It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why or Why Not: Designating ALL Domestic Criminal Gangs as Terrorist Organizations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Hear me out as I know some might agree right away but others might have a few angles to sort out which will balance the topic.

Ok, so designating ALL criminal domestic gang activity as terrorism (domestic)...why or why not?

Under 18 U.S.C. § 2331, you'll find the definition of "international" terrorism. That same part of the US Code separately defines “domestic terrorism” as activities that:

(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State; 

(B) appear to be intended — 

(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; 

(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or 

(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and 

(C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States…”
www.law.cornell.edu...

We can see that domestic terrorism CAN apply to gangs but why hasn't it been? According to "Do Something" dot org, gangs are an incredible threat to the overall stability of a society and country.

Gangs have only become more sophisticated and violent and show no signs of letting up or making a turn for the better. Here are facts about gangs:

1. A gang is a group of people who claim a territory and use it to make money through illegal activities (i.e., drug trafficking). Community organizations can reduce gang activity, so host a basketball tournament at your local Boys & Girls Club. Sign up for Off-the-Street Ball.[1]

2. Gangs can be organized based upon race, ethnicity, territory, or money-making activities, and are generally made up of members ages 8 to 22.[2]

3. Members of gangs wear specific articles of clothing to be recognized as part of the group such as bandanas, hats, scarves of certain colors, or gang-related tattoos or symbols.[3]

4. Gangs are one of the leading factors for growth of violent crimes both on and off school property.[4]

5. When joining a gang, often times there is an initiation that needs to be passed. This initiation is usually a violent crime that could include theft, murder, gang-rape, or drive-by shootings.[5]

6. Gang members are more likely to be arrested or involved with drugs and alcohol than non-gang members.[6]

7. 86% of US cities with a population of 100,000 or more report gang activity.[7]

8. According to the FBI in 2011, there were 33,000 violent street, motorcycle, and prison gangs active in the U.S., with more than 1.4 million members (a 40% increase from 2009).[8]

9. In recent years, gangs are participating in more non-traditional crimes such as prostitution, alien smuggling, and human trafficking, identity theft, and mortgage fraud. These new, non-traditional crimes create higher profitability and lower visibility.[9]

10. According to a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Newark, Oakland and Oklahoma City – are the U.S. capitals of gang homicide.[10]

11. Neighborhood-based gangs pose the highest rate of significant threat for violent crimes in the U.S, versus national-level street gangs, prison gangs, and outlaw motorcycle gangs.[11]

References:
1. USA.gov. "What Is a Gang? Definitions." National Institute of Justice. Accessed April 7, 2014. . ↩︎

2. USA.gov. "What Is a Gang? Definitions." National Institute of Justice. Accessed April, 7, 2014. . ↩︎

3. Howell, Ph.D., James C., Arlen Egley, Jr., Ph.D, and Christina O’Donnell. "Frequently Asked Questions About Gangs." National Gang Center. Accessed April 7, 2014. . ↩︎

4. Grabianowski, Ed. "How Street Gangs Work." HowStuffWorks. Accessed April 7, 2014. . ↩︎

5. Carlie PhD, Michael K.. "The Gang Culture." Into The Abyss: A Personal Journey into the World of Street Gangs. Accessed April 7, 2014. . ↩︎

6. Lebrun, Marcel. "Chapter Seven: Violence and Weapons." In Children in crisis: violence, victims, and victories. Lanham, Md.: Rowman & Littlefield Education, 2011. 79-94. ↩︎

7. Carlie PhD, Michael K.. "How to Join a Gang." Into The Abyss: A Personal Journey into the World of Street Gangs. Accessed April 7, 2014. . ↩︎

8. U.S. Department of Justice. "Early Precursors of Gang Membership: A Study of Seattle Youth." National Criminal Justice Reference Center. Accessed April 7, 2014. . ↩︎

9. Egley, Jr., Arlen. "National Youth Gang Survey Trends From 1996 to 2000." National Criminal Justice Reference Center. Accessed April 7, 2014. . ↩︎

10. U.S. Department of Justice. "2011 National Gang Threat Assessment – Emerging Trends." FBI. Accessed April 7, 2014. . ↩︎

11. U.S. Department of Justice. "2011 National Gang Threat Assessment – Emerging Trends." FBI. Accessed April 7, 2014. . ↩︎
www.dosomething.org...

Now some of that data is a bit old but it gives you an overview of what these gangs are and do.

When you compare what gangs do with the definition of domestic terrorism, why are they NOT domestic terrorists???

Personally, at this point we have slid so far down as a nation I think ONLY drastic actions like designating gangs and cartels as terrorist organizations (domestic & international), are viable solutions.

Or no?

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Because the term "domestic terrorism" was designed for one specific race of people who coincidentally also founded this country.

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 12:46 AM
link   

I can see it now!
Little Jimmy wanted to join a gang back in the day. Now as he is older he now has to figure out which domestic terrorist group would help him on the block....
Go for it I guess...

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Perhaps Jimmy would think twice if he saw that the rest of the gang was legally decimated into oblivion.🤷🏻

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

Oh.

And huh, what about the topic?

