It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Checking on the status of the website

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogani
So, who is paying for the monthly hosting charges? Who owns the servers the website is on?

On another forum in which I am an administrator the hosting is payed yearly, I suppose ATS must be the same.

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

originally posted by: Mahogani
So, who is paying for the monthly hosting charges? Who owns the servers the website is on?

On another forum in which I am an administrator the hosting is payed yearly, I suppose ATS must be the same.

Yes, and we all recall the expired credit card debacle. Which was the yearly dues, and was in March. I don’t believe we have until May. If memory serves, the third week in March is when that happened.

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogani

We know exactly as much (or as little!) as you. Remaining staff continues to moderate in accord with the T&Cs. As usual, DTOM does most of the work. We are all prepared for the day when we try to log in and are unable to. Toward that end, many of us have set up a place elsewhere.

I am very disappointed in the new owner(s). To have taken a beautiful and functioning, important thing and just thrown it away as an old shoe is horrible. They didn't even have the grace to give it to someone who cared about it. I truly hope and pray that karma is real and that they either fix it or suffer the consequences.

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Any real proof ATS was actually sold? Or is it just another bitter jealousy joke hoax?? 😀

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

I can guarantee you that karma is a real bitch, the issue with her is usually her pimp..

edit on 11-2-2024 by Terpene because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: WingDingLuey

Well, if it had been a hostile takeover, the original owners would have objected, you can be certain. No, that's one thing that is certain. ATS was sold. To whom we don't know. You can review this thread here authorred by Djarums, the leader of ATS staff for more information.

edit on 11/2/24 by argentus because: funky link

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: WingDingLuey
Any real proof ATS was actually sold? Or is it just another bitter jealousy joke hoax?? 😀

It’s clear the SkepticGuy has other endeavors. No way he still owns it.

Farm in upstate NY from the sale.

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Unfortunately, there is a NDA intact that prohibits old owners from disclosing new owners.

That is what I was told anyway.

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 04:07 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Yes. You would think that they would want to introduce themselves to staff, though, yeah? I know I would.

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 04:11 PM
link   

If you were assuming there were good intentions involved, sure.

I think that whatever keeping this place alive is does not have the best of intentions based solely on their actions of not introducing themselves.

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

If you were assuming there were good intentions involved, sure.

I think that whatever keeping this place alive is does not have the best of intentions based solely on their actions of not introducing themselves.

The crystal shop woo woo idea didn’t work. They realized it from the get go with members response to what they were doing.

AND WTF with the banners that are still here?

I’d like Dorko to come back and do an AMA…..

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Agree completely.

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

If we are to take everything told to us at face value, then if they risked the capital involved in the purchasing of ATS, only to lose it then their pockets must be pretty deep.

Deeper than say hocking crystals to an audience that may be interested.

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 04:58 PM
link   

In this situation a rogue element surely has been considered? What did staff do, to make sure things really were, as they were told?

A disgruntled longstanding memeber could cause alot of havoc if you have communication stiffed by NDAs.

I've always thought that the whole thing running ATS and ATN is not transparent enough, and that's only from looking outside in.

If my impression is right this whole debacle is no surprise, social system don't run well with institutionalized secrecy. They are fragile to powerstruggles, and tend to end in confusion for everyone. Give people legal grounds to lie and watch your society crumble once the truth would be better out...

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Maybe it was just a pretty unique data set?

I've heard real human data sets have become rather valuable...

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: KKLOCO

If we are to take everything told to us at face value, then if they risked the capital involved in the purchasing of ATS, only to lose it then their pockets must be pretty deep.

Deeper than say hocking crystals to an audience that may be interested.

It was stated that the new owner is a huge BC profiteer.

Doesn’t surprise me that they lost interest. Probably on a yacht somewhere.

Years back, there were several posters that heavily invested in BC when it was low, and spoke about it here.

We could probably find them by looking at old posts. Because I highly doubt the person that bought the place was not a member previously.

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

Maybe it was just a pretty unique data set?

I've heard real human data sets have become rather valuable...

Certainly cannot be ruled out.

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 05:49 PM
link   

It would fit the AI progression timeline.
It was a good moment to make that deal whomever that was.
synthetic datasets were just becoming relevant, as most of the masses big datasets have been mapped out. Not much was left, those who can't follow the narratives and end up at places like ATS.

A big dataset with a niche mindset of contributors would have been worth alot back then.
Now a days synthetic data set are in most cases more efficient for training purposes.

edit on 11-2-2024 by Terpene because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2024 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It really is sad to see it all go up in smoke. 22 years is a hell of a mark to make on internet history.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join