, because he loved his heavenly Father so much. But he despised shame, and endured this all because of the joy that was set before him, leaving us all a model, that we should follow his example closely.

You must be a professor of Christianity. ATS is filled with talent! Thank-you for sharing things I would have (most likely) never learned, had you not taken the time to write the above post.

One encouraging thing is that Jesus told one of the criminals who died with him on "Good Friday" that they'd be together in PARADISE that evening. I didn't think GOD allowed his children to go to hell, any more than I'd allow mine to go there.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 10:10 PM
link   

'If' there was a Jesus he would be wise to think would his sacrifice achieve anything. Possibly he'd be looking at people today and thinking he went through all that for nothing. Or, was it a test only for himself?

Then some will say but he died to save humans. That sounds like an easy ride for humans, let someone else do the suffering and no matter what humans do thereafter they are safe. Unless, that is a trick to get people doing nothing and believing someone else will save them. Similar to what I read today. E.g., you are the strongest of the strong no need to do anything just shine your light. There's no need to do anything the White Hats are cleaning up the swamp. Remove yourself from reality and meditate.

There's a lot of hero and superstar worship today. Would a man such as Jesus want to be worshipped in the same manner or prefer less focus on him more focus on others?

To say he is the only one to have gone through a terrible death to help humanity is inaccurate. There are many people in our time who have lost their lives and suffered terribly trying to help humanity. Did their sacrifices achieve anything for humanity?

Maybe what Jesus did was not meant to save humanity but to save himself. For only those who love with all their hearts would sacrifice their lives for others. The perfect example of a giver not taker.

You can believe you've got a free pass to salvation or you can see what he did as a good example of someone who practised what he preached and be accountable for your own actions 'and' inactions.

Awaiting lots of angry responses for challenging the status quo. ... But, I mean this not to harm but to open minds.

Happy holidays no matter what you believe and choose

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Why don't you ask Him?

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: HighEQ

To say he is the only one to have gone through a terrible death to help humanity is inaccurate. There are many people in our time who have lost their lives and suffered terribly trying to help humanity. Did their sacrifices achieve anything for humanity?

Sin entered the world and the repercussion is death/disease. Jesus came into the world and did not sin, yet took on the due repercussions for all humankind's sin. This was prophecied by Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his firstborn son, Moses sacrificing the firstborn lamb that had no blemish, the entire Mosaic Law, David's psalms, and the rest of the prophets. Fulfilling prophecy is key because it proves God is not bound by time and therefore could foreshadow these important events.

Jesus's sacrifice allows people to still enter the perfect realms after death despite not having lived a perfect life on earth. This was foreshadowed by the firstborn lamb being sacrificed by Moses so the children of God could elude the angel of death, leave Egypt, and enter the Promised Land.

Jesus paid our debts for us so our consciousness can have eternal perpetuity. It's actually really awesome.
edit on 28-3-2024 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: VariedcodeSole

originally posted by: Astrocometus

All I know is it would take a God to do what he did.

Because men are cowards.

First of all, if Jesus is God, then why was he praying to himself?🤷🏻

"Why am I forsaking myself?" Is pretty much what he's asking if you believe he's God.

A partial answer can be found here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 10:56 PM
link   

That's one reason why Jesus could have been having second thoughts about the whole sacrifice thing.

Hard to imagine him not wishing he didn't have to go thru such
a horrible fate. if it were easy maybe any old Joe could do it?
The will of his Father meant more to him than anything.
So among everthing else Christ did he also set an example
for us in regards to loving and obeying our Father. What's not
to be understood?

So if your Dad or God told you to run your car into the river to show your love for him, you'd do it?

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: HighEQ

'If' there was a Jesus he would be wise to think would his sacrifice achieve anything. Possibly he'd be looking at people today and thinking he went through all that for nothing. Or, was it a test only for himself?

I see no reason for anyone to be angered by any of your text.

What I do see is a perfect example of why we have the scriptures.

Then some will say but he died to save humans. That sounds like an easy ride for humans, let someone else do the suffering and no matter what humans do thereafter they are safe.

You don't really think it works like that do you?

There's a lot of hero and superstar worship today. Would a man such as Jesus want to be worshipped in the same manner or prefer less focus on him more focus on others?