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 01:15 AM
link   

I would think that it would be easier to go after them under the Rico act, or taxes. They don’t pay taxes on their illegal gains. Bust a known gang member with a big wad of cash, get him for tax evasion, send him to Leavenworth under hard labor. Worked for Capone. Then you might have a use for 87,000 armed IRS agents, they would get more revenue than going after regular citizens, and it would benefit our country.

It seems that they don’t really want to stop them doesn’t it. Maybe the elites get kickbacks from the cartels?

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Topcraft

I would think that it would be easier to go after them under the Rico act, or taxes. They don’t pay taxes on their illegal gains. Bust a known gang member with a big wad of cash, get him for tax evasion, send him to Leavenworth under hard labor. Worked for Capone. Then you might have a use for 87,000 armed IRS agents, they would get more revenue than going after regular citizens, and it would benefit our country.

It seems that they don’t really want to stop them doesn’t it. Maybe the elites get kickbacks from the cartels?

I considered RICO but I just don't think that's a strong enough deterrent. I mean, look where we are now!

Gangs, and even the idea of forming a gang, needs to be WIPED OUT.

I understand freedom of assembly too, but as soon as you "assemble" as a gang, criminally, you become a domestic terrorist organization by definition and function.
edit on 5/30/2023 by EternalShadow because: eta

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Because the gangs are DC. only protection they have against us. It's always been those against us.

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

Oh.

And huh, what about the topic?

I agree with your point. It logistically sound.

Except........Three letter agencies have traditionally had their hands in gang activities that served mutual interests. They don't have a true interest in dismantling organized crime. Hence my previous comment regarding the purpose of the phrase, domestic terrorism.

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Roger that, thanks. You make a good point that can't be discounted, and really it boils down to accepting that there is no solution. Tough pill.

Even enforcing the laws we already have is kinda naive. That's why any action at this point has to be definitive and final. It's all these groups understand. Otherwise, might as well surrender to their will, lifestyle and rules.

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Because the gangs are DC. only protection they have against us. It's always been those against us.

If you change the wording from government to gang those in power now would fill in virtually all your criteria of domestic violence. Have you not realised yet that the government allows these "gangs" to operate because it suits their purpose.

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The words terrorist and terrorism have about lost any significance. When I see either, my first response is to roll my eyes.

It seems anybody that someone disagrees with is a TERRORIST! People who don't want to shop at Target are TERRORISTS! People who call in bomb threats to Target stores are heroes doing their civic duty.

It's like when I here someone calls a convicted rapist "the gentleman." Actually heard that a couple of days ago.It's like calling an assault or a murder a "hate crime." When is assault or murder not hateful?

Stop with the Newspeak already! Just call them criminals. In the past that designation was sufficient; nothing has actually changed.

:
edit on 2023 5 30 by incoserv because: typos.

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Add Antifa and BLM

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 08:47 AM
link   

They should have been being charged as domestic terrorists since the 20th century. Imagine this country without violent gangs, the KKK, the mafia, the bloods & crips, bLM, and antifa.

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
The words terrorist and terrorism have about lost any significance. When I see either, my first response is to roll my eyes.

Stop with the Newspeak already! Just call them criminals. In the past that designation was sufficient; nothing has actually changed.

:

In light of everything that's going on, it must be nice to have such a cavalier attitude towards it all. That speaks volumes to why nothing ever changes. Not you, just the overall consensus people share in the face of what seems hopeless. I get it.

I don't watch the news, at least not the news you probably do considering the intent of your comment. I'm merely saying we are besieged by groups that are clearly defined as domestic terrorists.

That may not be concerning to you, but these kids and adults being killed left and right meant something to someone, most likely to many someone's.

If this is folly, (which I can admit it most certainly could be), then how about fielding a better solution?🤷🏻
edit on 5/30/2023 by EternalShadow because: eta

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Right?

Night and day. That's very thought provoking.

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Why or Why Not: Designating ALL Domestic Criminal Gangs as Terrorist Organizations?

I am not an American, but I would not want to water down the definition of terrorism any more than nat all nessasery. There are some draconian civil liberty reworking laws applied to whatever "they" define as terrorism.

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

Why or Why Not: Designating ALL Domestic Criminal Gangs as Terrorist Organizations?

I am not an American, but I would not want to water down the definition of terrorism any more than nat all nessasery. There are some draconian civil liberty reworking laws applied to whatever "they" define as terrorism.

I'd be completely fine with labeling them as something else that falls under the same category.

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The repercussions for “domestic terrorist” actions are unfortunately discretionary in the eyes of the justice system, one reason for the gov’s hesitancy to label them as such. You only have to look as far as groups like BLM and antifa, who by definition are domestic terrorist. Not only did our government try not to intervene and stop them, they promoted them, This inaction was fairly exclusive to the Democratic Party from the top down.

Labeling groups or people as domestic terrorist has little to do with what’s best for the country but what’s best for the political agenda.

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Why or Why Not: Designating ALL Domestic Criminal Gangs as Terrorist Organizations

Most domestic criminals are either leftists, fund leftists or vote for leftists.

Or they're Federal honeytraps created for the gullable.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join