It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Worlds Departure From Organized Religion

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2023 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: midicon
a reply to: Annee

It's a death cult.

It really is.

They live to die for a reward at the end.

posted on Dec, 1 2023 @ 08:21 PM
link   

edit on 1-12-2023 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2023 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: midicon

Pride or haughtiness was also covered as one of the characteristics of the spirit of the world on that page I linked earlier.

Reacting to situations on the basis of pride

It was Satan who first allowed an overestimation of self to corrupt his heart. (Compare Ezekiel 28:17; Proverbs 16:5.) Pride is a divisive force in the world of which he is ruler, causing people to consider themselves better than those of other races, nations, language groups, and economic status. [whereislogic: or more intelligent than those with another worldview for that matter, or another religion; this is also an effect of a specific propaganda technique that plays on pride and also comes in the form of a reverse appeal to pride that plays on our fear of seeming stupid. The article in my signature gets into this.]... —Rom. 12:3 ... .

Note the Bible reference there at the end, that's the verse that comes immediately after the verse that I quoted that was talking about this molding/conditioning phenomenon. The first thing it addresses is this pride issue that is standing in the way of doing what's recommended in verse 2: no longer being molded by this system of things and ending up demonstrating the spirit of the world, but rather being "transformed by making your mind over, so that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God." (by means of seriously considering the evidence, the facts, realities that can be observed, and reasoning on them using logic in a proper effective way, that's how you prove things to yourself, as is elsewhere explained in the Bible, using expressions such as "thinking ability" and "powers of discernment")

Verse 3 says: “For through the undeserved kindness given to me, I tell everyone there among you not to think more of himself than it is necessary to think, but to think so as to have a sound mind, each one as God has given* [Or “apportioned; distributed.”] to him a measure of faith.”

It's hard not to develop an intellectual superiority complex over specific groups or types of people (such as those who believe the Bible is God's word of truth, intended to benefit us and warn us of the type of things I've been bringing up so far), when one is constantly bombarded by these tactics (in heavy use by the entertainment industry when depicting characters that take the Bible seriously, and do not consider it superstitious nonsense):

Playing on the Emotions

Even though feelings might be irrelevant when it comes to factual claims or the logic of an argument, they play a crucial role in persuasion. Emotional appeals are fabricated by practiced publicists, who play on feelings as skillfully as a virtuoso plays the piano.

For example, fear is an emotion that can becloud judgment. ...

Some propagandists play on pride. Often we can spot appeals to pride by looking for such key phrases as: “Any intelligent person knows that . . .” or, “A person with your education can’t help but see that . . .” A reverse appeal to pride plays on our fear of seeming stupid. Professionals in persuasion are well aware of that.

Source: The Manipulation of Information (Awake!—2000)

The propagandist makes sure that his message appears to be the right and moral one and that it gives you a sense of importance and belonging if you follow it. You are one of the smart ones, you are not alone, you are comfortable and secure—so they say.

Source: see link in my signature, which is the next page of the same article
edit on 1-12-2023 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2023 @ 08:59 PM
link   

a reply to: whereislogic

Superstitious nonsense is an insult to my intelligence.

Many such as yourself have been taught and believe the Bible is full of tales and myths. But have you ever really stopped to read it for yourself? I ask that earnestly. It has the mark of being of divine inspiration and not just tales told long ago for several reasons. For example the water cycle wasn't fully understood by science until the 1800's. But notice what the book of Job says written around 3,500 years go:

"He draws up the drops of water; They condense into rain from his mist; Then the clouds pour it down; They shower down upon mankind."-Job 36:27-28.

Do you understand why this simple explanation of the water cycle is remarkable?

Bible writers were also inspired to write that the earth hangs upon nothing and that it is a circle, or sphere:

"He stretches out the northern sky* over empty space, Suspending the earth upon nothing."-Job 26:7.

Is that really a superstition or has it shown to be a scientific fact that the earth hangs upon "nothing?"

"There is One who dwells above the circle* of the earth."-Isaiah 40:22. (*or sphere).

Where did the Bible writers of Job and Isaiah get the knowledge of the water cycle and know that the earth is a sphere and hangs upon nothing?

Later on in Job Jehovah God himself asks this question:

"Where were you when I founded the earth?
Tell me, if you think you understand.
Who set its measurements, in case you know,
Or who stretched a measuring line across it?
Into what were its pedestals sunk,
Or who laid its cornerstone?
"
-Job 38:4-6.

"Who set its measurements, in case you?"
The earth is the right size. If earth were much larger, hydrogen gas would not escape our atmosphere and our planet would be inhospitable to life.