The Father wants you to love him with all your strength. That begins with
Christ. Once you know Christ you love The Father and then, you will want
to worship God.

Who are you talking about?

Maybe what Jesus did was not meant to save humanity but to save himself. For only those who love with all their hearts would sacrifice their lives for others. The perfect example of a giver not taker.

Again this is why we have scripture.

You can believe you've got a free pass to salvation or you can see what he did as a good example of someone who practised what he preached and be accountable for your own actions 'and' inactions.

Right and the choice is yours.

Happy Happy

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 11:31 PM
link   

So if your Dad or God told you to run your car into the river to show your love for him, you'd do it?

Wait my Dad? No but only because I have a pretty bad ass car.

But God? No question yes I would obey the Creator of the universe.
Why wouldn't I?

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 12:18 AM
link   

a reply to: AwakeNotWoke

On Easter Sunday, did Jesus say anything about being glad he went through with it? I hear there is more text out there, than what we see in the King James Bible.

There is this from Hebrews 12:

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: VariedcodeSole

All I know is it would take a God to do what he did.

Because men are cowards.

First of all, if Jesus is God, then why was he praying to himself?🤷🏻

"Why am I forsaking myself?" Is pretty much what he's asking if you believe he's God.

There are nuances to the concept of the Trinity that our mortal minds cannot comprehend. That's the only answer you need. If you don't want to accept it, that your problem.

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: AwakeNotWoke

originally posted by: kwaka
Tough choice, run and be a chicken or stand your ground and get crucified. Would do my head in too.

The long and short of it is that the event that the Christian world recognises this week is, IMO, the very fulcrum and nexus of human history. This is what it's all about.

More important than Christmas, in your opinion?

The cross and the Resurrection was the fulfilment of the promise, the ultimate end of the plan. It was the whole point of His birth.

John 12:27

“Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? But for this purpose I have come to this hour.

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

Jesus felt all the emotions that mankind does. after all he came as a man.

all through the gospels we see where he felt Joy, Anger, Sorrow, Compassion, Empathy, Frustration,. the whole gambit of them.

and yes he did feel Anguish, we do know he prayed for this,

Luke 22:42
New American Standard Bible

“Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done.”

How does one come to the conclusion that "remove this cup from Me", translates into "don't let me die in this manner"?

Because that is exactly what it means.

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

I cannot say, I was not there to confirm if there was a Jesus and if he did not sin. If he was born mortal I'd think that came with sin (learning, making mistakes), it is human nature.

I will not know if there was a Jesus or if he died for my sins until I leave this Hell, oops Earth. I'm figuring nor will anyone else.

All I 'know' is what I learn day-to-day through my own experiences and observations.

Don't you think it is very risky taking a chance on things you cannot know for certain? It would be a shame to get to the other side and realise it was all up to us, no one else, and we missed the golden opportunity.

I'll use Christianity's terminology of 'God' here for good flow and understanding. Sacrificing life---any life--is destroying creation (destructive). Couldn't that be seen as destroying God's creation or even thinking one has the right to be like a God? Another view would be will you use the hands you were given to heal or harm? What feels most comfortable in your heart? If we go to the Commandments it states Thou shalt not kill, was there fine print I missed, conditions, exceptions? Would you kill for a God you have never met and seen? Another way of putting it: Would you kill on command if someone asked you and told you it was okay, like in the military?

Is it ever okay to kill? Or only when someone in a so-called authoritive position says it is okay and orders it?

If there is a God and Devil, which would be most likely to want us to kill? Say we do a profile analysis on them, wouldn't that be the Devil?
edit on 29-3-2024 by HighEQ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Astrocometus

I'm glad you find comfort in the scriptures I can only find fault.

'You don't really think it works like that do you?'
Maybe I do.

'The Father wants you to love him with all your strength. That begins with Christ. Once you know Christ you love The Father and then, you will want to worship God.'

I don't know Christ as I've never met him; I cannot love a character in a book only real life that I know exists here and now. You see there' s this God peasant type hierachy that is very much like what we have on Earth where one must look up to others and think of 'some' as more important. Would a benvolent God have the same hierachy or would he see all life as important, none less or more deserving?

'Right and the choice is yours.
Happy Happy'

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join