It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JESUS was in Mental Anguish the Night Before GOOD FRIDAY...Having Second Thoughts Perhaps?.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Thursday, March 28, 2024 (Tomorrow is "Good Friday")

Today is the first time I've heard that JESUS said this really "dark" prayer the night before he was crucified on a wooden cross.

Tradition says that Jesus prayed this prayer the night he spent, imprisoned in the custody of Caiaphas the high priest, abandoned by his followers, alone.

1 O Lord, God of my salvation,
when, at night, I cry out in your presence,

2 let my prayer come before you;
incline your ear to my cry.

3 For my soul is full of troubles,
and my life draws near to Sheol.

4 I am counted among those who go down to the Pit;
I am like those who have no help,

5 like those forsaken among the dead,
like the slain that lie in the grave,
like those whom you remember no more,
for they are cut off from your hand.

6 You have put me in the depths of the Pit,
in the regions dark and deep.

7 Your wrath lies heavy upon me,
and you overwhelm me with all your waves.Selah
Continued at: theconservativetreehouse.com...-255860

Why was Jesus so afraid and bitter, considering he was fulfilling the destiny and role of SAVING HUMANKIND...his billions of brothers and sisters?

Maybe he was starting to feel we (humankind) weren't worth the torture and agony he would be experiencing, in less than 24 hours?

-WeMustCare 🤔

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeMustCare

For all our pagans and heathens. Afterwards, on May 3rd, we TRUE believers will be celebrating Good Friday.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosOMegas
😘😜🤭

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlexandrosOMegas

originally posted by: WeMustCare

For all our pagans and heathens. Afterwards, on May 3rd, we TRUE believers will be celebrating Good Friday.

A Mexico Independence day celebration?

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: WeMustCare

All I know is it would take a God to do what he did.

Because men are cowards.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 07:42 PM
link   

There is no record of Jesus actually praying that prayer, but it is from a Psalm - no. 88 to be precise - and is considered a prophetic psalm pointing to the suffering of the promised Messiah. (Psalm 22 presents something similar.)

At any rate, whether he actually repeated that Psalm or not, those sentiments were definitely present in his human condition. Luke 22 recounts to us this:

39 Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. 40 On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.” 41 He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” 43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

Being as much human as he was divine, I understand that the human side of him wanted to eschew the suffering, as horrible as he knew it would be; however, the divine call won out.

From this comes the admonishment in Philippians 2:

5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

And the admonition of Jesus himself in Matthew 16:

24 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?

:
edit on 2024 3 28 by AwakeNotWoke because: typos.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Tough choice, run and be a chicken or stand your ground and get crucified. Would do my head in too.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: kwaka
Tough choice, run and be a chicken or stand your ground and get crucified. Would do my head in too.

I've read or heard that the drops of sweat like blood is a real medical condition that can be brought on by extreme stress. Supposedly the capillaries in the skin begin to rupture due to the extreme amount of stress and - I imagine - resulting increased blood pressure.

The long and short of it is that the event that the Christian world recognises this week is, IMO, the very fulcrum and nexus of human history. This is what it's all about.

:
edit on 2024 3 28 by AwakeNotWoke because: typos.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astrocometus

Because men are cowards.

That's one reason why Jesus could have been having second thoughts about the whole sacrifice thing.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Jesus felt all the emotions that mankind does. after all he came as a man.

all through the gospels we see where he felt Joy, Anger, Sorrow, Compassion, Empathy, Frustration,. the whole gambit of them.

and yes he did feel Anguish, we do know he prayed for this,

Luke 22:42
New American Standard Bible

“Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done.”

edit on 28-3-2024 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AwakeNotWoke

On Easter Sunday, did Jesus say anything about being glad he went through with it? I hear there is more text out there, than what we see in the King James Bible.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Because men are cowards.

First of all, if Jesus is God, then why was he praying to himself?🤷🏻

"Why am I forsaking myself?" Is pretty much what he's asking if you believe he's God.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Thank you for bringing this most important event to our attention. It is good to reflect on it and remember what God and his son Jesus Christ did for mankind.

Scripture says that Jesus "despised shame:"

"For the joy that was set before him he endured a torture stake, despising shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."-Hebrews 12:2.

Jesus endured all of the trials he went through, being spit on, beat, the stress that he would die as a blasphemer of his beloved Father, Jehovah God, among many other things, that no one here reading this today has ever gone through. He suffered through it all and endured it all with the joy that was set before him. He knew he was going to return to heaven to his Father's side. He knew that he would vindicate his Father's name once and for all times by laying down his life as a perfect human that endured all of Satan's tests down to the end. He knew that he was freeing mankind from slavery to sin and death.

And there is no where that indicates that Jesus was desiring a higher position that he had in heaven before he descended to earth, but Jehovah God kindly gave him the name above all other names, and subjected all things in heaven and on earth to his son, except for Himself as God and Father of all including his son Jesus Christ.

The two greatest acts of love of all times. If you reflect on it, back in the garden of Eden Satan must have really thought that he had outsmarted Jehovah God by getting Adam and Eve to sin. If God had allowed them to keep living then he would be proven a liar. If he condemned Adam and Eve to death then he would have proven to be a failure. But then Jehovah does something that must have dumbfounded Satan, in whom there is no love. Because he gave the prophecy in Genesis 3:15 of the coming offspring that would free mankind from sin and death. On Nisan 14, 33 C. E. (which corresponded with this last Sunday, or March 24 on our Gregorian calendar) Satan gave Jesus the heel wound, and Jesus gave up his life a ransom in exchange for many. For all who exercise faith in that ransom sacrifice.

No, Jesus wasn't having second thoughts. He was indeed pained at what he had to go through, and he didn't want to have to die as a blasphemer, a common criminal, the worst possible death, one that broke his heart, because he loved his heavenly Father so much. But he despised shame, and endured this all because of the joy that was set before him, leaving us all a model, that we should follow his example closely.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Especially tough to choose the sacrifice route after your best friends wouldn't come to your aid when you needed it. (Reminds me of the USA not having any allies...but that's for another thread.)

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I think that was intended as well. He experienced abandonment.

He came as God and man and his human side was in extreme fear. So he prayed.

We see, though as a man, he prayed, as God he went ahead with what he knew full well would happen.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Jesus did not want to go, "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless , not as I will, but as you will".

Jesus was fully man and fully God. The man side was afraid. How else could He defend you, if He had not experienced humanity?

Jesus went to the cross out of obedience to the Father. It was not out of love for you. The Bible never says that. John 3:16 does say "God so loved the world... "

That is the miracle. We are not, nor have ever been worthy of the grace and salvation freely given by God.

Look around today. How many people do you know that you would give your car or house keys to? Who would you be willing to die for? Humanity is a greedy, nasty bunch. Not all but plenty.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 09:12 PM
link   

That's one reason why Jesus could have been having second thoughts about the whole sacrifice thing.

Hard to imagine him not wishing he didn't have to go thru such
a horrible fate. if it were easy maybe any old Joe could do it?
The will of his Father meant more to him than anything.
So among everthing else Christ did he also set an example
for us in regards to loving and obeying our Father. What's not
to be understood?

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: VariedcodeSole

"Why am I forsaking myself?" Is pretty much what he's asking if you believe he's God.

Damn that's a tuff one. Can I get back to ya?

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 09:23 PM
link   

No, not really. Just a human who was in touch with God. Other people have done similar things throughout history.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AwakeNotWoke

The long and short of it is that the event that the Christian world recognises this week is, IMO, the very fulcrum and nexus of human history. This is what it's all about.

More important than Christmas, in your opinion?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join