It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California officer shoots and kills a 15-year old autistic boy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Multiple sources on this story.
Still the full details are not known but we yet need to see what has happened without people try to politicalize another tragic event that could have been avoided in my opinion. The boy was 15 years old and was autistic according to the links.

apnews.com...

www.latimes.com...

www.theguardian.com...

nypost.com...

Unfortunately, in the US, officers easily shoot and kill people who are perceived as threats or just shoot and kill people even when they are not.

What do other posters think who are not from the US and are coming from places where officers either are not armed or don't usually shoot and kill civilians. And that's most of the other countries in the world.
edit on 11-3-2024 by Venkuish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Venkuish1
Still the full details are not known but we yet need to see what has happened without people try to politicalize another tragic event that could have been avoided in my opinion. The boy was 15 years old and was autistic according to the links.

apnews.com...

www.latimes.com...

www.theguardian.com...

nypost.com...

So we can assume the officer didn't "know" the "boy" was autistic, right? 😃

Medication "overload" ? 😀

A 15-year-old boy with autism was shot dead by a California sheriff’s deputy after charging at him with a long-bladed gardening tool, distressing bodycam video shows.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Venkuish1

It says he was running at the cop with a long bladed gardening tool, which we can see in the body cam the kid is running full bore at the cop with weapon in hand and the cop says something to the effect of stop or you're gonna get shot. I dont know where he shot him probably should have shot him in the leg and not been lethal but still stopped the threat. Probably should have just tasered him honestly and probably should have had more backup just from what I see on the small piece of bodycam I've seen so far.

What would you do in that situation? Based on the bodycam if the kid didn't obey the command to stop or ill shoot or just drop the weapon I would have tasered him because I have a feeling that non lethal option would have stopped him. But we don't know the whole situation because at least I myself have only seen a small part of the bodycam footage.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shoshanna

It says he was running at the cop with a long bladed gardening tool, which we can see in the body cam the kid is running full bore at the cop with weapon in hand and the cop says something to the effect of stop or you're gonna get shot. I dont know where he shot him probably should have shot him in the leg and not been lethal but still stopped the threat. Probably should have just tasered him honestly and probably should have had more backup just from what I see on the small piece of bodycam I've seen so far.

What would you do in that situation? Based on the bodycam if the kid didn't obey the command to stop or ill shoot or just drop the weapon I would have tasered him because I have a feeling that non lethal option would have stopped him. But we don't know the whole situation because at least I myself have only seen a small part of the bodycam footage.

My question is the following: How many similar incidents happen in Europe? Usually officers in various countries are not armed or don't use lethal force easily.

I haven't seen the bodycam footage either.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

apnews.com...

www.latimes.com...

www.theguardian.com...

nypost.com...

So we can assume the officer didn't "know" the "boy" was autistic, right? 😃

Medication "overload" ? 😀

A 15-year-old boy with autism was shot dead by a California sheriff’s deputy after charging at him with a long-bladed gardening tool, distressing bodycam video shows.

I don't think he knew but nobody claimed he did.

But nevertheless it's a tragic incident that doesn't usually happen in many other countries where police officers are either not armed or don't easily shoot people.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 05:59 PM
link   

If you don't attack cops, the likelihood of getting shot by them drops dramatically.

FYI

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:00 PM
link   

For some reason saw edged spades are being advertised heavily. www.jmldirect.com...

Maybe it's all about demonising tools that feed people.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If you don't attack cops, the likelihood of getting shot by them drops dramatically.

FYI

Obviously.

But do you so other problem that other countries don't seem to have?

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:02 PM
link   
As a parent of an autistic son (high functioning, no medication ever required or suggested/offered) I will remain calm and just show some cops opt for ingenuity rather than lethal force

The moment thirty riot police tackled machete-wielding man with a wheelie bin

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:04 PM
link   

FYI

Obviously.

Yes, America has a culture that disrespects authority, thinks a work ethic is racist.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown2
As a parent of an autistic son (high functioning, no medication ever required or suggested/offered) I will remain calm and just show some cops opt for ingenuity rather than lethal force

The moment thirty riot police tackled machete-wielding man with a wheelie bin

The point is: easy shoot and kill practices are mainly observed in the US. You don't get anything remotely similar in Germany, France, the UK, Sweden, Denmark, Australia, New Zealand, name whatever country you want.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:06 PM
link   

FYI

Obviously.

Yes, America has a culture that disrespects authority, thinks a work ethic is racist.

I am not quite sure about this.
But even if it was true dies this merit the shooting and killings of civilians at this alarming rate?

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:08 PM
link   

FYI

Obviously.

But even if it was true dies this merit the shooting and killings of civilians at this alarming rate?

Ummmm, don't attack cops.

They have guns.

I typed this as slowly as I could so you can understand.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:11 PM
link   

What do other countries have that the U.S. doesn't? 💡

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:15 PM
link   

FYI

Obviously.

What’s there to be sure about?
Everything DB mentioned is true.

I believe the bigger issue here in the USA is the colossal failure of helping people with mental illness that spans many decades.
Maybe other countries are better at it? I don’t know.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Might be premature but I'm gonna go ahead and diagnose this situation as a parenting failure. Any kid ages 8 to 17 who doesn't know enough about fundamental civics to comply with law enforcement and the deadly consequences of physically threatening law enforcement, has not been adequately schooled by their biological or appointed guardian.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Long blade gardening tools are outlawed in Europe and they repossessed any in circulation.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:28 PM
link   

FYI

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:30 PM
link   
The 15 year old charged the officer with a 5 foot bladed garden tool as soon as the officer approached the door. Sounds like officer assisted suicide.

I suppose there are those that would rather read a police officer was gouged to death by a 5 foot garden tool.

Those who think a taser is a good idea against a 5 foot bladed weapon should try it sometime. Tasers don’t stop everyone. I knew someone who was tased and he managed to body slam the officer afterwards.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Might be premature but I'm gonna go ahead and diagnose this situation as a parenting failure. Any kid ages 8 to 17 who doesn't know enough about fundamental civics to comply with law enforcement and the deadly consequences of physically threatening law enforcement, has not been adequately schooled by their biological or appointed guardian.

I agree with that.

Autism now is under such a "wide-span" umbrella - it doesn't really mean much until you know the severity and specifics of the child's diagnosis.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join