"Who stretched a measuring line across it?"
If the earth was just a little bit closer to the sun it would be too hot for life to exist. If it were but a bit further away it would be too cold.

"Into what were its pedestals sunk?"

We already saw that the Bible says the earth is a sphere and hangs upon nothing. But how does it "hang on nothing?" We may be familiar with the term gravity. And it is because of the sun's pull on the earth that it is able to hang upon nothing. But really not even scientists today can answer back to Jehovah God and explain exactly what gravity is.

We can do this all day. And while the Bible is not a scientific textbook it explains things accurately long before man understood them.

Here is one other thing to consider in this vein although we can chose many more. The Genesis account. It tells us that in the beginning the earth's surface was dark and void of light. And that there was no division of the waters above and the waters below. Basically depicting a water world with a thick atmosphere, imagine that of Venus'. And then it goes on to explain the 6 creative days how God prepared the earth for human life. Stating how he parted the waters above and the waters below. And then collecting the waters together he made dry land appear. And then he created plant life and trees. (And this in turn produced oxygen and cleared the thick gaseous atmosphere enough) and finally the sun and the moon and the stars became visible on the earth's surface. And then he created the sea creatures and the birds that fly in the sky. And then the land animals both domestic and wild. And then finally humankind.

This is a very accurate and simple deception of how life came to be. No it is not just mere superstition. It has all the hallmarks of being authored by the true God.

And this is just on stuff of a scientific nature. Its prophecies are another proof of its divine authorship. Prophecies written in the past that have come to fulfillment. All you have to do is study the Bible a little and you will really see what an amazing book it really is.

Perhaps you do not intend to insult people who have done the investigation and have been satisfied that it really is the word of God with your snide remarks. I doubt you had ill intent toward whereislogic. And I am sure as you are a logical thinker. If you took the time to really study God's word you will see that your judgement of it is very wrong.

I actually authored a thread earlier on why I quote Bible scripture here: The Word of God is Alive

More food for thought for the discerning reader.
edit on Fri, 01 Dec 2023 21:25:01 -0600pm120120231200000001America/ChicagoFri, 01 Dec 2023 21:25:01 -0600 by randomuser2034 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2023 @ 09:18 PM
link   

It's a death cult.

Enjoy Life Forever

posted on Dec, 1 2023 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Yet in 2018 the Catholic church recognised a massive uptick in reports of genuine possession by demonic entities, such that they established exorcism schools around the world for the first time - previously they had only been extant in Italy.

The world is going to Hell in a handbasket, and it is necessary that we reconnect with our religious roots ASAP.

Hopefully we will manage to reconnect appropriately before it's too late.

posted on Dec, 1 2023 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomuser2034

It's a death cult.

Enjoy Life Forever

No thanks.

I have no ill intent towards anyone but I'll call a spade a spade when it appears.

People are free to believe what they want but spreading lies and superstition is harmful. Let's face it, that's all you people do. It's a shame really.

I believe in a sort of down to Earth spirituality where it's all subjective. A little Jung without the projection perhaps. I don't believe in the Jesus narrative any more than I believe in Santa. I'm not interested in any 'afterlife', I'm happy with this one.

posted on Dec, 1 2023 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

Just be decent people, no need to have a book to tell me how to do that.

You are 100% wrong on this point. Your ethics, morals, and subconscious drive to be a decent person is entirely fuelled by your cultural background, which is steeped in Protestant belief & has been for hundreds of years. The general ethical standards which the Western world espouses are derived almost in entirety from Protestant faith & action over the past several hundreds of years, indeed even father back we have sincere Catholic belief as another driver of subconscious ethical belief.

Like it or not, the Western narrative is entirely propped up by the Catholic/Protestant faith, and it is impossible to distort that whether you like to believe that you yourself have developed a uniques system of ethics/morals. Hint: You have not. You have absorbed the cultural phenomena of the Catholic/Protestant faith over dozens of generations, with the morals of the West entirely propped up by the aubconscious beliefs of the church in one form or another, then refined by the Enlightenment period.

posted on Dec, 1 2023 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I'm Christian and I celebrate the glory of every day I am in God's graces and mercy and follow Christ's teachings of peace love and goodwill towards others.

I do not preach of try to convert others.

I've never told others they are going to hell because they are different or have a different path than me.

I simply love and respect all human beings for who they are and wish them well.

Nameste.

The divine in me recognizes the divine in you.

We are all manifestations of the orig8nal creative force that emanated from the big bang therefore regardless of how you understand or interpret God and how you express stories to explain the afterlife its all handled by the same Creator.

He created the Hindu pantheon of God's and Goddeses to watch over those peoples He created the levels of Samsara and the cycles of Dharma he created Nirvana and on and on and so forth.

