It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boomers ruined America and why are there STILL no term limits?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

I don't think it's disrespecting and discounting the older generation and all their achievements, but rather that many of the older politicians are out of touch with whats going on in society. Furthermore, many of whom, have spent countless years in office and have not contributing anything to changing and revolutionizing the system for the better.

All these years they were content with corporate lobbying and special interest groups and the military industrial complex influencing politics and military decisions.

I totally agree that we should respect older folk who actually have accomplished and done a lot for the country. But, people who are 75+ should simply not be in office. It's time to hand the torch down and do away with some of these politicians that have zero interest in changing the status quo.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Ch1nch1lla

Well, its far more complicated than that. And there has been a lot of "boomers" that did a lot of good for the country as well. But, if i had to generalize, they did not leave the world in a far better place.

Countless wars, all the debt and spending, and massive pollution that the boomer generation simply was not concerned about. And additionally, a political system designed to divide and prop up politicians with the best corporate and special interest backers (aka a politicial system heavily influenced by money).

Having said that, I have no idea if the younger gens will prove to be much better. Well have to see. But it is that time to pass the buck. They've given there shot. Some good, and definietly some bad. Let's hope we can do better.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Two tours of duty and I'm one of the boomer problems that ruined America? Thanks a lot and don't give me any of that "thanks for your service" BS.
edit on 4-6-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: datguy

no, instead you protest over rainbow flags and sex changes for kids.
or cry because the criminal got shot while he was trying to shoot someone else
you pretty much just admited that it wasnt boomers who sent jobs over seas but it was still their fault?

Still their fault they had bills to pay and had families to feed.
Promise me one thing, that you will never start a family, never a marry your loved one, never have kids to feed that way you can focus on changing the world, and the future generations cant blame you for thier problems...ill still be here in 20 years, it goes by fast, cant wait to see what you accomplish

You’re right, time flies by, and you can get a lot done in 20 years. All these complainers can also, if they want to.
Just be sure to not let 20 years slide by without doing anything.
Puts a kink in one’s efforts to make a difference, and their right to complain about everything.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 05:45 PM
link   
As a older guy I will throw in my two cents. Yes, there should be term limits. Having said that I think voter apathy for multiple generations are partly to blame. I am talking about primary elections. The percantage of folks who come out for those is shamefully small. In most cases a easy win for the incumbant. If you can trust elections is another story, but putting somebody that might be better in the general via the primary process would be a good place to start.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: 25shadesofgraybeard
As a older guy I will throw in my two cents. Yes, there should be term limits. Having said that I think voter apathy for multiple generations are partly to blame. I am talking about primary elections. The percantage of folks who come out for those is shamefully small. In most cases a easy win for the incumbant. If you can trust elections is another story, but putting somebody that might be better in the general via the primary process would be a good place to start.

Look at Chicago. They were too stupid to learn from Lightfoot, elected a worse leftist lunatic, instead of a normal republican.
We can have term limits, every 2 years, or 4.
But you do have to be better than a totally blithering idiot.
edit on 4-6-2023 by stevieray because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 06:03 PM
link   
There are more opportunities today than ever in the history of civilization. I'm retired and was self-employed my whole civilian adult life. Anyone who thinks America is "ruined" is an idiot. Find a problem that needs a solution and you're in business. And please, quit whining. Whining doesn't look good on anybody.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: stevieray

Does Chicago even still count? I kinda meant normal Americans

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ch1nch1lla

originally posted by: Irishhaf

I'm sure by the time people my age turn 35

So run for office then, if you want to "fix" things get in office and get after it.

Stop blaming people in the past for decisions they based on the data they had at the time.

That is always people's solution and it is a weak nonanswer. How do people get elected when they have no supporters, no time to campaign. Literally can't run for office because they are and will be active duty military for the foreseeable future?

A better solution is that we energize our voter base and elect younger people who reflect actual pro-America values. Not people who put every other country before America.

Respectfully, we had more younger people vote than ever before in 2020. LOL, I grew up during Rock the Vote, 2020 was an improvement in the younger numbers, but there were over 70 million people who were eligible to vote who didn't. Thats a load of apolitical and apathetic nonvoters.

