It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The refrigerator of the future has been created in Russia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Hello ATS!

I continue to introduce Russian inventions to forum members.

Russian scientists have found that an alloy of nickel, manganese, tin and a small amount of copper under the influence of magnetic fields (with a one-time switching on/off of the magnetic field) is almost irreversibly cooled by 13 degrees. This feature can be used in cooling systems for household appliances such as refrigerators. This will enable more efficient and environmentally sustainable operation. The results of the study, supported by the Russian Science Foundation (RSF), werepublished in the journal Applied Physics Letters.

Cooling systems are used in a variety of devices: air conditioners, refrigerators and more. Most often they work on the principles of compressor cooling. This means that the temperature decrease occurs due to refrigerants - substances (usually gases) that, when evaporated, “take away” heat from the object that needs to be cooled.

The disadvantage of compressor cooling is that refrigerants at elevated temperatures - for example, when defrosting a refrigerator - release toxic compounds: fluorine and hydrogen chloride.

Magnetic cooling is a more environmentally friendly and safer alternative. In this process, a solid changes temperature under the influence of a magnetic field surrounding it. So, if an object is placed in a gradually increasing magnetic field, the substance will begin to cool and absorb heat from the environment. If the strength of the magnetic field, on the contrary, is reduced, the object will release heat and heat up.

Another advantage of this type of cooling is that it can be used to achieve temperatures over a very wide range, including extremely low temperatures. Thus, compared to a refrigerator, which typically operates between +4°C and −20°C, magnetic refrigeration allows one to achieve much lower temperatures, close to absolute zero (-273.15°C).

Scientists investigated the ability of the new alloy to change its temperature under the influence of a magnetic field. The alloy was placed in a device to which constant and pulsed magnetic fields are applied and in which different temperatures are maintained. During the experiment, the scientists used a temperature range from −25°C to +50°C, in which the greatest change in the magnetic properties of the alloy under study is observed. It turned out that in the temperature range from −20°C to 10, the magnetization of the alloy changes sharply, which may indicate significant changes in the temperature of the alloy when exposed to a magnetic field.

The authors managed to maximally reduce the temperature of the samples by 13.15°C. This effect was observed when the alloy cooled to a temperature of 1.85°C was placed in a pulsed magnetic field. In this case, the sample was isolated from the environment and could not exchange heat with it. When the magnetic field was turned off, the alloy maintained a low temperature (about −11°C).

The proposed method allows objects to be cooled by −13°C in just 0.1 seconds. In comparison, it takes an average of one minute to cool a gas-based refrigerator by 1.8°C. Therefore, magnetic cooling shows more effective results. The first examples of application of the invention in household appliances are expected.

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 03:13 AM
link   
This sounds amazing. However, with anything, until I see it I don't trust scientific advancements for civilian use. And, no offense, but I especially don't trust Russian news from you. If true, pretty darn cool and and I hope it gets into production quickly.

S&F for the thread though.
edit on 27-2-2024 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Magnetic refrigeration is known since 1881 by a German physicist Emil Warburg so maybe the OP should say it`s one modification or tweaking that . To claim it`s Russian invention is misleading .

Magnetic refrigeration

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Compression systems work off principle that energy must be added/subtracted into matter in order to facilitate a change of state of the refrigerant.

Latent heat is energy transferred in a process without change of the body's temperature

Specific heat, the quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one Celsius degree.

heat of fusion, is the change in its enthalpy resulting from providing energy, typically heat, to a specific quantity of the substance to change its state from a solid to a liquid, at constant pressure. Also known as enthalpy of fusion.

Much more energy is required to caused a change of state versus simply increasing the temperature.

I wonder how efficient these new types of systems could be if the requirements for enthalpy of fusion are removed.
I am not sure exactly how this system works but it looks like it different then relying on state changes.

a reply to: RussianTroll

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Russia invents alcohol from potato.

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Oh thank the stars it's not a cut a well in the permafrost and store your salted meats and so forth underground joke.

I suppose it would have been in the appropriate forum for that if it were.

Forgive me I woke up early, no coffee in my system yet.

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Kenzo

everything is a glorious great invention by rooshkins. don't matter who did it first.
revisionist history seems to be a thing in russia, and everybody is doing it.

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

i noticed that yes

Creating stories , alternative reality seem to be popular sport in Russia land .

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Had to watch this video to understand magnetic cooling. It certainly looks possible that one day magnetic cooling may be used for refrigeration. Discovering better alloys that make that reality a possibility is a step in the right direction. Thanks RussianTroll.

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I guess when your troops are dying and your economy is failing then you need to find a good way of refrigerating all that meat that doesnt cost much.

Makes sense
edit on pm220242901America/ChicagoTue, 27 Feb 2024 13:05:49 -0600_2000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut

I guess when your troops are dying and your economy is failing then you need to find a good way of refrigerating all that meat that doesnt cost much.

Makes sense

Thank you, I also read the fairy tales of Hans Christian Andersen))))

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Nearly 5k casualties per day ... Thats a lot of russian meat to keep cool...
www.reuters.com...

www.reuters.com...

The end is coming swiftly... No fairy tales needed

edit on pm220242901America/ChicagoTue, 27 Feb 2024 13:32:27 -0600_2000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 01:35 PM
link   

www.reuters.com...

www.reuters.com...

Sorry, but you are a typical victim of communist propaganda))))

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 01:48 PM
link   

www.reuters.com...

www.reuters.com...

So true....

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Am i? Please correct me.

How many russian meat popsicles have been made in the last two years.

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Am i? Please correct me.

The whole world knows that it is a million orders of magnitude less than what the United States did.

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Do they? Please show me one

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I'm suprised RT has claimed dead Russian soliders as meat popsilces is another great Russian invention!!

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kenzo

Magnetic refrigeration is known since 1881 by a German physicist Emil Warburg so maybe the OP should say it`s one modification or tweaking that . To claim it`s Russian invention is misleading .

Magnetic refrigeration

If it’s been known since 1881 then why is nobody else caring? Seems the Russian tweak made a difference and Russia is going to make the invention more used

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Sendmelove1987
what are you talking about , ivan?

www.nature.com...

link.springer.com...

rest assured when it gets done it wont be the russians who do it... i mean they arnt even selling their gas anymore....

www.aljazeera.com...

with fuel running out ...you might wanna get choppin

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join