It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barcelona Dockworkers Vow Not to Load Weapons for Israel or Any Conflict Zone

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 01:01 PM
link   
www.commondreams.org...

The move builds on a growing number of direct actions targeting weapons bound for Israel as its bombardment of Gaza has claimed more than 10,000 lives.

The union representing Barcelona's dockworkers promised Monday not to load or unload military materials onto any ship bound for Israel or another warzone where they could be used against civilians.

In their statement, the Organization of Port Stevedores of Barcelona, OEPB in Catalan, called for a cease-fire in Israel, Palestine, Ukraine, and every other global conflict.

We have decided... not to allow shipping activity in our port that contains military equipment, with the sole purpose of protecting any civilian population in any territory," the union wrote. "No cause justifies sacrificing civilians."

Well done to the dockworkers of Barcelona and their representatives who have argued in favour of a ceasefire not only in Israel-Palestine but everywhere there is a conflict at the moment. Their decision not to load or unload military materials onto any ship bound for Israel or any other warzone is a practise that should be followed imo by all other ports everywhere in the world and shouldn't be viewed only as a symbolic act.

Every day that passes we hear about an increasing number of people all over the world who not only support an immediate ceasefire but also argue that US Arms and Arms supplied by other countries must not be used to slaughter civilians in their thousands. Latest example the mass killings of tens of thousands of innocent civilians by the Israeli Army.

The OEPB has criticised the UN for their inaction and have asked them to do what they suppose to be doing in these cases, such as providing humanitarian aid, protecting human rights, and preserving peace and security globally.

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Leviathan4

The dockworkers will just lose money as the suppliers find another route. Your not gonna stop the war mongers, maybe just slow them for a min.

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 01:20 PM
link   

If only Tehran and North Korea might stop arming the likes of Hamas, Hezbollah and Putin.

Guessing that those dockworkers in those places would not be popular with those regimes.....

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 01:31 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This is an emergency situation, so there needs to be a cease fire right away. For over 3 years we have been informed that the most important thing to do in a time of emergency due to earthquake, war, famine, and pestilence, is to get vaccinated. Even Hamas should have safe access to the covid vaccine. Covid is far more deadly then any war.

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 02:01 PM
link   
It probably won't even slow them down for that long

a reply to: Adlow75yo

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The arms industry is a huge employer and like it or not lots of people would be a lot poorer if they all ceased trading. It is, as they say, what it is.

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Will this only be weapons or will it also include material that can be made into weapons once delivered?

Kuddos to Spain's longshoremen.

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TheWhat

Well so what? At least they have principles, and ethics.
Do the right thing, even if you're alone.

I commend them.

edit on 20/11/23 by TheValeyard because: spelling

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Adlow75yo

The dockworkers will just lose money as the suppliers find another route. Your not gonna stop the war mongers, maybe just slow them for a min.

You make a valid point.

"If not them, someone else will be doing it."

That's the same excuse I used when I was employed with a company that is contributing to the pollution of the neighborhood within which it was located.

I could not use that excuse any longer and walked away.

The company continues, my vacant position filled, the pollution persists.

But I am no longer involved in that pollution, and I am making far far far less money, but at least I can live with myself.

edit on 20-11-2023 by BiothermalReactor because: added "at least"

edit on 20-11-2023 by BiothermalReactor because: "was" and "is" required translocation

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Dp
edit on 20-11-2023 by TheWhat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheWhat

originally posted by: TheValeyard

I commend them.

I never said I didn't admire them.

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Unlikely it will affect them that much and as I said it would be great if this action is repeated throughout the ports in Spain and elsewhere in the world.

The war is only supported by a minority, including those who give unequivocal support to Israel, warmongers, the insane, and some Evangelical Christians...

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

If only Tehran and North Korea might stop arming the likes of Hamas, Hezbollah and Putin.

Guessing that those dockworkers in those places would not be popular with those regimes.....

They did actually say

In their statement, the Organization of Port Stevedores of Barcelona, OEPB in Catalan, called for a cease-fire in Israel, Palestine, Ukraine, and every other global conflict.

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheWhat
The arms industry is a huge employer and like it or not lots of people would be a lot poorer if they all ceased trading. It is, as they say, what it is.

Are you advocating for the weapons industry and the slaughtering of innocent civilians around the world?

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheValeyard

I commend them.

Most sane people have principles and ethics regardless of what the online propagandists want us to believe. Most people are against the war regardless of ethnic backgrounds, religion, and political ideologies. With the possible exception of the ultra right wing fascistoids and some of the Evangelical Christians...

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Leviathan4

The war is only supported by a minority, including those who give unequivocal support to Israel, warmongers, the insane, and some Evangelical Christians...

It's Immaculate Maculation

Maculation, but from the gods of thunder and death and hellfire.

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Sweet! So they also support suspending arms shipments to the Ukraine
I'm behind that one at least. As for Israel, well not like Iran is going to stop their support of hamas so what is the point. That is the issue no one calling out that support. Cry all you want about arms shipments to Israel, with the support hamas has received from Iran for a military venture at the expense of its civilian population I lack any sympathy for their situation.

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: hangedman13

All I can find are mentionings of shipments of humanitarian aid to Ukraine by barcelona dock workers.

Maybe the arms were hidden in there? If you can find a source I will be all over that thread! Intriguing indeed!

Is there a source?

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: hangedman13
I'm behind that one at least. As for Israel, well not like Iran is going to stop their support of hamas so what is the point. That is the issue no one calling out that support. Cry all you want about arms shipments to Israel, with the support hamas has received from Iran for a military venture at the expense of its civilian population I lack any sympathy for their situation.

The support must stop on both sides. Especially when we supply arms to Israel and we give unequivocal support to them (I mean the US Government).

Just as Josh Paul said a few days ago after he resigned from the State Department, stop slaughtering innocent civilians otherwise there would be no military or financial support. We're not obliged or any Western Country to supply arms to Israel to slaughter civilians. It's against every moral code and every principle we have.
edit on 20-11-2023 by Leviathan4 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join