It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Cleveland to become the first 15 Minute City in US.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: vNex92

Imagine a Cleveland where everything you need is less than 15 minuses away.

Anywhere with a supermarket near about or within walking distance ticks that box vNex92.

So just about any city in the civilised world could claim the same.

That framework has been the colour of the day since i was a lad in the 80s.

Here in the USA, most of the less affluent areas in inner cities have suffered a dearth of supermarkets available for those shoppers.
Many supermarket chains closed their inner city locations due to shoplifting losses.
It mostly happened since the 1980’s.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Here in the USA, most of the less affluent areas in inner cities have suffered a dearth of supermarkets available for those shoppers.

If that's the case im sure there are plenty of the likes of corner stores that appeared to pick up the spare custom.

Here in the UK i don't know many people who choose to shop anywhere but in supermarkets, because although you pay through the nose, shopping form the likes of corner stores would cost you twice as much(maybe not twice as much but an arm and a leg no less).

Many supermarket chains closed their inner city locations due to shoplifting losses.
It mostly happened since the 1980’s.

Something wrong with security tags and store guards?

Apparently

There are 63,348 Supermarkets & Grocery Stores businesses in the US as of 2023, a decline of -0.6% from 2022.

edit on 28-2-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 08:17 AM
link   

All planned. Why else would EPA and all these agency's get there so fast. Also why the admin won't touch it with a 10 ft pole.

The factory in Fl seems to fit the bill too.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

If that's the case im sure there are plenty of the likes of corner stores that appeared to pick up the spare custom.

Yep.
That’s the reason the people in the inner cities were complaining.
The corner stores and bodegas have higher prices and less selections available. The newspapers used to blame the supermarket chains for being “racist”.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Well, look what happened to the newspapers.

The times they are a changing, same as the way we choose to assimilate information.

As to racist for charging less!

Dont make much sense to me how were the supermarket chains deemed to be racist?

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Here in the UK i don't know many people who choose to shop anywhere but in supermarkets, because although you pay through the nose, shopping form the likes of corner stores would cost you twice as much(maybe not twice as much but an arm and a leg no less).

local butchers, grocers and fishmongers are still far cheaper than own brand or value brands.. very noticeable in covid go local to get yeast, flower and now eggs.. been buying local seasonal food for years now as its cheaper. its rare to not see a queue after 5am..

Tesco small plaice around £3 each (£5+ m&S/Waitrose) when you can get 6 for £5 at the fishmongers its a big draw.. but while i live in one if not the poorest area in the south we still have the local farms and fishermen supplying fresh local produce at prices lower than the big stores..

15 min cities can't work as we killed off local communities needed to run them in favour of globalisation.. even the local gov association is talking of reducing and reversing existing services across all parts of the service offering and all parts of the uk.. especially getting rid of costly buildings they can't heat as our infrastructure continues to fail it'll just get harder to maintain our cities as is let along divide them into ever smaller divisions..

what we risk seeing is repeat of the forgotten cities that died in the reforms of the 60s and 70s.. the levellers did a great song cover it.. though more pronounced for the Americans as we cant just walk away from cities as they can

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Imagine a Cleveland where everything you need is less than 15 minuses away.

Anywhere with a supermarket near about or within walking distance ticks that box

what about factories, offices, libraries council offices, hair dressers, restaurants, cafes., playschools, junior schools, chemists, gps, dentist, opticians clothes shops, train station.. unless you think people only need a supermarket to live the good life..

when I grew up in the 70s we had the locals services that covered it all a few house pubs and a couple of house museums to cover all bases..

we had all the things to make a local life work a superstore doesn't cover it all. the only way to make it work is injecting all the elements they removed in the 60s and 70s, but that means giving up progressive globalism and reindustrialising.. neither of which will happen and neither will the 15 min cities..

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Motorhead

we're making the same mistakes as the 60s and 70s reforming for the sake of doing something rather than making thing better, thus it becomes doomed as people will vote with their feet and these cities die as new ones appear..

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Dont make much sense to me how were the supermarket chains deemed to be racist?

Because the supermarket chains closed the stores in areas that were predominantly black… because of high shoplifting rates.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: nickyw

Local butchers, grocers and fishmongers are still far cheaper than own brand or value brands.

My experience is they are more expensive nickyw, better grub all the same.

And they are also getting few and far between because they simply cannot compete.

If in doubt look at how many were still about back in the 70s/80s compared to today?

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Im not singing the prases of supermarkets nickyw.

But that doesn't mean they are not prevalent and used by most of the public.

Of course, there are goods and services they do not provide.

In this world through, given they way we choose to live and purchase products in bulk, they are a necessity.

People shop for the week fortnight or month in this day of age nickyw as they simply cannot afford to live day to day only purchasing whats required, or at least that is my experience where the colour of the day is concerned.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ancientlight

No different than being a prisoner with an ankle monitor. I'm trying to remain optimistic about the future, that people will revolt and resist this, but it's getting harder and harder

This is no coincidence after the muliple train 'accidents' , all planned

And appearanly also a plane crash full of toxic spill experts (see twitter link) post , again no coincidence!
Why are people not in uproar ?!!

Why are people NOT in an uproar? Well, for one thing, the people who might ordinarily have been in an uproar have left the cities. They could care less what happens in Cleveland. The demographic that remains in Cleveland could care less; all they want is their free stuff and their drugs and for the popo to leave them alone. I would guess as well that a large percentage of the population of Cleveland is recent immigrants too busy to care; too busy trying to figure out which gang or drug cartel to join/back.

