It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Worlds Departure From Organized Religion

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Elder? Amish? Mormon?

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

One of the AP pages, Nigeria, talks about people who are not religious but have to say they are because they fear for their safety.

I didn't get to that page, but if I recall from years ago; the North is Islam, the South Christian. Killings, kidnappings, torture. Pretty much say whatever you need to to stay alive, depending on where you live.

but I also realize I have no idea what I'll believe in when I'm 130

And here I was hoping to hit 80 maybe

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany

originally posted by: Annee

a reply to: FlyersFan

The shift away from religion is even starker among younger adults, with 43% of 18- to 29-year-old Americans responding "none," when asked which religion they follow.

But fewer than 20% of U.S. adults over 60 are "nones."

I think this also has to do with approaching death. As a whole, yes, the world is absolutely getting less religious. But some of those 'nones' may pick up a religion as they age, in order to make death more palatable.

As the saying goes, "There are no atheists in foxholes."

Except atheists don't say that.

I'm an atheist, an agnostic, and I say that.

I've been in some dangerous situations, not unlike a foxhole. I prayed. I even put a disclaimer in there, "God, I know I don't believe in you, but if you get me out of this one..."

A genuine atheist would not invoke God in a foxhole.

Might wish he/she believed -- but would not invoke God.

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

It was a liberal Christian Church (Disciple of Christ).
I was adult Sunday School teacher, and sometime substitute preacher.
I discovered that some did not believe in literal resurrection of Jesus.
So I started a curriculum on "basics of Christianity", using Barthian Neo-Orthodoxy, Apostle's Creed and whatnot.

The congregation was ready to split. Some ready to follow me as their leader. After deep soul searching and realizing that deep down, there were enough doubts, I chose to run away instead of being the cause of ruining a good thing.

edit on 8-10-2023 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 03:47 PM
link   
the mass migration into USA confirms a loss of religion by the majority Latino Asylum seekers... they used to 'pray' but now think 'worldly' so as to 'get a better life' pragmatically an escape evildrug gangs

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 04:03 PM
link   

The shift away from religion is even starker among younger adults, with 43% of 18- to 29-year-old Americans responding "none," when asked which religion they follow.

I think this also has to do with approaching death. As a whole, yes, the world is absolutely getting less religious. But some of those 'nones' may pick up a religion as they age, in order to make death more palatable.

they mostly come around at a certain point, they start in the how could god if he existed allow this then at a certain point its needed to deal with the trauma of combat. There are always exceptions of course.

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

they mostly come around at a certain point, they start in the how could god if he existed allow this then at a certain point its needed to deal with the trauma of combat. There are always exceptions of course.

NO

That is wishful thinking of believers.

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 04:51 PM
link   

NO

No that is what friends who were combat mos told me, also any number of podcast by veterans that cover the same topic.

or you can wrap yourself in your bubble and scream no.

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Religion.

The problem is, that most religions are man-made! Lets say that there is a God and also his angels. Lets also say that somehow He incarnates to earth and his name is Jesus. I then read that he never intended to create a religion based around Him, or even about God.

After these leaders die, the followers create a religion. man made with the beliefs that are currently existing within the present culture of that time. But cultures change while the Dogma probably does not change. Bingo, a wholesale exit happens.

It is like God creates a church but the worshippers bring in their furniture and luggage. Thus much of any church is of a collection of man made rules and ways to live.

*entire* Christian church organizations do not even believe in Jesus's sayings about Love, forgiveness, and healing.
The Jehovahites are Old Testament only. There are no round corners in this way of living. "Ye shall burn in hell for your sins": end of discussion!

Be careful, though, about secular humanism! The Blind should not lead the blind! Let just one leader, within Humanism, not sense the complete picture, all of his followers are then liable to walk into the ditch!

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Yeshua was asked a similar question by Jews. In fact, they may have been asking if God intentionally did things to certain people. His answer would indicate that things happen due to cause and effect. To a large extent, he has taken a hands off approach, due to mankinds choices. He allows free choice. It is privilege with responsibility. There is accountability.

Here in Luke is where Yeshua fielded the question:
1At that time some of those present told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. 2To this He replied, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered this fate? 3No, I tell you. But unless you repent, you too will all perish. 4Or those eighteen who were killed when the tower of Siloam collapsed on them: Do you think that they were more sinful than all the others living in Jerusalem? 5No, I tell you. But unless you repent, you too will all perish.”

I have also seen in scripture that regardless of what anyone tells you, there is no such thing as an athiest. It states clearly that humanity are spirit beings living in flesh bodies provided by their Creator, and that every single spirit is installed with the knowledge of what they actually are and that they were created. God also knew every being, before they were born.

Quite often so-called atheists are just people who are rebellious to and have a deep hatred toward God. He will give them the separation that they think they want.

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Organized religion around the world is taking a massive hit. Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Etc Etc.

You can scratch Muslim off of that list.

According to various sources, Islam is currently the fastest-growing religion in the world, with predictions indicating that it will overtake Christianity by 2070.

[www.pewresearch.org...]

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I don't think it really moves away from God-things when it moves away from organized concepts. Doesn't lose the original intent. Even agnostics/atheists.

Every Unaffiliated person I've ever met are always the ones likely to have doormats that say, "Please wipe your feet and check your negativity". And then there's a decorative Buddha statue. Even though they are more about laughing and dancing.

It still retains the "right parts", positivity, and even that laid back happy spirit. Like, "You do you. And I'm going to go whatever is fun and makes me happy, maybe I'll see you there".

I'll go with Incubus in 1997:

edit on 8-10-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I think it's a good thing for the world in general. How many wars have been fought over it? How many societies disagree, all because their religions contradict each other?

I'm not an atheist, I believe in some sort of creator. I went to Catholic schools all my life, but any sort of man-made religion never sat well with me.

I'm all for belief without religion.

posted on Oct, 9 2023 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Good. The world focused on doctrines and dogmas and the spirit's all but starved to death.

posted on Oct, 9 2023 @ 04:17 AM
link   

NO

So you don’t have any issues speaking for everyone
That’s amazing

posted on Oct, 9 2023 @ 04:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: freestonew
a I then read that he never intended to create a religion based around Him, or even about God.

He did start a religion. Matthew 16:18-19. "18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

posted on Oct, 9 2023 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

NO

So you don’t have any issues speaking for everyone
That’s amazing

If an atheist turns to God - he/she’s not an atheist.

posted on Oct, 9 2023 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: freestonew
The problem is, that most religions are man-made!

Oops! You made a typo. It's not most but **all**.

posted on Oct, 9 2023 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
So you don’t have any issues speaking for everyone That’s amazing

Well, in this case, Annee is speaking for me. I'm an atheist, technically agnostic as none of us actually know one way or another.

But I've been in 2 life threatening situations, and in all of them I never once said, "Oh God, please, if you're there, I will do X if you do Y for me..." or anything to that effect.

Not out of spite, or personal arrogance. But because I never felt inclined to, I don't believe in that sort of thing so I saw no 'need' to beg for help from a 'God'.

I DID, however, wish I could see my mum one last time and tell her I loved her (which, thankfully, I did because I didn't die).

So, I think in this case, Annee is accurately representing the sentiments of atheists and rational thinkers everywhere.

posted on Oct, 9 2023 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Will the new god be as good. Time will tell.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join