It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Cleveland to become the first 15 Minute City in US.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

The harder concept to overcome is “acceptance of mediocrity”

By that I mean, instead of owning a car and a couple acres far from the crime and noise of the city. A person would have to accept living in a building of 40 or so apartments. Because a modest five floor apartment building takes up the room of four houses with a small (2-3 passes with a push mower) yard.

The first one allows a family to have a garden, chickens and maybe a goat or sheep for milk. The other is complete dependence on the system for survival. Unless some tomato plants in five gallon buckets will feed you all year.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

The folks living on acreage, with at least some level of self-sufficiency, will not be interested in giving that up.

The angle is to make it so that big-talkers like me, living in the city, are having more and more difficulty moving out into the countryside.

Through various measures and tactics, like Blackrock™ announcing they will spend billions to buy-up properties, will tend to leave the small towns and rural areas feeling pressure.

Their taxes will be raised, and their shops will get less and less traffic from outside of their 15 minute area.

One of their new darling concepts is " Sustainable-Development™ ", or Sustainability™.

They will tweak the inputs, so that living in a rural setting will appear to be " Unsustainable™ ", and those there will have their Social-Credit™, ESG™, or Carbon-Credits™ constantly diminished, because they do not rely on Big-Brother™.

Don't really know the future, but you already knew that ...

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 06:56 PM
link   

The folks living on acreage, with at least some level of self-sufficiency, will not be interested in giving that up.

Damn right I wont, ill die on MY hill trying to defend it.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I would rather get a colonoscopy from a rabid wolverine than live that close to that many people.

more incentive to get that house with 5 acres on it I have been looking at.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Fifty years ago around here, there were supermarkets all over that you could walk to within fifteen minutes. Twenty minute walk to a hardware store maybe, people walked to get stuff and carried them back in bags and they did not need a fitness club to stay in shape.

It seems like everything has gone downhill over the years. Those multiple businesses employed more people than the big box stores did. There used to be plenty of lumber yards,and multiple small businesses of many kinds everywhere.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
The horror. I WISH I could walk back and forth to a liquor store in 15 minutes!

I don't know who tells you guys what to be outraged about every week, but this week is REALLY dumb!
Yes and if you can't , and this comes to the area you live than you won't have access to liquor or anything you fancy to do at a whim.
LIke a prisoner, but why do I bother giving you any insight, it's futile.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: butcherguy

Here in the USA, most of the less affluent areas in inner cities have suffered a dearth of supermarkets available for those shoppers.

If that's the case im sure there are plenty of the likes of corner stores that appeared to pick up the spare custom.

Here in the UK i don't know many people who choose to shop anywhere but in supermarkets, because although you pay through the nose, shopping form the likes of corner stores would cost you twice as much(maybe not twice as much but an arm and a leg no less).

Many supermarket chains closed their inner city locations due to shoplifting losses.
It mostly happened since the 1980’s.

Something wrong with security tags and store guards?

Apparently

There are 63,348 Supermarkets & Grocery Stores businesses in the US as of 2023, a decline of -0.6% from 2022.

The "corner stores" you speak of are mostly gas stations here in America. That is why they call certain areas "food deserts" because there is no fresh food available for many miles. Like your choice is gas station chips and hot dog or whatever the gas station might have. One by me has soup and frozen pizzas but the soup is 5 dollars a can that would cost 2 dollars at a grocery store and the frozen pizzas aren't too bad 9.99 each for cheapo brand which would cost about 4.99 at a grocery store. Guards don't work, I know of a security guard at a local grocery store that tried to stop a shoplifter who was pushing out a whole cart of groceries unpaid for and the shoplifter stabbed the guard in the stomach with a knife to get away and the guard almost died. And yes the shoplifter ran off with the full cart and didn't get apprehended for several hours after the fact. If they want to take it, they will.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: vNex92