Good and loving beings and wrathful and destructive beings.

They all emanate from the same origin source.

There are indeed different levels of existence and dimensions beyond our imaginations right now.

There are unseen spirits and various beings some don't have the sight to see and those who interact with them from time to time.

There are fairies and wee folk.

Existence is full of magic and mysteries and I am saddened you do not experience these realities and your life is full of hardships that destroy your ability to believe in such things because for whatever reason you do not experience them or recognize the miracle of your mind and body and all the time and evolutionary processes that had to happen in order to give rise to your existence and how detailed and fascinating intelligent life is in universe comprised of fundamental forces we still are learning about every day...what guides the building blocks of life and causes proteins to create themselves in the primordial sea.

I am sorry you cannot look at new images from the James Webb telescope and view the multitudes of galaxies out there and not feel a sense of awe and wonder of the vastness of creation.

I am sorry you have dealt with so many hardships on your own and in your life but you are a gift and a miracle in this world and I have faith you will know peace and rest when your mission on this earth is complete.

You're a good person Annee.

You may not believe in the same Creator I do but even though you don't feel loved or had A mystical experience that changes your perspective you are a miracle of creation and you are very precious to him.

You don't need to profess yourself a Christian in order to live the lessons Jesus preached and countless other messengers have spread throughout the ages that still persist centuries later because the message is the same regardless of the messenger.

Be kind treat people well and do your best. Don't give up and hang in there it's not going to last forever so try to enjoy what you can while you can.

You know I'm schizophrenic and deal with voices and all sorts of depressive fugues and suffering and it's not easy wondering why I keep suffering for no reason but when you finally fall asleep and wake up without pain you can't help but be grateful for grace and mercy.

I still believe in God despite my trials and adversities.

I'm not saying you have to do the same but just reflect on how everything we know emanated from a single grand explosion of light and matter.

Let there be light.

posted on Dec, 1 2023 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Let's face it, the 'big bang' is falling out of favour lol.

And you have some cheek!

Somehow because someone doesn't swallow your narrative they can't feel a sense of awe and wonder?

I love the magic and mystery of life. I don't need a God for anything.

edit on 1-12-2023 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2023 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I'm not saying you have to believe what I believe.

That's the beauty of freewill.

We don't need to fight over it im just sharing my belief.

I'm Catholic and my husband is Atheist.

We live in harmony because we allow each other our belief systems.

I just felt the need to share my insights from a Christian Scientific perspective and I have an unusual life due to my schizophrenia and have been subject to things most people don't experience so when I say my faith got me through some very hard times and I celebrate a good day without needless suffering or hostile voices attacking me anymore you can't help but celebrate a good day without agony.

My faith helped me survive and endure the worst aspects of my mental illness and put it into perspective so forgive me for celebrating.

I guess you're lucky you don't have the same challenges I do.

That's quite a blessing if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 1 2023 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I'm glad you are in a better place! You seem like a nice person.

I do have challenges and have had a hard life but we each find our way of coping. If faith helped you, then it does have value. I don't deny that. What we place our faith in however can also be harmful.

In reality I'm full of magic and mystery!

I'm also very kind. I realise that doesn't come across in this medium.

posted on Dec, 2 2023 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Oh magic and miracles are very real.

I had an experience of a very severe faction of the Catholic church demanding to know what kind of magic I practiced.

I told them housekeeping and cleaning cooking and plants and making sure my alter was filled with good and beautiful gentle things I found to be good like crystals and litte wire trees.

My alter focuses primarily on Mary holding baby Jesus because it's an homage to her and all compassionate and loving mothers out there.

Anyway I explained all this and they told me it was kosher and to carry on with my path because it showed my alignment and they were satisfied with my answers.

If I was summoning demonic spirits or practicing dark rituals I would have gone down a different path but it's complicated and I won't get into it.

Some Catholics are very hard-core about certain things and others more gentle but we all come together to focus on serving God in the way he made us and we work together.

I showed up for confession once and an ominous bell rang out the moment my foot hit the first step and God told me not to go in so I obeyed and sat on the curb of the parking lot and smoked a cigarette while reading scripture and a woman walked by for confession and quipped "Oh you're THAT kind of Catholic" and I chuckled and returned the sentiment in a jovial joking way.

She didn't find it funny but some hard-core Catholics have no sense of humor about things and that's OK.

Our family mass was always uplifting and lighthearted and even though I hated getting up to go to church I'm glad I did because I always left full of positive energy and renewed in spirit.

I haven't been able to attend mass in several decades because I've been battling mental illness and I have unusual sensitivities to certain things and some of the phenomeon i sometimes experience in church....visions and so forth.