But if you think this is going to change in 4 years? It's not, it's difficult to change 200 years of motion in one direction.

Here's another for everybody, it's extremely apropos and germane to the thread, as well as extremely NSFW or sensitive ears

Think it's been posted before if not sorry mods I couldn't resist

edit on 4-6-2023 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ITSALIVE

No. Your generation suffers from having a participation only reward system. You don’t have to provide quality work, create a quality product or a quality idea. You grew up with a higher quality of life than the boomers. Are you ever concerned about being drafted? No? But you want to blame someone else for your quality of life. Sounds just right for your generation.

What this gentleman said .....i feel no more need be said lol

All the best

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: stevieray
Lol, your answer literally has nothing to do with what I said. And I’m fine with change, but nice of you to make up a fake life for me.

Young people have a different view of how they want the future, boomers hate it so you call them stupid and even give them insulting nicknames. They'll leave you behind no matter what you think of them. I'm right in the middle at the tender age of 43. I tend to side with the young'ns more than the boomers.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

Lol, your answer literally has nothing to do with what I said. And I’m fine with change, but nice of you to make up a fake life for me.

Young people have a different view of how they want the future, boomers hate it so you call them stupid and even give them insulting nicknames. They'll leave you behind no matter what you think of them. I'm right in the middle at the tender age of 43. I tend to side with the young'ns more than the boomers.

So do I. If they do more than blame the boomers.
I’m just poking fun at people who vote in people like Biden, Lightfoot and her successor, AOC, and so on.
Well deserved spoofage.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 07:07 PM
link   

So do I. If they do more than blame the boomers.
I’m just poking fun at people who vote in people like Biden, Lightfoot and her successor, AOC, and so on.
Well deserved spoofage.

Why do you think people like that are being elected? It's not because of the IQ of the voters.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Two tours of duty and I'm one of the boomer problems that ruined America? Thanks a lot and don't give me any of that "thanks for your service" BS.

Thank you for your service.....

I'm sorry I couldn't help it mate!
If it makes ya feel better I don't blame any one generation for our problems.
It's an accumulation of voting crappy people in and and human greed, and maybe some of the blame is also to be places on Iceland and Costa Rica...

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 07:47 PM
link   
We have a 2 party system who chooses the candidates we get to vote for

There is no win no matter who gets voted in we didn't actually chose them they where bought and paid for long before even 1 vote was cast

Try and change things in favor of the people you will join the Kennedys

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
Try and change things in favor of the people you will join the Kennedys

Wut? I agree with everything else you said, I just don't understand this sentence. I would love to have another JFK, and the only thing that makes me weary of Robert junior is his stance on vaccines. It was before covid. I like a lot of the things he says, but it takes a special kind of dumb to oppose all vaccines.
edit on 4-6-2023 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

I think they are alluding to idea of assassination, or in the case of someone like myself "suicide" or "missing"
I should note now that I am of sound mind (subjective?) and in no way suicidal!

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: datguy
I think they are alluding to idea of assassination, or in the case of someone like myself "suicide" or "missing"
I should note now that I am of sound mind (subjective?) and in no way suicidal!

Oh, gotcha. It is a possibility. It's also a possibility that some racist f#ck assassinated JFK for fighting for the blacks.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

Interesting..not to cause thread drift but since you brought it up I was always followed the theory that JFK was assassinated because of EO 11110..just a theory and since I know you like to "troll" your words not mine...and since you are bashing racist f#cks..better add LBJ in that mix..rummor has it his plan was to have "......" voting democrat for the 200 years..sure its "unproven" but a color telephone call of LBJ makes you wonder..video was uploaded 15years ago.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Replace boomers with human nature and you've got a point. But blaming the generation at the apex of the pride cycle is just lazy and ignores all of the context of human nature.

Strong men create good times > good times create weak men > weak men create hard times > hard times create strong men.

More than boomers ruined America. Gen x did, millennials are, and Gen z will see it through to completion. And that goes without mentioning the silent Generation and greatest generations who raised the oh so terrible boomers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join