Whether all of you like it or not, we are killing our planet and we have to do something. I am sitting here in March in South Florida, where yesterday it was 89 degrees F. We literally haven't had a winter here in 3 years now. The jet stream is having a harder and harder time plowing south because sea temperatures are rising. The gulf of Mexico is drastically heating and the next hurricane season is going to be a nasty one I am sure. We have been facing down MULTIPLE cat 5 storms yearly now, and that's NOT normal. The fact that our winters are becoming more extreme in the rest of the lower 48 is not a rebuttal of climate change, it IS climate change as well. Every year the weather events are getting worse and worse. Just wait until tornado season starts this year. I remember back in the 70s, you were lucky if you had one or two cat 1 storms a year, and most never touched land. Now every year we dread the end of summer and what it brings. I remember watching Freeport get totally leveled a couple years ago, and realizing if that storm had just come a little farther west, my house would have probably been destroyed. I have lived in Florida most of my life and if you could just SEE how the weather has altered over the past 40 years you might believe whats being said. Ask the people in Fort Myers if global warming is a hoax. Its not. The climate IS changing. I would rather have a few 15 minute cities than lose a city a year. IF we can even do anything to stop it at this point, it may already be too late. We have to stop being children and realize we can no longer afford to be so self centered and selfish. Part of the problem, is that the people who are lecturing us about this are such spectacular hypocrites. They tell us to change our habits while they fly around on private jets to their multiple homes. THAT needs to change too.
edit on 1-3-2023 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Who in their right mind would give up suburban or country side home to live in concrete housing unit you don't own and can't pass down to your kids. What fun it would be stuck in a housing unit where the landlord won't do a damn thing about thugs hanging around or neighbors with loud music.

If 15-minute cities spread across the US. Where would everyone work. Most of these businesses below would be gone or reduced big time.

Car Dealerships
    Vehicle mfg plants
    Oil Change / Tire shops
    Vehicle repair shops
    Car washes
    Auto/Home Insurance companies
    Auto parts stores
    Hardware stores
    Gas stations
    HVAC companies
    Electricians / Plumbing / Roofing/ Construction companies
    Lawn care companies
    Garage door companies
    Home improvement stores (we don't own the housing units)

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 06:47 AM
link   
More than fifteen years ago there were articles in the USA > Florida > Dade-County > Miami area publications promoting things like "how awesome it is to live in a five (5) minute radius. I take the eleveator down to my coffee shop and yoga class, and have all my things delivered to me.".... Expressions like that.

It was infuriating then, especially when it takes so long just to drive around in such a city, let alone explore just that State. Now I meet people who have never been outside their own County, let alone consider visiting another country.

Delete the Matrix.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: BeNotAfraid

they're still rattling off the 20s/30s/70s garbage of needing to kill of 50% of the worlds population (with some that rises to 75%) .. that is to say all those they dislike.. its what utopia really means.. kill all dissenters.. and why the guy who coined the phase was happy to torture and kill those who did not share his world view..

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 07:17 AM
link   
kind of annoyed by all these efforts to de sprawl America that all seem to forget why we actually did it, always simplifying the issue by claiming it was only because racism, or because the auto industry buying out politicians.

they all seem to not know the true reasons are to slow population growth before it got out of control due to dense urbanization because they already knew about climate change, it was predicted before 1900, they started sprawling in the 1920's because we were easily on pace to match china and india if we didn't do something about it. the second reason we pushed sprawl again during the cold war was to make a nuclear war easier to survive and easier to land and launch planes if runways get destroyed, so we spread and built wide roads, not only that but it was easier to transport goods by truck if rails were destroyed in a war, and even if roads got destroyed they could still drive on dirt. sprawl was designed around survival not racism and greed and abandoning it will only hurt us in the long run.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Isn't that how suburbs are already laid out? Small downtown districts with housing mostly within a 15-30 minute walk?

Basically, what these large cities are saying is they need more dual zoning, so they can build more skyscrapers and put their commercial businesses on the ground floor and the residential above.