Another reason they are not in an uproar? I think it's simply because they don't believe any of it. There's no way in Hades to somehow magically rearrange the infrastructure of Cleveland to make it a 15 minute city. Then there's the services problem; there are probably only 1 or 2 grocery stores left in Downtown Cleveland, maybe 1 or 2 pharmacies. Not sure, so I'll check it out but it's virtually impossible to some how magically re-unite the exurbs to the City center.

They don't believe it; for years now the hype has been about electric vehicles; few have bought them and the few that have, unless their wealthy enough to own an ICE vehicle, have had a miserable experience. No one in their right minds believes that with the current state of the battery technology, EV's are going to replace ICE vehicles.

When you have a population literally trained to doubt ANYTHING that comes out of the mouths of government officials, elected or other wise, you have a population that doesn't believe in much of anything anymore.

ETA: nextcity.org...
There's only 1 grocery store in downtown cleveland.

Groceries are the family business; the brothers are the grandsons of Joe Heinen, who first opened a butcher shop on the east side of Cleveland in 1929. Today, the family has a chain of 19 Heinen’s Grocery Stores across Ohio and Illinois. The newest branch at the historic Cleveland Trust building is the first supermarket of any kind to open in the slowly transforming downtown.

“The conventional wisdom is that a grocery store needs 20, 25,000 people to be feasible,” says Heinen. “There are about 13,000 people in this core area of Cleveland right now. Because there are not enough residents living in that area [to meet that standard minimum], we needed to design a store that appeals to a variety of needs.”

edit on 28-2-2023 by TonyS because: ETA

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I live in a community that would easily be considered a 15 minute city. Everything I need is within 15 minutes and I can either drive, walk, or bike. Elementary, Middle, & High schools. Multiple grocery stores. Restaurants. Dry Cleaners. Big Box stores. Even a weed shop. Mechanics. Movie Theatre. Literally never have to leave the community unless we want to.... it is extremely convenient.

I don't see anything wrong with effective city planning.

Even in rural areas, I can see a Rennaissance of the small, gutted downtowns.

I guess I don't see this as a bad thing. I also don't fault people who want to live in a more spreadout, rural setting either. I'd like a balance when I retire. I want a secluded mountain home, but I also want to be within 15-20 minutes of a developed town with everythign I need.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: LordAhriman
The horror. I WISH I could walk back and forth to a liquor store in 15 minutes!

I don't know who tells you guys what to be outraged about every week, but this week is REALLY dumb!

If you like your doctor… dentist… grocery store… you can keep them, as long as they are less than 15 minutes away!
Yippee!
Freedom of choice!

I wish that was the case. I have to use the VA. they are a two hour drive from me. That also sounds like a lot of hospitals and veterinary hospitals in these areas.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 10:11 AM
link   

And that made them racist?

Supply and demand is the colour of the day, if the supermarkets do it better than the small stores that cannot compete i can't see how that makes them racist.

It might not be very nice regarding the mom-and-pop stores forced to close their doors but racism is not how i would choose to see the lay of the land.

See where i hail from, the small stores don't let the school weans shop in any sort of large numbers because they chorie half the place and products.

Guess that would be ageist as opposed to racist all the same, prudent all the same through if they wish to remain solvent and in business.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I don't know they have that dang lake in the way. Maybe start filling it in!!

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Fifteen minute cities are impractical. Only an idealist would suggest such a stupid idea, especially in the US.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Creep Thumper

impractical anywhere that local communities have been replaced by centralised globalism..

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I'm put in mind of "League of Gentlemen" for some reason.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I live in a community that would easily be considered a 15 minute city. Everything I need is within 15 minutes and I can either drive, walk, or bike. Elementary, Middle, & High schools. Multiple grocery stores. Restaurants. Dry Cleaners. Big Box stores. Even a weed shop. Mechanics. Movie Theatre. Literally never have to leave the community unless we want to.... it is extremely convenient.

I don't see anything wrong with effective city planning.

Even in rural areas, I can see a Rennaissance of the small, gutted downtowns.

I guess I don't see this as a bad thing. I also don't fault people who want to live in a more spreadout, rural setting either. I'd like a balance when I retire. I want a secluded mountain home, but I also want to be within 15-20 minutes of a developed town with everythign I need.

Aww bless, efficient city planning is one thing, but do you agree to only be allowed out of your "handy" quartier for a set amount of times or face punishment?
Imagine you used up your allowance and it's a nice day and you would love to go to the countryside, but you know you'd have to pay a fine (at first).
Later it will be less allowance and harsher punishments, because you will be an eco terrorist or racist or a fascist if you do.
Don't tell me it won't go that far, we have all observed how quickly normal people can get discriminated against. Remember the jabbed vs the purebloods?

There will be reasons they make up that freedom loving people who like to travel will be seen by the complacent as something bad enough to lock us up. Make no mistake.

Also, we have already some designer cities here in the UK, yet even they won't be spared.
Which means it has nothing to do with making your life easier or else those cities would be excempt, but they won't be.

They will always start small and make some shortsighted people agree, before they will tighten the screws.
If you can't see this, you have not had relevant history lessons, or you just didn't listen.

You are helping them. I won't. Ever.
Have seen this in life action (east Germany, parents who lived through WW2) and still learned about true dictatorships at school and how they always start.

We are not even starting any longer, we are well past the first few checkpoints.

Don't be part of the wrong side of history just to have it easier or for a lie (to save the planet, which is in no danger, or to have electronic IDs for an illness that doesn't exist). Seriously.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join