Last time I was called there were new elements and changes going on that caused anger and rage to well up inside me and rather than cause a scene I just left and had a beer at he local watering hole where I felt the peace of christ wash over me on the patio.

I just couldn't tolerate some woman on a loudspeaker vocally intoning the rosary like a dead repeating record.

We always prayed silently in the congregations I attended when it came to that ritual.

Her voice was drowning out the voice of God and I didn't show up to mass to hear a pointless ritual repeated ad infinum.

No offense to tradition and ritual and be that jazz but I'm kind of progressive about somethings and old school draconian hardliners ain't my thing.

I thought it nice I was summoned to participate but I don't swing that way.

No hard feelings just wrong mass for me.

It's very very complicated and I don't follow every hardliner rule in the church because it never ends.

When God wants me to read scripture he guides me.

When God want me to do something I listen to him.

He told me in his silent way of communicating to leave so I did.

I listen to God talking to me over the words of human beings and it doesn't always make sense to some but they are nice enough to let me leave without incident so it's all good.

Not everything going on within the church is my thing but it varies from mass to mass and I'm grateful for the experience and lessons and coming to a better understanding of how varied and diverse the church really is.

There's just stuff going on right now I can't participate In because of who I am and how God made me.

There are those within the church who may not understand but that's OK because God knows and that's what matters.
edit on 12/2/23 by GENERAL EYES because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2023 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomuser2034

It's a death cult.

Enjoy Life Forever

No thanks.

I have no ill intent towards anyone but I'll call a spade a spade when it appears.

People are free to believe what they want but spreading lies and superstition is harmful. Let's face it, that's all you people do. It's a shame really.

I believe in a sort of down to Earth spirituality where it's all subjective. A little Jung without the projection perhaps. I don't believe in the Jesus narrative any more than I believe in Santa. I'm not interested in any 'afterlife', I'm happy with this one.

I was just showing the absurdity of the idea that Christianity is a death cult.

And in all actuality the majority of true Christians who are alive today have the possibility of never dying. Revelation foretells a great crowd which no man is able to count coming out of the great tribulation which culminates in Armageddon. These are the ones that will work hard at preparing the earth for the future resurrection of the untold billions asleep in God's memory.

At that time all will be at peace and harmony. The earth will be healed of its wounds. The animals will reside with humankind. And no wicked man will walk the earth. For everyone will be meek and righteous. And then all the pains and sorrow of this world will just be a memory that is forgotten, and the meek and righteous will live forever in exquisite delight of the abundance of peace.

posted on Dec, 2 2023 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES

I'm Christian and I celebrate the glory of every day I am in God's graces and mercy and follow Christ's teachings of peace love and goodwill towards others.

That's your choice.

You think atheists don't have goodwill towards others? I don't need an excuse to have goodwill towards others.

I've been both Christian and atheist (have you)? And don't come back with "I was never a true Christian" -- I've heard that excuse and others a million times.

Atheist means one thing only: "Lack of belief in a God" -- that's it -- nothing else. They are not anti-god, devil worshippers, or anything else -- except individual people.

As individuals they have beliefs -- just not God.

I was actually raised with metaphysical beliefs (and Christianity) way back in the 50's -- long before most people today heard the word Metaphysics.

I do not believe in any God in the religious sense. But there is more going on than we know.

'

posted on Dec, 2 2023 @ 02:38 PM
link   

You're doing it again.

I never claimed atheists can't be good people and do good works.

I have lots of metaphysical insights myself and found universal truths throughout every cultures belief system I've studied that all speak of the same things.

We could go back and forth about belief systems and studies and cultural mythologies and all our varied interests that we have in common but you insist on arguing and making mountains out of molehills and just saying something nice and supportive about my fixations and manner of expressing myself.

For someone who constantly brags about how she's raising a gifted and sensitive autistic grandson you sure don't seem to recognize the fact that you're talking to another one right now.

Are you this mean to him when he gets a fixation on something you don't personally approve of?

All you had to do was wish me well or say something kind back xa sign of peace and goodwill that you profess to be such a proponent of but you keep pushing the argumentative angle.

I respect you and have told you multiple times how much I wish good things for you but for some reason you can't be nice and do the same for me.

Jesus Annee you still have a LOT to learn about being polite.

That said my done beating a dead horse with you.

Pearls before swine and all that jazz.

Have a nice day don't bother responding I'm done here carry on with your personal crusade alone and with no friends it seems to be the path you prefer.

posted on Dec, 2 2023 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Your postings do stand out to me -- just so you know.

I post in a statement style.

How you perceive it comes from you.

Nothing ill will meant.

<< 4  5  6   >>

join