You will basically live in the same building you work, shop, entertain, etc.
edit on 1-3-2023 by rounda because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Echo007
Who in their right mind would give up suburban or country side home to live in concrete housing unit you don't own and can't pass down to your kids. What fun it would be stuck in a housing unit where the landlord won't do a damn thing about thugs hanging around or neighbors with loud music.

If 15-minute cities spread across the US. Where would everyone work. Most of these businesses below would be gone or reduced big time.

Car Dealerships
    Vehicle mfg plants
    Oil Change / Tire shops
    Vehicle repair shops
    Car washes
    Auto parts stores
    Hardware stores
    Gas stations
    HVAC companies
    Lawn care companies
    Garage door companies

Wow I didn't even think about that angle of it. The job losses. Guess the labor market is going to get much more competitive once the elites axe all automotive related jobs and industries. That is a lot of people to employ elsewhere. Maybe this is where the UBI comes in....

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

The Earth will be fine and dandy. Humans might not fair too well. And we might end up with different animals. But we didn’t always have mammals. Not too many dinosaurs made it either. Woolly mammoths and saber-tooth tigers don’t run around the US anymore, come to think of it.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011
a reply to: vNex92

Whether all of you like it or not, we are killing our planet and we have to do something. I am sitting here in March in South Florida, where yesterday it was 89 degrees F. We literally haven't had a winter here in 3 years now. The jet stream is having a harder and harder time plowing south because sea temperatures are rising. The gulf of Mexico is drastically heating and the next hurricane season is going to be a nasty one I am sure. We have been facing down MULTIPLE cat 5 storms yearly now, and that's NOT normal. The fact that our winters are becoming more extreme in the rest of the lower 48 is not a rebuttal of climate change, it IS climate change as well. Every year the weather events are getting worse and worse. Just wait until tornado season starts this year. I remember back in the 70s, you were lucky if you had one or two cat 1 storms a year, and most never touched land. Now every year we dread the end of summer and what it brings.

www.wkrn.com...

You might want to get a bit of perspective before you write all that in stone.

If you live in an area recently hit by a big one, you may think it's all changing and the worst it's ever been, but looking at history, using storms to validate climate change won't cut the mustard.

1933: Third most active hurricane season
– Named storms: 20 (9.00 more than average)
– Hurricanes: 11 (5.09 more than average)
– Category 3 or higher hurricanes: 6 (3.48 more than average)

The 1933 season is the Atlantic Basin’s third most active hurricane season in recorded history. It also held the record for the highest amount of wind energy created during the Atlantic hurricane season until 2011.

edit on 1-3-2023 by network dude because: Beto, what a stupid name

posted on Mar, 2 2023 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Ohio Cleveland to become the first 15 Minute City in US.

So the hookers,homeless,drug addicts,are going to be 15 minutes from preschools,kindergarten, and playgrounds.

Progress!

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

originally posted by: LordAhriman
The horror. I WISH I could walk back and forth to a liquor store in 15 minutes!

I don't know who tells you guys what to be outraged about every week, but this week is REALLY dumb!

it's easy to see which kind of posts get the most replies, and those are the negative ones.

It's highly amusing to see agents show-up here, for the only poipose of gaslighting the good members.

In case there's any doubt : am not talking about the OP.

My account is older than yours. Do you really think I registered 9 years ago to shill for vaccines and 15 minute cities?

Accusing as such is against T&C btw.
edit on 3-3-2023 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Motorhead

All fun and games until they close down the Walmarts because they won't prosecute criminals. Same thing will happen here.

Walmart to close ALL Portland stores in March

thepostmillennial.com...

Walmart claimed the decision to shut them down was made due to a lack of profits. Some have questioned, however, if the decision came about as the result of rampant shoplifting.

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Echo007

Car Dealerships
    Vehicle mfg plants
    Oil Change / Tire shops
    Vehicle repair shops
    Car washes
    Auto parts stores
    Hardware stores
    Gas stations
    HVAC companies
    Lawn care companies
    Garage door companies

It's not going to be a choice. You either do it or become assimilated.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join