It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy ousted from leadership role in historic vote

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Republicans are so dysfunctional and the Democrats are bipolar. Not sure why they are doing this now and the left will eat it up. Mc Carthy knew what he was getting into.

www.yahoo.com...

Rep. Matt Gaetz’s efforts to oust Speaker Kevin McCarthy were successful as the GOP civil war continues to rage in Congress.

Gaetz, the outspoken Florida Republican who’s dealt with a barrage of scandals since being elected in 2016, has been a consistent antagonist of McCarthy. On Monday night, Gaetz announced he would be filing a “motion to vacate” that if successful would remove McCarthy from his post.

McCarthy and his allies could have handled Gaetz’s motion in a few ways, but they chose to hold a vote to “table” it on Tuesday afternoon. If it had been successful, it would have killed Gaetz’s motion and allowed McCarthy to retain his speakership. It failed, with 11 Republicans defecting.

Later that afternoon, the first vote on a motion to vacate in more than a century passed, ending McCarthy’s speakership. Eight Republicans in total voted in support of the final measure.

“Chaos is Speaker McCarthy,” Gaetz said in a floor speech defending his actions. “Chaos is somebody who we cannot trust with their word.”

McCarthy could run again for the now-vacant speakership, something his allies have suggested is likely.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Not sure why they are doing this now and the left will eat it up.

Because McCarthy was an ass who couldn't lead and never took responsibility for his failures as a leader. Apparently one if the deciding factors was McCarthy's comments last week attempting blame the shutdown on the Dems when it was dysfunctional party and his lack of leadership that was preventing the House from doing anything.

+3 more 
link   

Good. He's a California establishment scumbag. Hopefully they get someone in there with some balls.

I doubt it, but we can hope.

link   
Gaetz is an idiot now the house will be paralyzed less than normal will get done and id wager gop loses the house.

The time to have this fight was last year not heading into the election cycle.

Pointless stand on a hill that didn't need to happen after gaetz and his close circle scuttled the freedom caucus cr.

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Bull#. The people like me who normally don’t give a rat’s ass about politics are tired of politics as usual. McCarthy assumed that he would never be voted out and decided to “F” around. Guess he found out. I’m more inclined to vote straight republican ticket now even though I totally disagree with the religious right and hard core social conservatives.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:12 PM
link   

At this point, it's like watching DC politics - really, any politics in the nation - is like watching King Arthur and the knights of the round thingy battle the killer bunny...

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I'm guessing all that GOP money is going to be drying up for Gaetz' reelection efforts and they'll attempt to primary him.

I can already see the ads now claiming that he sided with the Dems to oust McCarthy.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:17 PM
link   

That statement doesn't even make sense.

They weren't doing anything anyway.

The GOP is still the majority, they can't lose the House. Any GOP representative that votes for a Democrat speaker is finished. Won't happen.

The only thing they need to be doing is passing single subject spending bills where actual spending cuts can happen.

That would not happen with another CR, which is what McCarthy wanted, which is why he is now fired.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
McCarthy could run again for the now-vacant speakership, something his allies have suggested is likely.

I wonder how many times it would take second go round?

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SammyB0476

They had someone they had leverage on, now odds are they will get someone the Democrats want, cause the FC isn't big enough to put someone in the seat.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Never said a democrat speaker but the Dems can dang sure influence who gets the seat, think it will be a FC member, if so I got some ocean front property in South Dakota to sell you.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:23 PM
link   

All I know is, I am just sick and tired of being sick and tired. There are no adults in the room.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:24 PM
link   
It actually proves that republicans aren’t just going to agree with the status quo moving forward!

If you don’t do the job you were elected to do you get replaced. This is his politics should work!

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:28 PM
link   

They already did. That's why McCarthy was in there in the first place.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Something has to change in DC.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:32 PM
link   

So what do you think will happen this time???

They ain't going to let someone sit the seat that they don't approve of, so now we get chaos this only helps the Dems heading into the election cycle.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Passing single line spending bills will show to everyone what DC spends our money on.

No more omnibus spending bills!

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Maybe Vladimir Putin and those subs that they say are off the east coast can help with that. Short of something of that nature, I don't see much hope for change.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:33 PM
link   
He needed to go. He's an establishment goon that didn't keep any of his promises when elected speaker. He made a deal to keep sending money to Ukraine, no impeachment for the boarder Chief or Garland. The only reason he's going after an impeachment on Biden is because he's done so much damage to the Democrat brand they're done with him. Mccarthy is just doing the dirty work for them.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

This is off topic but CISA was added to the injucnction in the Missouri v Biden case.

Baby steps DB

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join