It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Checking on the status of the website

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
ATS is doing weird things on the 'recent' listing. It's saying that threads have been active in the past ___ minutes (put a low number in), when in fact it had been many hours since someone had posted in the thread. It's been doing it for a few days. I've never seen this before. Weirdness.

yep, I get up in morning my time and see my last post was only a couple of hours ago to the site, I have a memory problem as it is, this is not helping.

Or its just swamp gas.

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Mahogani

Without clear ownership, is there any point to coming back and getting my old account turned back on? Is it three more months and all is gone anyway? Does anyone know?

You think we'll need more time to blow up the entire world before AyeTS goes ByeTS? Fascinating!

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Isn't that why synthetic dataset have become so prominent.

I might be wrong but i imagine that initially the broader the opinions the better. It can be trained to argue every opinion with synthetic data, but synthetic data doesn't has this broadness.
I see Organic data more like a checklist of everything it needs to train on using synthetic data...

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Maybe 10 years ago ....but I doubt ATS is worth anything to anybody these days in terms of data sets.

GIGO.

Respect to the volunteer Mods though as without them - there would be no ATS.

Not sure I'd curate this clusterf*ck for free.

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

My sense of things is that a Musk, Zuckerberg, etc. entity would not just throw a beautiful site as this in the gutter. No, I have to believe that it's merely someone who could afford the vig, tried to use it for their own means, and found it to be too much work.

I want you to understand that it [expletive] KILLS me to see this wonderful place spiral down. This has been my life and the life of many others for more than a decade. If I owned this place and didn't want it any more, I would give it to someone who did. To just throw it away is probably the most terrible thing that can be imagined. It's like burning a field of viable crops in which people are dependent upon, simply because a person is too lazy or hard-hearted to care about their actions.

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jukiodone

It's been a labor of love for most of us.
The ATS Community is unique on the internet IMHO.

It is VERY painful to watch this downward spiral, especially the last couple of years since the sale.

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

or since the site content became a right-wing political echo chamber (my opinion)

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raptured

or since the site content became a right-wing political echo chamber (my opinion)

Funny ... and here I thought it was overrun with left wing Hamas lovers and militant atheists.

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I got banned along with, apparently, a lot of other longtime fellow ATSers in the great purge.
I'm glad I'm back for it's last days.
Thanks, DTOM and mods.

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 04:42 PM
link   
We gotta take these site-neglecting bastards.

Now, we could do it with conventional threads and posts, but that could take years and cost millions of lives.

No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

...and we're just the keyboard warriors to do it.

[With apologies to National Lampoon]]

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

originally posted by: Jukiodone

It's been a labor of love for most of us.
The ATS Community is unique on the internet IMHO.

It is VERY painful to watch this downward spiral, especially the last couple of years since the sale.

Hi DTOM.
Thanks for your leadership, in these stormy waters.

Whadya figure if the " credit-card payment " goes-through, when it come's-up, in the next couple of months, then somebody, somehow, pays the license, or domain-name, that is set to expire in May ?

If it's less than about a grand : perhaps we could do a " go-fund-me " to raise the funds ?

There many billionaire NGO's, to push unsolicited medical treatments on third-world people :
why can there not be a small NGO, or private trust,
that would be up to curating ATS, as some kind of historical " thing ? "

Is there no kind of Internet-History public organization ? ( Other than Wayback.)

It just ain't right ...

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: KnowItAllKnowNothin

It doesn’t work like that.

The owners have to hand over the keys to the database. You don’t just simply have all the archived info by owning the domain.

However, you were correct in your previous post. The only person that we know for a FACT, that knows who the new owners are - is Bill.

Getting him to contact the new owner to find out what’s up, is probably the last hope we have. Would be nice to know something…

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 06:11 PM
link   

No one on ATS has administrative abilities.
So, no control over the "lights".

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO
Thanks for your reply KK-Loco.

I didn't really mean to purchase the domain, I meant to just pay for another year's worth of the licensing fee, or whatever the dreaded expiry thing is.

Then, after that :
I secondarily wonder, whether one paying such a fee, would have any sort of online " squatter's-rights ? "

I don't know KK, just spitballin here.
Trying to find a way-out.

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I understand.
What I meant, was just paying the license fee, from a public side, with no " admin " input, because no one here has access.
The fee is somehow just paid, to the licensing org.

Like when you are at the coffee-shop drive-through, and you tell the server that you are paying for the person behind you's order. You pay, then disappear before they know who to thank.

Sort-of a drive-by license-fee paying ...

Or a drive-through coffee-paying ...

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus
a reply to: stonerwilliam

My sense of things is that a Musk, Zuckerberg, etc. entity would not just throw a beautiful site as this in the gutter. No, I have to believe that it's merely someone who could afford the vig, tried to use it for their own means, and found it to be too much work.

I want you to understand that it [expletive] KILLS me to see this wonderful place spiral down. This has been my life and the life of many others for more than a decade. If I owned this place and didn't want it any more, I would give it to someone who did. To just throw it away is probably the most terrible thing that can be imagined. It's like burning a field of viable crops in which people are dependent upon, simply because a person is too lazy or hard-hearted to care about their actions.

I have spent many a hour here over the 2 decades since I first found a ATS thread in a search I was doing in a Internet cafe
when I first got a home computer I was reading everything I could in the massive database and was I in awe at the great minds that posted well researched threads , years later I made a account and found my voice and learned to question everything .

ATS has lasted a lot longer than a lot of ct sites and is my go to place on the net and it saddens me to think that some rich kid has bought it just to watch it die

Would someone like Sam bankman Fried of FTX fame do such a thing ? This seems to be about a lot more than money or bragging rights .

Hopefully someone is scraping this site for the data Base and this place will live on in a small corner of the net free of absentee landlords

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 06:45 PM
link   
So what is the cost of a site like this?

Asking for a friend.

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 06:48 PM
link   

If you just call whomever the bill is ownd, and say, oh hey you have an open bill for abovetopsecret.com, id like to pay it, can you give me the billing number, and I'll pay right away. That can work.

When it comes to paying due bills most are a little more flexible with the data protection process...

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CarlLaFong
So what is the cost of a site like this?

Asking for a friend.

After what’s happened the last couple years - Pennie’s on the dollar.

However, as I previously mentioned, we have to know who owns it before we can get to that. And Bill holds the keys to the kingdom on that front.

As far as I know, he can’t disclose who it is. But that doesn’t stop him from reaching out to them, to see if they are interested in offloading it. Essentially, opening the door.

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Does anyone know what the actual membership numbers currently are here?
It seems to have dropped significantly after the last recent purge.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join